1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Houston Press] Talking Trades with Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fritz145, Feb 8, 2008.

1. fritz145

fritz145 Member

Hello all,

As promised, here's the transcript from my latest interview with Daryl Morey:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/ballz/2008/02/qa_with_daryl_morey_talking_tr.php

Obviously lots to talk about with the approaching trade deadline, two blockbuster deals, and the Rockets strong play in 2008. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for reading, and keep delivering the feedback: good, bad, or indifferent. It helps us give you what you want.

Have a great weekend.

cheers,

JCF

2. robywang

robywang Member

nice interview!
    although a bit disappointed not seeing any hint about any big deal, :D

3. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Wow... fizzle?

4. blender

blender Member

Thanks. Good interview.

Even though he doesn't give any specifics, Morey's answers seem pretty direct and honest. I thought his answer below was especially interesting.

Again, thanks for the interview!

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm glad we have such a congenial GM. Can you imagine Isaiah Thomas or Mitch Kupchak talking about the No Balls Association? I was disappointed that the rest of the interview was fluff, but what can we expect from a competent GM but that he gives nothing away?

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It seems to me he is looking for a trade which can improve the team.If he doesn't find what he wants or what the team needs,there won't be any change.
    Frankly speaking I don't see anything major happening at all. This is the squad we are going to be with throughout the rest of the year.

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

great read! impressive to have interviewed the Gm and posted it within 6 hours of the game being finished..

kudos to you and keep up the selfless work!

8. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Good interview. A little disappointed that you don't throw out any specific names like Mike Miller, Andre Miller, or Mike Bibby.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think it's against NBA rules for Morey to comment on them.

10. Jelle

Jelle Rookie

Nice interview and it seems like they're definetly looking at making a small deal or two. He says they're short so he does recognize we need some upgrades, hopefully he knows at which spot.... ;)

11. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

nice interview. i like Morey a lot.

i agree with him, fer example, when he says "objectively, we’re short" but find some comfort in the fact that he won't do a trade just because.

sometimes the best option is to stand pat. the following quote is a thinking man's perspective;

i like that approach.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I always love reading/hearing Morey's interviews. Definitely glad he's GM.

One thing as a fan that I don't want to admit is that a team could be (A)not good enough for the goal I want the team to reach, which is a title for this year and (B)there's nothing we can do about it.

It's hard to say that "we could come up short, but there's no better alternative". No reason for the Rockets to make a panic trade just because everyone else is trading.

13. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I would love to see Ron Artest in a Rockets uniform....he'd be a perfect fit.

We lack a solid third option.

14. Raven

Raven Member

I still think the Rockets are going to make a major trade before the deadline, but I suspect that's just wishful thinking. It's just difficult for me to see the team going deep without a point guard upgrade.

15. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Morey's gotta be the most honest and shockingly intelligent GM I've ever heard.

16. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I second that.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We do lack a solid 3rd scoring option plus a solid PG,but how can we acquire either one of them?

18. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

so true. we're 90% successful in our last 10 games, with rookies whose upside is uncertain and pedigreed veterans whose value may not be equally compensated ... are we in a position fer a fire sale :confused:? imo, no.

Kenny Rogers;

know when to hold
    know when to fold
    know when to walk away
    know when to run

always difficult to evaluate a GM, yah just don't know whats proffered or declined. Morey has the right approach imo.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

DM votes pretender in this thread:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=142200

20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

i agree, the nuts & bolts of such an acquisition would be interesting. have you realgm'd it?