1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Isaiah Canaan appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 19, 2015.

1. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

It was a stupid move trading him. But mchale was dumb not to play him

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Canaan's first game with 76'ers, 4-9 3ptrs. Canaan FREED! #FreeCanaan

As the Rockets keep missing 3ptrs, we can take solace that those 3's are being made in Philly by IC.

3. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

#ICFTWM

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Shved had a 19.something PER in Philly.

D-rock likes this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

PGs are trading cards to the rockets.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Philly is the new rockets east.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yep.

Mchale is really poor at getting the most out of his players.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Signed

- Josh Smith
    - James Harden

9. The Law

The Law Member

Some of you guys man crush on Canaan is disturbing.

However, it makes me understand the lengthy thread in regards to D12 grabbing IC piece. I believe some of yall are a little jealous it wasn't you on the giving end of that D-grab.

It's all making sense now...

1 person likes this.
  10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No way he was going to get consistent playing time here under the idiot McHale

Do y'all remember that the only reason DMo got playing time was because of injury after injury to our big men? Most knew DMo needed more time to develop except McHale for some reason.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep.

DD

12. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

This made me LOL.

Unfortunately, McHale can sometimes play players that make you scratch your head, and then sometimes bury them on the bench and make you scratch your head. I don't think he can be labelled except to say that once he makes up his mind on something, he is as stubborn as a mule and it takes a miracle to get another shot with him. Ala DMo only getting it through massive injuries.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

McHale can't win with many of you.

If he were playing young players to develop them and we were losing, you'd crush him. When he is somehow managing to steer this team to a top 4 record despite MAJOR injuries, you crush him for not playing the young guys.

I don't love Kevin McHale, but the Rockets are close to hitting the Phil Jackson contending magic number despite serious injuries, yet somehow the coach is an idiot who can't get the most out of his players.

14. FANfrom86toNow

I think most here agree now that McHale isn't a great X and O coach, that's not really debatable anymore. But he does have his strengths and that's not really debatable anymore either.

But other's can also see clearly that Bev and Terry are really sucking it out there for the last month or more, and that when Canaan started before his injury, he did pretty well. Many believed DMo would develop into what he is now once given the chance, and he has proven to do so. Therefore it's logical for them to assume that with other players that they see great potential in.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree. I didn't like the McHale hire, I wanted him fired after the Portland series, I didn't want him to get an extension...

But I'm not going to call him an idiot for not playing Canaan. He's bad at in game strategy. In terms of getting the most out of his players, I just can't agree that he's bad. His players love him. Even Lowry, who hated him, has since said he respects him and wishes he had stayed to learn from him.

You can kill him for not playing Canaan and point to DMO, but for all you know it was McHale not playing DMo and forcing him to work on different things in practice that changed who DMo is. Perfect example here...people on this board have crushed McHale for trying to make DMo a stretch four, but in interviews he's done, McHale has given strong indications that DMo WANTS to be a stretch four and he's been trying to work that out of him.

I will never forget an interview with Charlie on 790 where he mentioned DMo having a good looking 3pt shot and McHale saying something like "Don't let him hear you say that or he won't stop taking them."

16. FANfrom86toNow

True, but it also seems true that he is sort of stubborn once he makes his mind up about a player. But hey, he does spend more time with these players than any of us can, so he should know what they are capable of better than us. It just seems like sometimes he gets tunnel vision and can't see the forest for the trees.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

In a few years' time, watch Morey try to trade for Canaan.

Even if McHale was not playing him, Morey should not have traded him. He would have been a useful 3pt designated hitter in the playoffs.

18. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

It just never seemed Canaan was very good as a catch and shoot 3pt shooter though, something that seems to be more in line with Prigioni's strength.

19. PeppermintCandy

20. rurban

rurban Member

[​IMG]

So I've checked the scores for our former rockets, and almost got a shock.
    1. Covington
    2. Sampson
    3. Canaan

Sampson!?! Had a major flashback.