1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN Insider: Chad Ford Playoff Picks...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

Don't shoot the messenger alright I'm just sharing what was on my Insider account... I KNOW this is from freakin' Chad Ford

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/magazine/magBlog?id=2039748

The West is set

The last day of the season is usually filled with suspense as teams jockey for the final playoff seed and playoff position.

But Wednesday night will be irrelevant in the West this year.

The Western Conference playoff seedings were locked into place Monday night. No matter what happens in the next two days, the playoffs matchups are set.

Here are my initial impressions:

(1) Suns vs. (8) GrizzliesThis could be the only 4-0 series in the first round – but it will still be entertaining. The Grizzlies have played the Suns well this season and split the series with them 2-2. The Grizzlies are the deepest team the league. The Suns have the best starting five. Fratello likes his team to dig in on defense. D'Antoni has been unleashing offensive hell all season. It will be a contrast in styles, but given the Grizzlies' woes of late, I just don't see them hanging with Phoenix. Insider prediction: Suns in 5

(2) Spurs vs. (7) NuggetsThis could be the best series in the playoffs this year. Based on what they've done since the All-Star break, this could be the equivalent of a Western Conference finals preview. Since George Karl took over in Denver, the Nuggets easily have bested the the Spurs both at home and in San Antonio. I still feel that the Spurs are the best team in the league and will find a way to get past the Nuggets. They have more experience, the best player on the floor and home-court advantage. But this one will go down to the wire. Insider prediction: Spurs in 7

(3) Sonics vs. (6) KingsThe Sonics get the best possible matchup -- Sacramento. Against the Nuggets or Rockets, it was very likely that the Sonics were going home. The Kings, on the other hand, are more banged up than Seattle is at the moment. Peja Stojakovic, Brad Miller and Bobby Jackson are all hurt. The Kings are hoping all three are ready for the playoffs, but there are no guarantees right now. The Sonics miss Vladimir Radmanovic desperately, but at least the rest of their team is intact. The Kings can never seem to get a break in the playoffs and I don't expect them to get one this year, either. Insider prediction: Sonics in 7

(4) Mavericks vs. (5) Rockets This might be the second-best matchup in the first round, after Spurs-Nuggets. But I think that the Mavericks' depth should carry the day. The truth is that the Rockets, despite all their additions, are really still a two-man team. Jerry Stackhouse, the Mavs' sixth man, would be the third-best player on the Rockets. As long as Erick Dampier can stay healthy enough to muscle around Yao, I think the Mavs will roll.
    Insider prediction: Mavs in 6

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Spurs vs the freaking, I mean, freaking Nuggets?!?! Best series in the playoffs this year??? I'd go with Miami vs Houston anyday!

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow, if Jerry Stackhouse would be the 3rd best player on the Rockets meant something, think about the great team they assembled last year with Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker. They'd be the first or second option on most teams. They must've won the championship last year.... wait... no they didn't. If all it took was talent to win, the Mavs would have 3 or 4 championships by now.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

:D That's pretty much the same thing I was going to say. Chad Ford sucks.

Sad that people actually pay to read this crap.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with picking the Mavs in 6. But depth is highly overrated in the playoffs. It didn't mean squat for the George Karl-led Sonics teams of the early 90's. It didn't get the Grizzlies a single postseason win last year. And it's never gotten Dallas to the Finals.

The Rockets have a solid rotation. There's a glaring hole at the 4, no doubt. But they've got great depth at the guard and center positions.

Oh, and Chad Ford is an idiot. :)

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sometimes the only reason why this board indulges in these Insider article, despite the infinitude of the internet, is because it isn't free. Personally I'd rather watch scrambled cable p*rn right now than reading Chad Ford's articles.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

:D

8. Varunan

Varunan Contributing Member

Also, the Lakers won three straight with Rick Fox (or Derek Fisher, whichever you prefer) as their third best player. Reason? Because their best two were much better than everybody elses, enough to beat teams that were much deeper than them (Blazers in 2000, Kings in 2002). If Ford wants to say that T-Mac and Yao aren't good enough 1st and 2nd options for us to get out of the first round, he should say it (though I doubt he'd have the balls to). Arguing that Dallas is simply deep, and ignoring that we have one of the best one-two punches in the league, is just crap though.

9. RocketsFAN3035

I posted this in another thread............

Chad Ford is an idiot...............

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it comes down to this:

can we slow down dirk? can they slow down tmac? which second option will step up (yao-fin)?

11. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Chad Ford is an IDIOT!

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

People still read this schmucks articles? I'd rather jack off with a cheese grater than submit my eyes to that torture.

I'm probably the first to say this, but Chad Ford is an idiot.

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

actually their third best player was dick bavetta.

14. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

Chad Ford is stating that Stack would be the 3rd best player on the Rockets but the 6th man for the Mavs as though he's the 6th best player for the Mavs. :rolleyes:

What a moron.

He's the 6th man for the Mavs becuase he and Finley play the same role so one of them has to come off the bench. Also, Stack's game and mentality is more geared to coming off the bench than Finley.

Bottom line: Stack is the 3rd best player on the Mavs also (behind Dirk and Finley.)

15. ikfit

ikfit Member

LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD

16. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

I wonder how much does he earn by writing these garbages?:rolleyes:

17. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

Taking into account that so many talented individuals would take those jobs for free, I would have to imagine that the main benefits of the job are 1) doing what you love and 2) free access to games. Therefore, I doubt that the actual salary compensation is that much.

18. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

at least scrambled p*rn has decent sound........

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

good i want more people to pick against the rockets so our team doesn't think they are hot **** and get full of themselves.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Wait...wait...let me get this straight. The Nuggets will take the Spurs to seven games and the Kings will take Seattle to 7 games, but Dallas will roll over Houston in 6?

Can someone please tell me why this moron was picked over David Aldridge and why Marc Stein doesn't get more ink?