1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Lakers--Refs Conspiracy put to death tonight

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RunninRaven, Jun 7, 2001.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For those of you who think the Lakers get all the calls, you should watch the end of this game... I counted at least 3 calls that could have gone the Lakers (but didn't) way if the refs wanted to be biased. Let's break them down:

• Dikembe goes up and over someones back for a rebound. He was higher than them, and there wasn't much contact, but it was over the back, and it could have been called.
      Result--- No call.
    • Kobe Bryant, being swarmed by defenders right and left, simply jumps up and releases the ball flailing his arms Mailman-style looking for a foul. Wasn't really a foul if you looked closely, but could have easily been rationalized by the refs to go the Lakers way.
      Result--- No call.
    • Kobe Bryant, on the Lakers last possession in regulation, spins into the paint, right into two defenders other than Snow. He hits them, they swipe at the ball, it leaves Kobe's hands, and he kicks it out of bounds. This is really two calls, they might could have called a foul, or they could have claimed not to have seen it hit Kobe's foot, and called it Laker ball.
      Result--- 76er ball.
    • In overtime, Iverson finally gets the ball somewhere other than 5 feet outside the 3 point line. He tries to spin into the lane, only to have it blocked off. He very obviously switches pivot feet. A blatant traveling call that not only could have gone the Laker's way, but should have been called.
      Result--- No call.

I can't think of anymore obvious calls at this time, but those 4 or so suffice for me. There is no conspiracy by the refs to see the Lakers win. All of these plays were at the end of regulation, or at some point in overtime. The point is, they were crucial, and could have easily helped the Lakers win the game. In light of these events, I find the conspiracy talk to be very hard to swallow.

Thoughts? [​IMG]

------------------
    CC.NET Sim League Web Page
    My Team (Sonics)

Running, Raving, Exiting, Out.

2. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Weak argument. The Lakers got just as many calls as the Sixers did. Kobe flopped on that turnaround in the lane. Also, he traveled on his spin move layup. How about Foxy sliding on the ground(travel?) and getting the timeout?

------------------

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

There are only a few, lost souls who have nothing else to do and believe in that garbage.

Calls even out. The Lakers got all the calls the last few games. They gots none tonight. Won't get none the next night. Philly is being disrespected just like the Rocks were.

The mighty will fall.

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

4. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

This may be true (can't say myself, don't have that good of a memory [​IMG]), but the calls that matter were at the end of the game (regulation and overtime), and none of those were biased towards the Lakers. The Fox sliding call was not really good, but could be argued both ways in my opinion. He got the ball, then tried to call timeout. Who's to say he didn't make the timeout motion before he was sliding long? But, even conceding that call, it is only one of many that could have been given to the Lakers, and weren't.

Are you just saying that my argument is weak, TPL, or are you arguing that there is a Lakers conspiracy for the refs?

------------------
    My Team (Sonics)

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Almu,

Have you fallen into the NBA's trap?????

They want, no, NEED this series to be competitive. If the Sixers are swept, the NBA doesn't make the megabucks they want from a Finals.

Believe, me the Lakers aren't just the better team, the NBA wants them to win it, so they shall....

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

6. tacoma park legend

I never thought the refs played a part in the Lakers success. No conspiracy here. To say the refs played a major role in this Lakers loss is wrong though.

------------------

7. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Well, then I make my point one more time for all those who believe in that garbage.

Why watch ANY BASKETBALL if we already know who is gonna win? If the NBA has it for the Lakers, why does anyone bother watching? Not even wrestling gives the endings away.

This really sucks because that basically means I will never see my beloved Rockets win another until they get 3 million more people and 11 more communication channels.

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

8. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I never said the refs played a major role in the Lakers loss. I said that there were calls that could have gone the Lakers way, if the refs wanted to be biased, but that didn't.

I thought the game was called very fairly, and it was enjoyable to watch. If there were a conspiracy, some of those calls would have gone to the Lakers.

------------------
    My Team (Sonics)

9. tacoma park legend

My bad Raven,

I thought you were saying the Lakers were somehow screwed out of this game. Now I see your reasoning, and yes I agree, this should put to rest any conspiracy theories.

------------------

10. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I am just waiting for COACH SAMPSON to come out of the woodwork. [​IMG]

------------------
    My Team (Sonics)

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Even though I do not think there is a conspiracy, I think this supports one more than ever.

I just do not see how a team can sweep, IMO, the three best teams in the West and then lose to a much smaller team in the East who has bearly hung on.

Considering Philly almost lost to the Bucks and Hornets.

Actually, I do think its a conspiracy. In the Lackers losing two games, they win on home court and they make that much more money for the NBA.

------------------
    "Bada Bing!"

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

How were any of those "obvious"? You bring up a list of instances where there "may have been fouls" where the refs "could have" called one if they "wanted to". Those are "obvious" examples? Huh?

One thing I learned from Game 1 is that Shaquille O'Neal, at 7'1" 400 pounds, NEVER commits a foul. The guy is unbelievable. He NEVER fouls. He can play 48 minutes, and NOT foul. Isn't he amazing? Anybody who can repeatedly bowl over the Defensive Player of the Year and not get called for a foul has my undying respect.

13. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I think that the refs were fairly consistent except for the calls regarding the centers for each team. Shaq climbs all over peoples back to get an offensive rebound and everyone says, "Oh, what a great hustle play". Thats not hustle, its a loose ball foul. He puts his left arm on Mutombo's shoulder to hold Mutombo down so he doesn't block the shot, and the foul is on Mutombo.

I feel like Shaq gets away with a lot of contact on offense and defense, and his defender is always whistled for any contact. However, Kobe did not get any calls last night. I don't think he should have, and I thought the game was called evenly outside of the paint. While Kobe didn't get a lot of calls, neither did Iverson.

As far as the travelling calls go, both Fox and Iverson travelled. Fox actually shoved McKie out of the way, dove on the ball, and slid 6-10 feet, without a foul or travel. Then again Raja Bell was in the lane about five seconds, and could have been called for travelling before he hit that left handed scoop shot.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

14. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

What I meant by this, Freak, is that these plays were obvious in the context that I layed out in my argument. These were plays that I would imagine the Lakers would get if there were a conspiracy to aid them in winning a championship. They were "obvious" because I could not think of any other calls (towards the end of the game) that stuck out in my mind as one that the Lakers would get if the refs were on their side.

Was obvious the wrong word to use? Maybe. But I can always count on you to debate the irrelevant semantics of an argument. [​IMG]

I do think the refs give Shaq a little too much leeway, but this I attribute to his superstar status, and his aggressive nature. The refs do tend to reward teams that hustle, and play an aggressive, physical game. I think we can all agree that Shaq possesses these qualities.

------------------
    My Team (Sonics)

Runnin', Ravin', Endin', Out.

15. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Well, they had a long layoff, and on top of all of that, Philly is a very different team than the Lakers have had to match up against in the playoffs so far. I don't think they were as prepared as they could have been.

But what about the Rockets second championship? No one expected us, as a 6th seed, to go through all those great teams and then sweep the best team in the East. Was there a conspiracy for us to win? Just because a team does the unexpected, and topples Goliath, even for just one game, does not mean that somehow they had some sinister help from the league.

------------------
    My Team (Sonics)

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Also, Kobe had a nasty all-ball-on-top stuff on an AI shot in the lane, but the foul was called. Also, Snow had a game tying layup late in the fourth where he ran over a still Kobe who was out of the circle. No Call. As for holding, it happened on both IA and Kobe.

The calls were either even or slightly favored the 6ers. But both teams had plenty of chances to win, there was no conspiracy. Shaq and AI were equally great, but the 6ers out gutted the Lakers and Kobe sucked, pretty simple.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Raven -- I forgot, you were arguing against a "conspiracy"...I took it as if you were arguing against the Lakers' getting more calls. I don't think there's a conspiracy, but I think LA consistently gets the calls.

I don't see how you can say this when the only guy in foul trouble was the Defensive Player of the Year, and he just happened to play for the Sixers. Mutombo needs to get more respect from the refs if the Sixers want to win more games in this series.

18. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Well, that I agree with, TheFreak. I think Shaq has way too much freedom to run through people.

But let me ask you this, if you think the Lakers consistently get the calls, why? Do you think it is because they are more aggresive, have two of the best players in the league?

I must admit, I do think they seem to get more calls than they should as well. I just don't like the conspiracy talk. But I have had a difficult time coming up with why the Lakers are favored at times over other teams.

------------------
    My Team (Sonics)

19. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The problem with the Lakers conspiracy is that, aside from being ludicrous, its based on a faulty hypothesis - NBC and the NBA want the Lakers to win.

Let me ask you a question : If Goliath beats David, will anyone care? Probably not.

Now if David beats Goliath, will anyone care? Yes, yes they will.

------------------
    "My name is Harold, and I live here all alone"

20. Kid Crawford

Kid Crawford Member

How can anyone say the Lakers dont get the calls? How about Shaq dislodging the opponent every time he gets the ball. How about traveling or 3 seconds!!?

------------------
    PG- McGrady
    SG- Jones
    SF- Thomas
    PF- Brand
    C- O'neal

YOUR 2000-2001 CHICAGO BULLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Guy Can Dream Cant He???