1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Learning from your mistakes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I have to believe that last week didn't work out as DM imagined or even planned for. The quick rebound to Ariza was excellent and his contract reasonable.

However, the Asik and Lin trades were made with the intent of adding a 3rd star and keeping Parsons.

While we can debate and weep over what happened, I wondering if this isn't the gut punch, the hit that knocks your wind out that DM needed to truly be great.

After Bosh left us at the altar, after we had already sent Lin packing it hurt. But when CP25 showed up w/ Cubes in a bar signing a crazy deal it was like Karma was tapping DM on the shoulder to remind him he had done the same thing to the Bulls/Knicks just a few years back.

Most every great leader or person I've read about has failed greatly at some point in their lives, but it was that very adversity that drove them to even greater successes and triumphs.

Perhaps when we look back we'll see July 2014 as point where DM got knocked off his horse, dusted himself off and proceeded to make moves that turns Houston into a championship team. I'm hoping that DM sees these set backs as motivation and uses the losses to drive us to even greater victories.

One can dream! Good night.

1 person likes this.
  2. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

I wish DM would learn from his mistakes and begin building a deep team, instead of star chasing or just acquiring assets. If we do nothing else but plan a run at KD, we waste H&H if KD ends up signing elsewhere. So basically we become the same team that got the 14th pick every year. Only difference is we're a little higher on the ladder now, but still not deep enough to make a real run at a Championship.

3. SPBR

SPBR Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Morey confirmed that the Jeremy Lin trade had nothing to do w/ Bosh. Laker offer was about to go off the table bc of moves they had to make.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/488673587222421505">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>Clutch tweeted this out earlier. Lin's trade was not because of Bosh. The alternative to Parsons leaving was either grossly overpay and limit the Rox ability to make any significant moves or grossly underpay him and piss off Parsons and scare away future players from signing by not making him RFA.

I don't see either moves as failure though it might feel that way because they were significant part of the team. I'm not defending Morey. I just think we should reserve judgment until we see how the whole off-season unfolds.

4. tadahito

tadahito Member

Morey has done an incredible job building the rosters of the Pelicans and Mavs this offseason.

Portland went from 33 wins to 54 wins by adding Robin Lopez and Mo Williams. I can see New Orleans improving from 34 wins by 10+ games with Asik and having a healthy Jrue Holiday and Ryan Anderson.

5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Thanks, I didn't see that tweet. If the Lin trade wasn't tied to acquiring Bosh, then was giving up 1st and 2nd round picks to just clear cap space and create an opportunity for Canaan or Johnson the goal? Inquiring minds want to know!

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey didn't actually say that in his radio interviews. If he said differently in a clutch interview I'd like to hear or read the transcripts.

When asked about it he admitted that the Laker deal was about to come off the table because they were about to use their cap space (the Lakers) but he did not say whether he would have made the deal had he known there would be no Bosh. In fact, when pressed on it by 610 he said something like "i'll let others speculate."

7. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Not this "Morey can do no wrong" ***** again! Face it, Morey made a huge mistake not picking up Parson 1M/per contract, and then low-ball Parson on the offer, and not matching up his contract. If he picked up Parson's contract, even if he strikeout on all big FAs, Rockets would still be in a much better place. 1M is not going to do ***** to your cap.

8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I keep hearing this and my question is how do we know that Parson was on the way out regardless?

How do we know that Parson was not creating a toxic work place?

There are a lot of unknowns to why Morey didn't pickup that last year because we are not a fly on the wall to see and hear what is really happening with Parson or his agent, so basically we keep speculating this or that.

Morey has his reason for doing what he did and we will never know why, so how can we say that he was right or wrong?

T_Man

9. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Do your math. If Morey knew Parson would be offered a 15M/per, wouldn't he rather pay 1M/per to keep him?

Remember, this is just one year after Parson made a huge impact in recruiting Howard to Houston.

10. T_Man

Right... So why should I build around a player that may be out his way?
    Who's to say that CP want cripple them or hold them hostage on a huge contract and they have no other options?

I get your point, but without being in the room there is no way that you can say that Morey made the wrong decision... All we can see is what's in front of us and we have no access to see the big picture that they are developing.

T_Man

11. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

How about the lesson "If you don't appreciate the loyalty of your players, you should not demand loyalty from them"?

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not really sure why the Lakers comment is relevant. The real question is, would Morey try hard to trade Lin if he didn't plan to clear space for the proverbial third star (and Bosh was the last star available at that point)?
    <iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

That is true. Lin's value will keep on increasing till trade deadline. At that point, we should be able to trade him easily. Maybe even at a slightly positive value, since he's a 8.3mil expiring

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only mistake was making Parsons a restricted FA. But maybe he had to do that.

Maybe Morey should have explained to Parsons that it was not that he wasn't the 3rd star but that rather he wanted to make a powerhouse team and that Parsons would be a key cog in that but if they waited he could get a big contract AND we'd be a title contender. Maybe it was managing that situation better.

Morey can be a little too honest sometimes.

15. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

This was my question as soon as I heard Bosh was not coming. By Morey's response, I honestly thing he would like a do-over on that. JLin had to go, but losing that draft pick really hurt. In an alternate scenario, we would still have that pick, plus JLin to fill the backup point — a nice expiring contract at the trade deadline, which coming at mid-season, would be a little more cash friendly to other teams since Les would have already paid a good portion of the $15mil.

16. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

This. Morey took a gamble that he could lowball Parson to some 6-8M/per deal, and lost out badly. For Parson, it is easy to decide: Take a max and be treated as a franchise player, or take a much lower offer and be treated as a scrub?

17. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Maybe if Morey hadn't burned the bridge with Lin with the Melo jersey thing, he wouldn't have to dump Lin's contract so desperately? Morey got totally Morey'ed by Kupchak on this trade. If he kept Lin until trade deadline, he would have a solid PG, a valuable expiring contract that maybe able to net Rockets a pick or two, instead of giving up 2 picks to dump it?

18. T_Man

This I agree with....

19. Snorkin

Snorkin Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear I've read from multiple articles that the Rocekts didn't want to trade Lin until they were certain they were going to sign a big name in FA. After Lebron made his decision to leave the Heat, it was all but certain that Bosh would sign with Houston according to all media outlets and evidenced by the timing of Lin's trade (literally a few hours after Lebron's decision) This tweet to me sounds like a way to save face if I'm being completely honest.

20. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

I believe you are correct.