1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A different take on EG's progress

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Feb 22, 2003.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Although it seems that most of us here are disappointed in EG's lack of progress this year (even those who understand he's still just a kid), one thought occurred to me that makes me feel better about it:

If Eddie continues to develop slowly, a la Jermaine O'Neal or Tracy McGrady, we'll probably be able to re-sign him after his rookie contract expires. He won't yet have the stats to be able to ask for really big bucks, and hopefully we can wrap him up for another 4 or 5 years at a decent raise that we can still afford.

If he had a breakout year this year, or if he does next year, then we might not be able to keep him because somebody else is going to have cap space that the Rockets just don't have, and EG would then be in a position to ask for and get it.

Something else (besides Yao) to be thankful for this year, sort of.

2. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Interesting thought.

3. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

What happens if we give him a decent raise for 4 or 5 years and he still doesnt improve.

He has too much potential for us to low ball him completely.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

If all he improves is his consistency, he'll be a worthwhile NBA starter -- 10-15 ppg and 10-12 rpg are decent numbers. It's a much better use of money than, say, Moochie's contract.

While I don't think Eddie's capable of a McGrady-like breakout, I think he can eventually give us what O'Neal is giving the Pacers.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I hope so but I doubt it. have you ever seen Jermaine O'Neal step behind a 3 point line and shoot line drives like a kid at a carnival stand?