1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How the Country Roots for College Football

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

2. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

College football blows

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Disagree but the map looks nice.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Texas state!

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The 666, baby!!

6. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Longhorn Nation. Hook'em.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Thems fightin words

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WOW. Rice and U of H don't even make a dent? :grin: LOLs

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Why would they? Football fans are zombies and will eat whatever pig entrails ESPN flings at their rotting faces. Why does that make you happy, though? If you live in Houston, you don't have to root for the local universities, but you shouldn't root against them.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm really surprised that Mississippi State is represented more than Ole Miss.

UNC is the most popular college football team in North Carolina? My money would have been on NC state. East Carolina should have at least controlled Greenville

Georgia Tech is a distant 3rd in Atlanta?

Also, lol @ OU being the 2nd most popular team in much of North Texas

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Where is UHD?

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Lighten the hell up, U of H got to coast on coaching hires for three decades and then got two NFL washouts and a flag football offense before ESPN had any kind of grip on college ball; and Rice has spent the last century trying to maintain a Cornell-level education and building the petroleum engineering and refining industries with a Southern and minority enrollment base. UT had three championship level coaches in that same time frame and A&M dominated their conference for a whole decade. You don't suspend your appreciation for excellence and innovation to root for local farm teams.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I couldn't have answered that before light rail. That school reminds me of people trying to start food trucks or design I-phone apps.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

I mean... the school isn't so bad. Their food court is pretty decent.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Lots of LSU & Alabama fans in Mississippi. Folks in San Diego don't like USC. There are lots of Oregon and Ohio State fans spread out west.

Highest concentration I found for one team was 87% for Wisconsin around Madison. In fact, the extremely high concentration around the entire state was incredible. They love their Badgers.

16. dc rock

Okay.

I could mention that Houston won four conference championships in its first eight years in the SWC. I could talk about their top-five finishes, top-twenty finishes, Warren McVea, the Hesiman, and their innovative offenses (Veer, and versions of the Run & Shoot and Spread). Then I could inform you of David Bailiff's recent success at Rice. We could both marvel at the absurdity that Rice is ever competitive in football considering their academic standards are so much higher than nearly all FBS schools. But why do I have to do this?

You failed to properly read what I wrote. I specifically said you don't have to root for the local teams. I said you shouldn't root against them. I've only lived in a handful of cities, but Houston's hostility towards its local universities' sports programs seems very unique. Whether it's belittling them on message boards, news sites, or local radio, I'm baffled when people feel the need to disparage schools that pump millions of dollars into the local economy and provide thousands with jobs.

#16 dc rock, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused: Happy? No.

I don't go to either, but I would have expected at least their zones to be in their color. I'm not "happy", I laughed because it's funny that it's somewhat unexpected. I don't root against ANY Houston-area team. In fact, I go to more RICE games than Univ. of Houston games.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Anybody that has spent any time in Houston knows that UT and A&M are the most popular schools in town.

I didn't go to any of the 3, but I root for UT. The breakup of the SWC effectively turned UH and Rice into minor league schools as far as football is concerned. FWIW if any Texas school is playing, aside from A&M, I want them to win, and I always root for UH and Rice when they are playing against anybody except UT.

I would imagine most UT backers in Houston have a similar story.

19. dc rock

Okay, forgot you're real liberal with smilies. :eek:

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

A lot less invective and emotion than your "zombie pig entrails" ESPN nonsense. Good job sidestepping relevant facts and logic.