1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nic Batum signs with Charlotte, 5 yrs/120 M

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sew, Jul 1, 2016.

1. sew

sew Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Free agent Nicolas Batum has reached agreement with Charlotte on a five-year, $120 million deal, league sources tell The Vertical.</p>&mdash; Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/748788000763490304">July 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Good for him. Now let's lock up Bazemore.

3. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Exactly.

4. malakas

malakas Member

Good for Charlotte. Discount. I didnt see anyone else give one so far.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How is it a discount?

6. malakas

malakas Member

his max was like Derozan's.
    He gave Charlotte a 19 millions discount.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Was someone offering the max?

8. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

A lot of teams would have if they got the chance

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Weird time to announce or even leak out the news of a deal.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

He could've gotten as much as 153 million over 5 years!! That's huge for Charlotte, great deal. One of the best so far.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

How and why? He isn't that good. He was basically injured the entire time. $24 million a season is wow.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Haha, I know. I realize the cap went up and all, but implying that's a good deal is hilarious. They overpaid him like crazy, because they had no other choice.

13. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Not sure your opinion holds up with anyone knowledgeable about pro basketball.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You clearly know oh so much more than I. Please do tell. Teach me how genius the Charlotte Hornets are with their free agent maneuvering.

They overpaid. Everyone is getting overpaid for the next 2 seasons. Pay attention.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yes, they overpaid... By a lot. But at the same time, the market is dramatically inflated. Its almost like saying that you overpaid for a tank of gas when oil is over $100/barrel.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

You fail Economics 101.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

22ish% of the projected cap in 2018-forward, so about $15.5/yr in yesterdays NBA money. He's eating up about 5% more of their cap now (used to play for $11.8m).

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Yes, because you provided so much evidence to back this up as well. I'm glad that's over and I can move on with the next chapter in my life.

19. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

Not sure I know more than you about much else other than this. He got a $120m contract and Charlotte can offer him 7.5% increases. So his first year could easily be at $20.5m with increases that top out around $27.5 his final year. He could also have a flat $24m across all 5 but that seems unlikely if the team wants to try retain as much of their FA class as possible (which they said they do, specifically mentioning their Bird rights and Early Bird rights contracts). So, assuming he's @ $20.5m this year, and considering Kemba Walker had his best year by far with Nic alongside, I'd look at this as a system contract, not limited to Nic. With Kemba + Gilchrist + Nic at $45.5m in 2016-17, that's roughly $15m per. Nic at $24m on a team where he's carrying everything, not a good deal, Nic + Kemba + MKG at $45m? Helluva good value.

Beyond that, they have freed up roughly $5-6m of what they could have been on the hook for with Nic had the paid him a true max. With that savings, who knows what they might be able to do with Williams (maybe not, he's an early Bird), Jefferson (might be able to offer a bit more than bargain basement), or Lee (kind of unlikely as he's going to get more than they can afford but who knows if they can deal Lamb somewhere).

So you say it's some terrible deal is really looking at a very narrow end of the deal. Nic makes that whole team better, and because they have Kemba and MKG on cheap long term contracts, you can average his contract cost across the three of them. You wouldn't be able to do that with say a Whiteside because there's no certainty that he makes those core players better, but we know Nic definitely makes Kemba better. Add a healthy MKG, that's a heck of a trio for $45m per.

So totally not buying for a minute that a) "they overpaid him like crazy" or b) "they had no other choice." They had a lot of options with Nic, Lee, Marvin, Al all on Bird contracts and Lin as a FA they could have pursued if this wasn't the direction they thought it would go. Your opinion may differ but you are going to have a hard time convincing anyone that he got overpaid let alone overpaid like crazy where a Mozgov commands $16m/year, Noah nabs $17m/year, and Bazemore might fetch more than either one of them.

20. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

Sigh do you really need us to spell it out for you. If "everyone is overpaid" then by definition, no one is actually overpaid.