1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you give up scoring in order to stop your opponent from scoring?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 15, 2011.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

There seems to be a lot of people lamenting at the fact that "the Rockets no longer play defense". So I figure I'd look at the good old days back when JVG and CD were in charge. And indeed, our defense were great back then.

In Rudy T's last year, which included a rookie Yao Ming, the Rockets scored 93.8ppg and gave up 92.3ppg. Good for 14th place for offense and defensive efficiency(which adjusts for pace).

The next year, good old JVG came in and improved our defense all the way to #5! Up 9 spots. Our offense went down to #24, or down 10 spots. Under JVG that year, the Rockets scored 89.8ppg and gave up 88ppg. Keep in mind that Yao made a huge leap too from year 1 to year two. As a result, we improved 2 wins, and outscored our opponent by 1.8 instead of 1.5.

JVG's Rockets did not reach mediocrity in offense until the top 1 or 2 most gifted offensive player at the time came to the Rockets. And then, we really exploded offensively, up to 15th, which was still worse than Rudy's last year, where the Rockets offense was a running joke as we did nothing but isos for Stevie Franchise and Mobley.

Now, I'm not saying the Rockets defense is awesome. I know it's quite bad. But is Gundy-ball really the cure-all for our ailing?

1 person likes this.
  2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

But would you want to see a line up of Lowry, Lee, Battier, Jefferies and Hayes?

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Easy...all of the fans who want to watch a game with a final score in the mid 80's. They'll wait with baited breath on the edges of their seats to see if the Rockets can beat the Spurs 87-85 or lose to the Kings 83-81. :grin:

IMHO, it's not...nor ever has been...about offense or defense. It's about getting players who play well on both sides of the ball. And it's always much easier to get a player with offensive skills to commit to playing D. Much easier than getting offensive value-add from a defensive player who struggles to score in a gym by himself.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Agree -- getting players who play well on both sides of the ball isn't easy, but that last point is spot on. As far as systems go, I'd prefer to have the defensive system/coaching of a JVG and improve the offensive cast. On that team, if you don't play D, you don't play... and for that reason, you'll see more consistency from a defensive team. You can't always hit your three-point shots, but you can always play defense.

5. RareAir

RareAir Member

At some point, you've got to stop the opponent from scoring....As entertaining as offense is in the league, championships aren't won just by scoring (see Steve Nash Suns of a few years ago).

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agee Gater. You need players who can play both sides of the ball.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

So what happened to our offensive cast that went from 14th in the NBA in scoring to 24th in the NBA in scoring with the same players but one year older? JVG had the sophmore Yao. He had all our young players one year older and more experienced. He gave them the defensive philosophy. And as a result, they couldn't play offense.

Or are you saying it's easier to start with JVG and just improve by getting someone like T-Mac? :confused:

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Champions also aren't won by not scoring either. See: Houston Rockets, owner of multiple top 3 defenses of the past decade, 1 playoff victory.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I just think there has to be balance in the lineup and a philosophy to match. Look at the rockets starters and bench players and we see a bunch of 1 way players. If you want a brooks/martin backcourt,then the fronlint needs to be long,agile,versitile players. Continuing the lineup with guys like shane,chuck,and scola doesnt add up.

I've said this before, the rockets have been looking for and adding players who fit adelmans offensive system which in turn make them overlook good,2 way players.I would give up martin for the right player mix.He's not a guy i see as hard to find.. I would take wallace straight up and some for martin. I would take Iggy for martin also. Same goes for luis.

10. GATER

Yep. But allow me take it one step further.

The standard spiel from the ex-coaches and ex-players doing NBA TV games is this. If your outside shot isn't dropping, take it to the basket and get to the foul line. If all you have is a 3 point shot, you can't actualize this.

I guess my operative word would be "balance". Players need to have a balanced skill set. At least the starters IMHO.

Basically agree. But want to broaden your thoughts.

Adelman's Kings did real well with Peja and Christie. Peja could put the ball on the floor and was tall enough to get off a shot over most defenders. Christie was tall enough and athletic enough to switch defensive assignments with Peja. And Christie was a real good transition player. Transition has to be part of the balance we are highlighting.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Gater, doesnt this still sound like the greyhound theory? :grin:

If it were me and I wanted to play Brooks and Martin together I would have Randolph as a 3,Jason Thompson as a 4,and Thaeet as a 5. That way I can bump and slide players. If I bring in chase, i can slide randolph to the 4 and thompson to the 5. If I broght in Lee and patterson, i can sit thompson and martin. The rockets dont have enough guys who can play effectively together.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The pieces just do not fit.....there is a missing chemistry this year....even from last year.....which was not a perfect fit either.

Sometimes it is hard to figure it out, but it is especially hard when you give a tinkerer too many pieces to tinker with....

Adelman should shorten his rotation to 8 1/2 players.....if he wants to win, you can't win by playing 10 players, there are just situations where guys are in that don't know each other well.

And while it is hard to watch Hill struggle lately, it is the organizations fault for trying to get him to play the C position when he is clearly a PF......

So, what is Morey and Co. going to do? ....that is the question everyone is asking....but unfortunatly it is not the right question.

It should be "What CAN Morey and Co. do?"....because trades don't always materialize or work, and the roster as it is....is broken....and has no flexibility to take a look at other players.

Morey has painted himself into a corner.

DD

13. GATER

DaDa -
    In the last year vs this year thread, you just criticized Adelman for playing the starters too many minutes. Here, you want him to shorten the rotation. Can't have it both ways my friend. ;)

But I do think they need to re-configure the variables in the quantitative analysis. :grin:

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

completely agree. no defense no play time. defense is more or less a commitment and effort. play fundamental defense and make other team shoot at low %.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't know if Morey is intentionally taking this approach but we have some really good offensive players. Yet, hasn't anyone noticed we really don't need them to play well offensively?

Brooks goes out, our offense is fine. Miller goes out, our offense if fine. Martin goes out, our offense is fine. Isn't the nature of Adelman's offense such that players move and take what the defensive gives them? Sure, we need a star for clutch situations but this offense works fine with the Lowry's and Lee's of the league. Guys who can produce offensively in multiple ways but aren't great at it. With the roster as is, there isn't really much the coach or anyone else can do to help the situation. I can't be the only one that sees we can move some of these all-offense players, remain a decent offense, and get much better defensively.

With that being said, I don't think Morey cares much about our lack of balance right now. We have zero chance of being a contender without both a star and a long defensive big. I'm sure that's his main focus.

16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Defense wins championships. Nuff said.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Surely if we had a shot blocker in the frontline, our defense improves markedly.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sorry, maybe I am not being clear enough, but you certainly can do both.

Shorten the number of players that are playing and increase the amount of time the bench plays.

I hope that makes sense.

DD

19. Hball

Hball Member

I agree because Van Gundy's system is the type that win championships you just need atleast three all-star talents (that aren't defensive liabilities) to run your offense through like spurs (parker, ginobili, duncan), lakers (kobe, odom, gasol) and celtics (peirce, garnette, allen) we were on the right path with yao, t-mac and gundy we just needed that 3rd all-star and better health.

Now we seem to be going in the phoenix suns/warriors direction high octane offense and no defense in which you gcan win games maybe even a playoff series, but it never wins championships.

20. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Year ORTG DRTG
    90-91 2nd 3rd
    91-92 7th 3rd
    92-93 14th 4th
    93-94 10th 12th
    99-00 11th 10th
    00-01 10th 7th
    01-02 3rd 6th
    02-03 2nd 6th
    03-04 2nd 21st
    04-05 3rd 23rd
    05-06 11th 12th
    07-08 17th 2nd
    08-09 14th 4th
    09-10 16th 17th

Adelman's history does not correspond with what you're suggesting. Only twice has he had a great offensive team and a bad defensive team.

1 person likes this.