1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ronnie Brewer will be an UFA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Shoo Away Ronnie Brewer2
    Comments
    Say Something »

6/30/2010 7:20 PM ET By Tom Ziller

PrintAText SizeEmailMore

Tom Ziller
    NBA Blogger
    The Grizzlies traded a conditional 2011 first-round pick* to Utah for guard Ronnie Brewer at the deadline last February, seemingly bolstering a pathetic bench for the stretch run, and at the very worst adding a solid asset going forward. Brewer was finishing the fourth year of his rookie contract, setting him up to be a restricted free agent this July. All Memphis had to do to keep the right of first refusal on any contract Brewer signs this summer is to tender a $3.8 million qualifying offer, with the "risk" being that the guard would sign the offer and play for the Grizz for that dollar amount in 2010-11.

The Grizzlies instead passed on making the offer, according to Chris Vernon of 730 AM in Memphis, and Brewer is an unrestricted free agent as of midnight.

This isn't just cheap, it's silly. The Grizz did pick up two guards in last week's draft, promising wing Xavier Henry and potential back-up point guard Greivis Vasquez. But Memphis supposedly wants to chase a playoff spot. An experienced, defensive-minded guard like Brewer surely wouldn't hurt, especially when the risk is a one-year, $3.8 million contract.

Brewer isn't going to draw huge contract offers, even though his 3-1/2 years with Utah proved him to be a fantastic defender and selfless roleplayer, two qualities most teams need. That's precisely the problem with Memphis' decision: There was no downside to offering up the QO. There was an upside: a chance to potentially get another asset in a sign-and-trade, a chance to keep a quality bench player (or, dare I say it, a Rudy Gay replacement, if needed), an opportunity to decide whether Brewer is worth whatever he can convince another team to pay him.

Share The Grizzlies are in no way threatened by the luxury tax. If Memphis decided to go after a mid-tier free agent like David Lee or even John Salmons, the team would have had the option of revoking the qualifying offer to Brewer before July 23, assuming Brewer hadn't already signed it (which he in all likelihood would not have done).

This new NBA trend of skipping qualifying offers to potential restricted free agents brought into vogue in the case of Charlie Villanueva, Randy Foye and now Brewer is interesting. But in this particular case, it's maddening. It's akin to taking a middle of the first-round draft pick and setting it on fire.

* The pick will go to Utah if the Grizz make the playoffs next season. If Memphis does not do so, it will be deferred to 2012, unless the Grizz have a top-12 pick then. The protection for 2013 is top 10, top 9 for 2014 and 2015. If it still hasn't been conveyed, Memphis pays Utah $3 million.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/30/grizzlies-shoo-away-ronnie-brewer/

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well now we have to route for the grizzlies to suck for the next 6 years so utah only gets cash instead of another lottery pick.

really dumb move on the grizz part. why trade the draft pick if you don't see brewer there long term?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If the Grizzlies care about winning games, this was a dumb move. $3.8 million for ONE YEAR!

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I don't understand why they traded for him in the first place. Why do you trade a first round pick for Ronnie Brewer and then let him walk? I think Brewer would be a great value at the MLE.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would like him in Houston instead of Andersen and Taylor. The Grizzlies are cheap and stupid. One step forward,two steps backwards.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The Grizzlies do a good job of sucking.

7. MONON

MONON Member

When I 1st read this, I was looking for the under-the-table deal senario for the original trade, because I fully expect Brewer to resign with the Jazz. However I can't see any underhanded deal from the Jazz. I think Grizz just stuck their head further up their a$$.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

As one writer pointed out (forgot who), they traded a pick for 5 games worth of Ronnie B.

Great job!

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The Rockets would be better with Brewer at SF than they are with Battier or Ariza. The guy is a straight beast on defense and knows how to score using his strengths (as in not shooting from more than 15 feet).

10. bellclare1

bellclare1 Member

If we can get him please do so. We could afford to lose riza or batt then. Absolute monster on D and can score. I remember Deron Williams being upset when he was traded and now they didn't keep him lol.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

but he can't spread the floor on offense. i like him, but he's not meant to play with a guy like yao.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

haha! is there anyone the rockets can dump on them for a future pick?

13. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Wonder if he will go back to the Jazz.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that would suck.

i doubt it though. i hear the knicks are looking for someone to take their max contract. if mike miller isn't sure about playing PG and C on a 6 man team... i think their next option is Brewer.

15. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

The Grizz really have no need for Ronnie Brewer after drafting Xavier Henry and knowing they are bringing back Rudy Gay. We have Mayo, Henry, Young and Vasquez that can play SG and Gay, Henry, Young and Carroll that can play SF.

The writer saying the Grizz won't be at the luxury tax is making a big assumption that heknows what Rudy Gay's contract will look like. The Grizz are expecting and hoping that Rudy gay gets a front loaded offer sheet which could push his 1st year salary up near $20 million while allowing his later years to be easier to digest and great with the other players we have up for extension.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Grizz also have no need for a 1st round pick, eh?

17. what

what Member

I think what you may not remember is that Brewer did absolutely nothing for the grizzlies last season. If Brewer had show that he was valuable to the grizzlies, then he'd most likely would have been given a qualifying offer. I seriously don't believe that it goes much beyond this fact. Brewer was simply a guy the grizzlies hoped would provide a little bench depth for a playoff run when it looked as though the grizzlies had a shot to do so. But things change in a hurry. Not only did the grizzlies draft Henry, but Sam Young will be a year more experienced and so will demarre carroll and Hasheem Thabeet. Brewer is a luxury that the grizzlies really can't afford at this point.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

so it was a bad move to trade a 1st round pick for someone who they didn't see being there long term.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

His intangibles are through the roof.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Spreading the floor is overrated unless you have a dead-eye three point shooter. Ariza and Battier (at this point) are not dead-eye shooters. Brewer is a superior man defender over either guy IMO (I've said he is a top 3 wing defender for two years now) and light years ahead of Trevor and a more efficient offensive player as well. Sure, he isn't the team defender Shane is and he isn't going to explode for 25 points half a dozen times a season like Trevor but he is consistently a better player than both guys.