1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Netflix

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Mar 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I have been thinking about getting a Netflix account. I have noticed that they are doing a free trial period (I think it is for 2 weeks). I figured that there are people here that use it. What are your thoughts on it? Is it a pretty good thing to do? What plan do you use? The plan that appeals to me would be the one that is around 16 to 17 bucks where I think it is like 3 rentals a month (?). Any info or experience with Netflix that can be shared would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Good.

Netflix has an endless supply of kid movies, so that's mostly what we get... we have the cheapest... one movie at a time. Meanwhile, Mrs. rimrocker and I watch stuff on the computer... I just spent the last week watching the first year of Heroes.

3. Fatty FatBastard

I hate that I went with the Goliath enemy, but I chose Blockbuster for the sole reason that I can switch out the movies directly at a Blockbuster for free for the times when I don't want to wait a couple days.

$19.99/mo. 3 movies at a time.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's a great service, but the DVDs are always dirty. Just keep some Windex and papertowls handy and everything else is cream cheese.

We're on the 1 rental/month plan and it's only $5.99/month. We used to be on the 3 per month plan, but now that we have TiVo, we don't really have time to watch many movies anymore.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I thought this was going to be a

"what in your netflix queue?" thread from manny

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I used to have Netflix, but now I have blockbuster and I like it much better because I am able to exchange the mailers at the store and pick up movies in the store that have "Long Waits" by mail.

7. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

we've got the 3 rentals/mth deal and love it. we usually do 2 tv shows and 1 movie at a time. i'm not a movie person so my husband watches those.

we like it alot!

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Manny, you're looking at unlimited rentals per month with 3 discs in your possession at a time, I believe. Except for the $4.99 plan (which is what I'm on at 2 rentals per month), every other plan is unlimited per month...just regulating how many you can have at the same time

9. Fatty FatBastard

Oh, there will be. There will be...

10. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I like it...right now I have 3 movies at one time.

Right now, we don't really have time to watch lot of movies but I'll see if next month is same then I'll reduce it to 2 or 1.

No complaints here.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Ah yes that is what it is - thank you for clarifying that for me kaleid. I knew it had something to do with unlimited just couldn't remember exactly what the "unlimited" was for.

Yea, but it will be several months away like at least 6 months away. :p :D

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Its great.
    I do 3 a month and tend to do a 2 movie, 1 TV show rotation. Working through The Wire this year.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I also recommend buying the Roku box. It's like $100 but you can watch all the instant movies on Netflix for free. All you need is internet and you get even more movies.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have the 3 movies a month. I've been a member since 2001 and have really never had a problem with the service. The next movies in my queue get to me within 2 days or so of dropping the ones I watched in the mail, which is much faster than "back in the old days". Try it - you can always cancel if you're not satisfied. They also have the option for you to watch movies on your computer whenever you want. The selection for that isn't as great yet, but there are still a few thousand titles if you go that route.

15. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

We just started the 2 movie at a time plan about a month ago. The service has been great so far, and the turnaround time much faster than I thought it would be. Plus we've found some hidden gems that we probably wouldn't have shelled out $5 for at the video store.

The streaming thing is cool. I haven't had any problems with connections, etc. The selection is rather limited for movies, but lots of TV shows.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh yeah, and if you have an XBox, you can watch Netflix streaming movies via that (I think you need an XBox Live membership, though).

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

We have used Netflix for a few years now. I don't get a lot of time to watch movies, so we end up keeping them for a long time. No late fees, but I don't take advantage of the service the way I'd like, and so I don't get the value I should.

Further, the online download service is only for PC (or at least not for mac supposedly due to apple drm licensing, or the fact that they offer movie rental also, whatever) so that's kinda a bummer for me, since I'm more likely to be able to find time to watch on my Mac than my PC for reasons too long to bore you with.

All that said, I still like the service, and you can access your "queue" by your web enabled cell (www.netflix.com/Mobile/Login) , so that's cool. The interface, ratings system, and recommendations are pretty interesting, and the turnaround for me has always been faster than I could want.

Overall, great service, even if I don't take advantage.

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

oh yeah i did have netflix too and it was a great service while I used it for hd-dvds and blu-rays as well.

i just stopped having time from watching movies all the time. i think i had the same movies for like 3-4 months in a row and i finally had to cancel because of that.

if you do watch enough movies to be able to get like 6-10 a month it is a great service.

if you just let them sit and collect dust you are throwing your money away like i did

19. JJ

JJ Member

20. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

DAMN the DeVIL To HELL, I just Signed Up!