1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Old School Ball Making a Comeback?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This season has started to make me wonder. In the 80's and 90's, superstars just plain didn't like each other. There was none of this "superteam" business going on, with free agents joining forces and such.

Now, with the way the West has become violently competitive, it seems like we're going back to the old days. Just an all-out slugfest night in and night out. In the east you have Lebron still trying to be diplomatic, continuing to paint the picture of young rich black professionals against the Man, but even now we're hearing scuttlebutt about the rest of the league colluding in terms of sharing defensive strategies on how to shut the Cavs down. Clearly people are tired of Lebron's shtick.

Long story short, maybe we're coming upon an era of increased parity once again, with superstars all trying to make it on their own, with teams of at max two dominant guys trying to prove that they're the best. Each team with an us-against-the-world mentality. The elimination of the max salary (or severe curtailing of its maximum limit) will go a long way towards promoting this.

I'm just happy that--if the musical chairs were to stop--we have the biggest guy in the room. You gotta take your chances with Dwight and Harden. I am officially in favor of building around this core, as is. Ariza and Terry are cool, but get us one complementary bulldog PF type, and now we're cooking.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

will read again

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The problem is the collapsing zones the Rockets are facing, Old school Jimbo ball at Syracuse U. The classical method of breaking that type of zone is to shoot over the top of it, but with this lack of range it is very difficult to penetrate a zone, I do not want to like through JFG slug fest after slug fest his season, The Rockets better rediscover their three point shot before tomorrow night.

4. Ghost_of_Akeem

There was no parity in the old days, the Celtics won almost every year so I do not know where you get information from but they told you the wrong way. Superteams and dynasties were MORE prevalent in the early days of the NBA than they are now. Cap restrictions were non existent.

Guys were also allowed to body up on offensive players without drawing a foul for touching another guys fingernail. It used to be a great game. Now days it seems this league (and all professional sports) is trying to turn our incredible athletes into little fairies. You can't touch QB's in football anymore or its a penalty, you can't use your size and athleticism as an NBA center anymore or its a foul, you can't use a custom made bat anymore in baseball you can only use one that will break into pieces when you hit the ball, made by the MLB....etc etc etc. Flopping, sloppy play and excessive celebrations have taken over.

Sports in general have taken a giant turn into the dumpster territory. The fact that so many people are still watching is perhaps the scariest detail in my entire post.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I did enjoy it
    is not old school ball but old school attitude

6. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I hope not. This would just perpetuate Harden's poor FG%

[​IMG]

7. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Ironic considering you are one of those still watching. Or at least I assume so since you took the time to create a CF account and start posting...

8. Ghost_of_Akeem

I still follow my favorite teams because I grew up watching them, its hard to change because its been a part of my life for so long now.

There is no denying though that professional sports in general have become a shell of what they use to be.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm know young buck, but the actual talent and level of competion night in and night out is the best it's ever been. Not to Mention revenue and rating are at an all time high.

Pro sports are not a shell of themselves that's forsure. The players are bigger stronger and faster in all sports. The skill level with the athletism is insane in basketball and football. I just don't buy your argument.