1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TIVO

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Dec 21, 2001.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Are there any TIVO digital recorders on the market now that are able to record two shows in the same timeslot? If so, can someone supply me with a link.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think Ultimate TV can but it may only work with the Dish Network type of service.

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

The DirecTV TiVOs (WeiRD cApitaLizaTIon! CaTcH tHe fEveR!) have two tuners and allow you to capture two shows at the same time. I got mine back in March, and am still amazed at how cool it actually is.

4. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Since we are on the TIVO topic is the being able to pause live television cool? i just dont see the point in that, why would you pause the televison when something important is going to happen?

5. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Some Reasons:
    -Get the door (it might be Dominos, hehe bad joke)
    -Answer the phone
    -Take a $hit
    -Grab some food
    -Sneeze
    -Do a crossword puzzle
    -Fart
    -Place bets with your friends on whats about to happen

Hey you asked:cool:

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Well, maybe the phone rings and you want to answer it and have a conversation but still would like to come back to the show at some point. You can pause it and then start back up from that spot when you are ready....

Or you have to go to the bathroom or answer the door or yell at your kids or things like that.

It can be handy, I suppose.

One thing I've noticed is that technology like TiVO can often seem like one of those "What would I need that for" kind of things until you have one and get used to using it.

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Most of those why would you do that for? i mean i understand take a $hit and grab food, but the others dont make sense, why would you pause to sneeze? u will miss like .1 of a second and do a crossword? why not do that after you are done watching tv? fart???? you can still see whats going on, place bets with friends? why not just do that before game time???

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Here's the model I want.

Gimme gimme...I need I need....more more....free free.

:D

9. edc

edc Contributing Member

"Pause Live TV" is okay, but the other features are better.

Once you get the hang of it, commercial skip is *great*. It really does give you back a significant percentage of TV time. Yesterday I didn't tune into the Simpsons until after the Lakers game, but it still ended just about 7:30. :)

Beyond "Pause," the "repeat last 8 seconds" (ie: "automatic instant replay") works great for sports, but also to catch "less intelligible" lines of dialogue during entertainment programs.

10. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

LOL I was bored.

but placing bets with friends would be cool. Just imagine...

Someone takes a shot...
    Pause
    5 bucks says its in..
    You're on.
    UnPause
    Damn here ya go.

Shot...
    Pause
    Double or nothing
    Okay
    UnPause
    You get the idea.

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

We love our Tivo, but that Replay model is absolutely awesome; e-mail shows to friends? Cool.

12. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I am still waiting for the stand-alone TIVOs to have dual tuners. I am not interested in DirecTV. Hopefully, TIVO will come to their senses and start producing a dual tuner stand-alone unit.

13. edc

edc Contributing Member

Unfortunately Replay's network abilities aren't quite ready for prime time. Connections (to your friend) are hard to get, and once you've done that it takes forever for the actual transfer to occur. Combine that with the lawsuit(s) hanging over their head, and there is some reason to be concerned.

Standalone dual tuners? Doubtful in the forseeable future. Encoding uses every last bit of the hardware. At the current price levels, it would be difficult to have enough power to encode two streams. If you have digital cable, they could use the DirecTiVO model (two tuners, write the raw digital stream to disk), but so far such a beast doesn't exist.

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Why did they design it to require their network and not just regular e-mail? More revenue?

15. edc

edc Contributing Member

Two reasons:

(1) The files are HUGE.

(2) Assuming you could get around the first problem, allowing people to send high-quality video files anywhere that can receive "regular email" is just begging for a copyright violation lawsuit.