1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DMo Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

This is not a thread to argue whether DMo deserved more minutes earlier or not but rather to show appreciation for his recent contributions.

It's been 13 games since DMo had back to back DNP's. During that period he's averaged 20 minutes per game while scoring 7 ppg and grabbing 5 rebounds. He's also made half his shots including 33% behind the arc and hit 60% of his free throws.

Nothing to write home about but more importantly the Rockets have won 10 of those 13 games and are currently on a 6 game winning streak. Not saying DMo deserves all the credit. DMo still makes boneheaded plays and stupid fouls but in spite of that McHale seems to using him in the rotation as much as anyone. Many times DMo has been the first guy off the bench during that stretch. What a big change considering half of his previous games were DNPs.

DMo is not the missing link but he is improving and is a nice addition off the bench when Terrence sometimes struggles on the defensive side. DMo's hustle and hard play is contagious. If he can just cut down on his stupid fouls and turnovers and continue to hit at least 33% of his threes he becomes an even more positive off the bench.

With the trade deadline approaching many thought DMo might be included in a trade but I wouldn't do it unless it was a definite upgrade. With the return of Asik and the play of DMo and Lin solidifying the 1 and 2 spots we have a solid bench for our run. I would love to add a Battier/Courtney Lee type veteran or even a shooting ace like Korver but that ain't happening this year. So I am happy DMo is stepping up and we are gelin' as a team.

3 people like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Over his last 13 Games

12.1 Pts/36
    9.1 Reb/36
    50% FG
    35% 3Pt (he's starting to look more confidant, if he can start getting that 3 to fall at even a decent clip look out)

His interior play has been really good, although in recent games he has become very bad about letting his man get past him on the perimeter. His lateral quickness is never gonna be good, he needs to back off and use his length.

All in all he's become a solid rotation player, and a huge upgrade over having to play Casspi at the 4. Still wanna see more of the post game dammit, that's where the real money can come from him.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can we redefine this whole appreciation thing.

Separate "appreciation threads" of players gone and trade from those "player recognition threads".

Thanks

4. Old Man Rock

Really that's the only piece of BS you have to add to this thread?

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Another one?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

this is not about this thread. This has been going on for a while. Jinxing player that are still on this team.

Originally it started out being threads for players retired or gone.

It adds a new meaning and it is confusing because Dmo actually is one of the guys that are or were constantly in trade rumors.

Peace out, man. This was not intended to be rude but given Morey's way of trading assets this is just food for thought.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

His natural douche tendencies have helped too. I'm trying to remember the game where he baited a tech on someone, and their team got unsettled and that was basically the game, Portland?

8. Old Man Rock

DMo has been inserted into the rotation on a regular basis. I wanted to point out his stats over that period and his contributions. That's what this thread is about. I get it you got a little confused and thought your beloved DMo may have been traded. Sorry for the confusion. Next time I'll put more thought in the title. How about "If you're scared of Wolves don't play with DMo." ;)

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

locked up brandon knight on the perimeter. Dmo's looking increasingly very solid, as long as he can hold his own defensively, his skill level warrants play, very happy for him after he seemed to be struggling a bit mentally with the DNPs.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is showing good progress, and confidence, i hope he stays.

DD

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Must admit that I am shocked. I had completely written him off. Hell, in a year or two he might be starter material.

Needs to be less frantic but appreciate his energy.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think we already have a Dmo appreciation thread why not just say thank you on that one instead creating another.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

i think dallas when carter elbowed him? almost threw that game away though

14. try

try Member

Link: Donatas Motiejunas Appreciation Thread

Against the Wolves, D-Mo showed a bit of his mean side. I was really surprised when he told Dwight what to do after Howard turned it over on a post up. Also, he yelled at the guards when they didn't give him the ball despite him having good position in the post. I like it!

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

With DMO getting consistent playing time he's become a solid rotational player. Along with my colleague above, I think he could be a dominant low post scorer if we gave him more post-up ops. He presents a big target, but our guys just don't look for him very often.

What's really impressed me has been his hustle and willingness to hit the floor for balls. Not many 7'0" PF/C types do that...GREAT STUFF! That type of play can be infectious and give us the spark we need. Go DMo!

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

D-Mo has always been talented athletically and possesses a near perfect physical makeup. After watching his progress this season it seems to me that he has now abandoned the "hero ball" mentality. D-Mo almost never looks like he is trying to do to much these days. He never seemed to be focused on what he needed to do within the team strategy. He now seems cognizant of where his teammates are on the court and moves to the appropriate spot on the floor. It looks like defensively that he has surpassed Jones because of he is strictly adhering to the team defense model. NBA defenses depend on solid timely rotations and an understanding of what your teammates are doing. It is like a light bulb turned on in his head.

Offensively D-Mo probably defers to much to his teammates. But that just means he is very efficient scoring, and Harden, Howard and Parsons may always be better options.

On the other side though are all the ticky-tacky fouls D-Mo picks up. Hopefully he will correct that tendency.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

What I like about the kid is his all out energy and hustle on every play irrespective of the number of minutes he gets. He always seems to be running up and down the court, diving for lose balls, setting solid screens etc. All the little things that go unnoticed on the box score.

His skills with the ball are immense. I still think we should post him more esp when we run with a DMo-Asik frontcourt.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know we came into the season with two question marks in DMo and Tjones and I think the Rockets have had those questions answered somewhat.

Both of them are developing quite nicely in their own way, and they are a good contrast at PF giving the Rockets different style to choose from.

Nice, is nice !

DD

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I loved that first "post-up" he had last night in Minnesota. Reminded me of:

[​IMG]

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

So true. It seems like the Rockets can depend on one of them doing well each game. Not to mention the fact that the Rockets have a competent PF at only $2M a year. A bargain.