1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teacher Hospitalized after Student Punches Him

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by primtim24, Sep 26, 2014.

1. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Didn't see this posted anywhere, please lock if necessary. Student did not want to take the test that the teacher had given, student threatens to leave class, teacher says no, teacher goes to get principal, returns to "swinging student". The worst part of this, is the fact that the teacher did almost all he could do, because if he would've tried to "defend" himself, he'd be in the wrong and probably wouldn't be able to teach anymore.

What's going on out there?!?!?

http://www.click2houston.com/news/teacher-in-hospital-after-student-throws-punches/28254890

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dFesrVGfH8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not surprised at all that this is Spring ISD. When I heard about it on the radio this morning, I guessed it would be.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Was there more punches? Doesn't seem like that punch would hospitalize somebody.

5. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Geez, hit him 7 times? Props to the teacher for keeping his cool. Why didn't any other students step in?

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Spring ISD gonna Spring ISD...

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

was the slow motion and replay at the end of the video really necessary?

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Honestly, I don't know how I would react and I've been teaching 22 years.

9. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

I graduated from Spring High School many years ago. It has been sad to see that district go from being respected to a national joke. I remember when Aldine had the bad reputation. But I don't think it was ever as bad as this.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

Lol @ the parent talking about no respect...

It starts at the house fool. How kids behave outside is a pretty good indication of how they act in the house.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That kid has a dim future.

I was a sub teacher one time at a HS about 25 years ago. A kid flipped my tie in my face. I grabbed his forearm and started squeezing until he begged me to stop.

Couldn't do that now.

12. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Yeah, that's the worst part, because had he even just pushed the kid, he probably would've gotten in trouble....smh

13. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Wow that is unbelievable, however unsurprising given the area where the school is located (low income/working class neighborhood). That area south of FM 1960 isn't safe. It's very sad because until the early 1990s, it was very different and prosperous (anyone remember the heyday of Greenspoint Mall).

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good job by the teacher to remain cool. The sad thing is that depending on the district it might even be hard to get that kid removed from the classroom, and he shouldn't be in a general ED classroom where he can disrupt and influence all of the other students and their learning.

15. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I can't speak for the district in question, but in my school, student fights usually result in a term in the district alternative school, and assault on teacher will be an expulsion. In addition, iirc correctly, if a teacher is assaulted the teacher can take up to two years off paid for recovery. Don't quote me on that, but I believe that is the policy, at least at my district.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

..and that is the reason that low-income schools have to pay their teachers so much more than high-income schools.

17. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Totally unnecessary but when they just replayed the hit over and over I burst out laughing. Some world star editing right there.

18. conquistador#11

wouldn't have happened if the teacher was allowed to carry a light saber.
    substitute teachers should get paid x2 what they're paid. it seems students respect them less. back in the day, substitute teachers meant movie day, now they give tests. times done change'

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

That kid just messed up his life this ma end up a being a felony . But it will send a message to others don't disrespect adults.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Kids have too much power in these situations
    Or more accurately . . .they seem to think they do . . .entitled + Lack of Respect for Teachers = disaster

If there was no camera . . .I wonder how this would play out

Seems today . . .the only way to get accurate accounting of a situation
    is with cameras

Count down til we have interactive cameras everywhere like Minority Report starts now . . .

Rocket River