1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could the Rockets sign Joe Johnson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketFire, Apr 10, 2005.

1. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

joe johnson a Rocket

hey guys i was wondering how much money do you think joe johnson will demand next year. He is a FA next year and if any way we can sign him up next year?This would be so sweet

Sura
    Joe johnson
    T-mac
    Draft pick or howard
    Yao

thats a nice starting 5.

2. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Damn! What an addition if that will happen...

My perfect off season:

having a 2/3 player - joe johnson or simmons or from draft

having a PF to help JHo which we badly need - from draft or swift or marshall or Reef

getting rid of "ghost" players - moochie and baker (of course this would happen if take in another high paid one who doesn't get any playing time)

having at least one productive player from previous draft - badman or spanoullis

giving a chance to jay williams in order to see what he still have

3. Glish21

Glish21 Member

Ya uh I don't think that is that best title to use. that makes it sound as if he is already a rocket. but good idea

4. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Yeah, also, let's get Shaq. Shaq as a pf with Yao in the middle would be awesome!!! JHo who???

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Either him, or at least may be we can get Sam Cassell for cheap, he is a damn good clutch player despite all his problems (selfish, hard-headed, not true PG, shoots too much for PG, etc.)

I just think if you will add old-ass guys to your roster, you migth as well add good ones, and Cassell is at the top of that list.

I think Joe Johnson is pretty good offensive player, but he is not really the type of player JVG would like to have, because he got no defense. But may be he can learn it.

Seriously, there are SOOOOO many possibilities in the off-season for the Rockets, I just hope we get some major piece to the puzzle this summer, otherwise we would have missed out BIG time on our chance to improve the team and strengthen our standing as a contender.

But I think Deke has to be a priority to sign next season, because with Yao being so foul-prone and with his bad stamina, we will pretty much ALWAYS have to have a solid backup C on this team.

A PF must be acquired somehow. He will HAVE to be a good shooter from 15+ ft away, be able to defend/rebound well, and be young and athletic (a tough formula to find, I know, but it is needed to make us a contending team. The West simply has way too many solid PFs for us to not have one)

I still think a PG is needed, but I think he will have to still be a veteran PG. I wouldn't mind, on the other hand, to mix the backcourt with a young, athletic 2-guard that can make us more athletic in that backcourt to match up with the likes of the Spurs, Suns, Sonics, GS, etc.

6. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

last thing i would want is Cassell. He is finished. He is injury prone and will get tired at the end of the season. we should def. go after johnson, and simmons would be nice too.

I would like for Rockets to sign at least 1 of these guys:
    Joe Johnson
    Bobby Simmon
    Chandler
    Swift
    and any one of the FA from seattle.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Those guys are 7+ million away from breaking the salary cap.

8. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Tigermission1-

I will settle for physical power forward who can rebound and bang-block shots- take physical pressurre off Yao.......

9. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Joe Johnson would be great as a Rocket, but he will command too much money. Yao will get his max extension this summer and we need other help in the backcourt and PF.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Joe Johnson is a stud! And he would be an AWESOME addition to Tmac and Yao! He is young, has a GREAT 3pt shot, great size at 6'8" and can play 3 positions on the floor. Pretty much the idea 2 guard next to Tmac.

But NO WAY can we get him. First he is a RFA. And second, I think he will command huge dollars! People always have to pay a bit HIGHER if a guy is a RFA (versus a regular FA to force the team not to match) and I think someone could give him something in the neighborhood of a salary starting between 8-10M per season.

Charlotte has their eyes on him. And so does Cleveland. Cleveland is looking at Redd, Allen and Johnson. If I were Cleveland I would go after Johnson. Johnson could be Pippen to LeBron's Jordan.

If the Suns want to keep Johnson, they are going to have to pay a TON to keep him. And dont forget they already have a Maxed out Marion on the books, Nash for a ton and soon to be a maxed out Stoudamire. So that makes me wonder if they can even keep Johnson with the salary they already have committed to other players?

11. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

Hes great but this guy is gonna get a ton of money. Focus on a PF.

12. micah1j

micah1j Member

We need a PF & a SG/SF for next year. We are not going to sign someone over the MLE unless it is a sign & trade. Look at all the distressed deals this last year: T-Mac, Baron Davis, Vince Carter, K-Mart, Shaq. Maybe another could come our way.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Who said Joe Jonhson sucks on defense? :rolleyes:

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he is restricted. any contract we sign him to will be matched. the only way he leaves the suns is if he gets a huge deal somewhere else and the suns are smart enough not to match.

I am a little worried about our division next year. the spurs mavs and grizz are all good.

Then look at the possibilities that NOH has in the offseason. with all of thier money a very good big man, and a lot of good young guys. what if they sign swift and joe johnson and draft a great scorer like McCants?

they would have a NICE team:

JM-anderson
    swift-brown
    jj-boki
    mccants-smith
    claxton-dickau

15. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

i got a question. Everyone says this dude demands too much money and that dude demands too much money. Well there are only a certain number of teams that are under the cap. WIth all these players demanding "too much", are there enough teams to go around? Off the top of my head, those who will demand alot of attention:

Ray Allen
    Michael Redd
    Joe Johnson
    Cuttino
    Bobby Jackson
    Larry Hughes
    Simmons

then you've got

CUrry
    CHandler
    Swift
    Kwame Brown
    Zydrunas Illaskldfjal;skfj

That's twelve players who should demand over the mle (maybe not the two bobbys or kwame). I haven't checked b ut there is no way in the world eveyrone on that list off the top of my head is going to get the contract they want. THese are only the one's that i remember too. I mean the pgs we talked about last season; the antonio daniels and the damon stoudmires are going to ask for some, too.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'd rather have Cat then Johson.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you are forgetting about sign and trades. thats how the knicks managed to overpay crawford.

18. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Why do you think we could get Cassell cheap? I thought the main reason behind Minnesota's fall from glory were that he and Spree wanted big contract extensions, and were destroying any team chemistry by pouting about it in the locker room. I think Sam is more concerned with dollars than getting another ring.

19. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

But, the reason Cat was not liked by JVG was because he breaks the play. He is a talent no doubt about it. But JVG has a system he sticks with. When you don't go by that system it messes with JVG. Francis, Taylor, and Mobley did what they wanted under their tenure with Rudy. Taylor the black hole, Mobley and Francis were the dribble kings.

Of any guys the Rockets go after, they are going to have to be disciplined. I haven't seen too much of Joe Johnson, other than the fact I know he can shoot.

But, I like the way the Rockets are building around T-Mac and Yao.

I like Mobley, he brings a lot to the court. But he is not SUPER STAR like T-Mac. If he were, nobody would have a problem with him.

20. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

"wanting" a big contract and "getting" one are entirely two different things. What would he do if he doesn't get it? Not play? Sam would be will-advised by his agents to realize that the market for aging, b****y PG is dwindling, and he won't get a penny above the MLE this coming season. Him and Payton should try to realize that. Plus, may be Cassell would like to come back to Houston, who knows?

Sprewell and Cassell will be mightly disappointed with just how much they are worth in the market this coming season. Just watch and you will see.

BTW, Sprewell is a stud for the right amount of money, he can really help a team like ours and would be a JVG type of guy. But I wouldn't pay him more than $5 mil per to pick him up. He is an excellent defender and has a certain tenacity that the Rockets lack a bit. With that being said, however, Spree clearly wants to move back east to the NYC area. I am not sure either NY teams can take him though, NYKnicks are jammed with bad contracts and all, and NYNets have Carter and Jefferson.

BTW, our guards are going to be excellent trade baits this off-season, you will see! ;) All these good smaller contracts we have will come in handy if we make moves.

#20 tigermission1, Apr 10, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2005