1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The State of the NBA Today

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ghettocheeze, Nov 1, 2014.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I don't usually post much on these boards, so I just wanted to share some thoughts about the league and see if anyone else feels the same.

Lately, I've been slowly losing interest in the NBA in general over the course of the past few years. I thought about it at length and I am beginning to realize why. The league is too concentrated on a handful of topics. Mostly superstar worship: LeBron, Kobe, etc. and their dynasties. To put in the simplest way for me. LeBron has won his two titles already. How more exciting will it be to watch his 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th title?

It's becoming redundant much like the league in general. Honestly, the last time I enjoyed watching a team win a title was back in 2004 - a decade ago when the Pistons pulled the shocker. Since then, we have seen a steady stream of Lakers, Spurs, and Heat dynasties sprinkled with a Celtics or Mavericks title run once in a while. There is no parity in this league. Therefore the outcome is much or less predictable and hence less exciting. The game still has exciting players and talent to watch, but so much of the spotlight is given to a handful that others are completely overshadowed. So, we no longer have heated rivalries with equal talent on both sides. Instead, we focus on the same group superstars to create an entire season's worth of storylines.

In comparison say the NFL - still a league of dynasties (Patriots, Steelers, Giants) has better storylines like the recent Seahawks, Ravens, Packers, and Saints Superbowl runs. Each was unique to a season where it was exciting to root for them as a fan outside of your home team.

That is what's missing in the NBA. Right now, we have penciled in The Cavs or Bulls vs. most likely the Spurs in the Finals. There are no cinderella stories one can get behind. No Legion of Doom that makes playoff series interesting to watch again.

Just my thoughts, and I'm always excited about the Rockets making a run but there is nothing much to root for outside that to compel one to watch an entire 82-game season when the outcome is easily predictable.

2. NotChandlerParsons

I just like watching basketball and don't pay attention to storylines anyway so it doesn't really bother me. Sure there's only a handful of actual contenders at any given time (like 3-4 teams at most IMO) but I still like watching the games play out, the displays of creativity and athleticism. Like watching the Suns beat the Spurs and the Knicks beat the Cavs in the early days of the season has been fun for me, even though both of those teams might very well miss the playoffs entirely.

3. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Just watch the games, listen to guys from NBA TV maybe and you will be alright ;)

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

State of the NBA: Everybody gets a max contract. :)

5. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

The Beverley/Westbrook rivalry is intense, but sadly that's the only individual rivalry I can think of that's genuine and evident during the actual game.

6. gah

gah Member

If you didn't enjoy watching how the Spurs won it last season, then you didn't just lose interest in the NBA, you lost interest in basketball. I would also argue that theirs is a much better story line than the Pistons's.

7. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

100% agree with this. Their comeback from losing the 2013 finals was fantastic.

8. VBG

VBG Member

You don't think any of the title winners recently had a good story?

2014 - Spurs redemption
    2013 - Greatest shot in NBA history maybe
    2012 - Lebron's first ring
    2011 - Dirk's magical run when no one thought they had a shot
    2010 - Celtics - Lakers rewind. 7 game final. Last real shot for a few hall of famers

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The playoffs are fine. I do think that the over-exposed individual stars is getting very annoying. Ironically, it's how Stern created the popularity of the NBA back in the 80s.

Now it is getting old. And who in the 80s would have envisioned an information saturated age where a star player's minuscule detail could become instant global virus?

10. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

This year is SO wide open...this could be one of the most exciting years in recent history

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not sure why anyone would pencil in that.

Blake Griffin is a beast. Dude is shooting 3s now, the Clips are better. If OKC makes the playoffs with Westbrook and Durant they are a factor. The Spurs are the Spurs and maybe there is another contender to come from the Mavs/Blazers/Rockets/Grizz group.

The Bulls are good, no doubt...but Rose is already hurt once again. Just a sprain but the point is, one has to wonder if he's breaking down.

I'm sure the Cavs are coming out of the East but meh, you never know. The East has a lot of question marks in general that we just have to wait and see about.

Plenty of competition in the NBA.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I fealt the same way about the nfl, being a cowboys fan is rough also.

Starting last season though fantasy football has reeled me back in, and now also the cowboys have a pulse for once.

I think the FA time of year is very interesting lately with Howard/melo/lebron/bosh.

13. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Blake Griffin rebounds like a b****....

14. steady

steady Member

It does seem with the salary cap and the domination of star players that eam work and team chemistry has suffered. Almost as soon as any chemistry starts developing and players improve they need to be traded away.

Spurs are a great story precisely because they buck this trend due to their stars' taking pay cuts. But notice they are really the only team in that category.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The league has never had parity. There's been <10 different champions since the 80's.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sucks you feel that way, OP. I love the NBA as much or more than I ever have. Parity has never really been a thing in the NBA, but that doesn't mean there aren't teams that come out of nowhere and play great (see: Phoenix).

Sure, the national ESPN headlines are boring and typical, but I long ago stopped paying great attention to that.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My biggest issue with the NBA and to an extent the NFL
    is that . .. i always feel like some critical call or no call is going to happen to favor the team that is 'suppose to win'

I remember when the Kings got Jobbed against the Lakers
    Since then . . . and Donaghy . . .alot of it now suspect

I feel like I am watching WWE

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

You should watch the last 2 NBA Finals. I think the one 2 years ago set the record for least calls in a series.

19. Classic

Classic Member

I'm much more interested in the home town team, it's young and up-and-coming guys, their development, chemistry and seeing how far the unit can go against the odds.

I couldn't care less and frankly never have about the league and it's propaganda, for lack of a more accurate term, which is mainly driven by corporate sponsors and hack/homer journalists from the large markets[sub ESPN channels] intended to draw viewership from that market.

But yeah^^^, Spurs last year were pretty awesome.

20. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I kind of feel that the league is trending towards this. I think league talent is reaching a high saturation level so that most teams are fielding a decently hopeful starting five, if not this year, in at least in the next couple. As long as the Spurs and Suns show levels of success and as long as the league trends away from favoring diva stars, NBA is good entertainment.