1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember when Peyton Manning coming to the Texans last year was a real possibility...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bmd, Sep 22, 2013.

1. bmd

bmd Member

"Peyton Manning Interested in Playing for the Houston Texans"
    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&id=8542447

"Peyton Manning Definitely Interested in Coming to Texans"
    http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/14/bob-allen-peyton-manning-is-definitely-interested-in-coming-to-texans/

Man, that sounded great. But then, Bob McNair explains why he's not interested in Peyton Manning:

“Number one, we’ve got a quarterback that we think is sound,” McNair said. “We think his foot’s going to be fine. He’s got a great arm and he can take us to a championship."

He was then asked about the possibility of Manning going to the Titans:

"“Well, it really doesn’t matter,” McNair said, smiling. “We beat him when he was healthy, and we’ll do it again."

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/03/13/bob-mcnair-explains-why-texans-not-interested-in-peyton-manning/

With Matt Schaub not doing well this year, how stupid does this make the Texans organization look?

And don't think it is just the organization... I did a little searching here on Clutchfans, and pulled up this gem of a thread:

January 18, 2012 - "Would you go after Peyton Manning?":
    http://rafer.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=214016

Here are some responses:

GlenRice - "3 years ago yes but it's too much of a risk to get rid of a great QB for a guy with an uncertain future. "

tmoney1101 - " Peyton manning can eat a dick."

RedDynasty
    - "That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. Schaub is way younger, and look at Manning's numbers the year before last. I'm sorry, but come on... "

Relentless - "No. Everyone complains out injuries, yet most of you want a guy who has had 3 neck surgeries in 2 years. "

Hey Now! - " The things you guys dream up never ceases to amaze me..."

msn - " Peyton is his own offensive system. Everyone on our offense would have to be retrained to do things that way. Also, dude's neck is about to fall off.

I regard him very highly among the best QB of all time, but he needs to go into coaching now."

Hey Now! - "It never ceases to amaze me how many of us form an opinion and then dig in, come hell or high water. You'd think that after 7 roughly mediocre games with TJ Yates that more or less derailed the greatest season in franchise history that people would have at least begrudgingly come around on Schaub. Nope, back to the same ol' made-up nonsense.

Clutch.... or was it CLUTCH? I get things that don't actually exist mixed up sometimes.... "

plates300 - "No way you go after manning. for what?"

Hammer755 - "Not a chance.

He's old, nobody knows how well he'll recover from the injury, and a large part of his success is based on many years of developing rapport and timing with the same players. I just don't see him being successful elsewhere for a variety of reasons. "

DaDakota - "No way, we don't need a 37 year old Peyton.

He was great in Indy because he knew the system like the back of his hand, he would not be nearly as good in Houston.

Just go with Matt Schaub and TJ and then get Delhomme to give it one more year too.

DD "

weslinder - " Peyton can't hand off to Arian Foster or playfake nearly as well as Matt Schaub can. Just because a quarterback is better overall doesn't mean he's better for your team. Tom Brady wouldn't do nearly as well as Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh."

I have to say... the user Kronos has been DEAD ON. Listen to what he had to say:

"Sure, we will never win anything with Schaub. He's good, but he just doesn't have IT. He plays scared all the time. Choker in the clutch. "

"Manning sits out a year and everyone forgets how great he is. Happens every year in every sport with a player. He will come back and be top 4 QB again for 3-4 more years. "

Anyway... those were just some gems from the first 4 pages of that thread. The thread is 17 pages of comedy.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, make sure you aren't eating crow at the end of the season. People were saying the same things about Flacco and he has as many superbowls as Peyton Manning does.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

no i haven't heard. there could be a thread about this before but i can't remember.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Would rather have Watt.

6. Grinds

Grinds Member

We didn't have the money.

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

this is what i was talking about..

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

so what are the real sources, the friend of a friend of the Mannning family.

and like I posted in other thread, Peyton was after the biggest contract.

why he didnt sign with the 49ers, SF was one of the last 3 teams, that was the best team from the last 3 teams, they were one play away from the superbowl with Alex Smith leading.

9. conquistador#11

if he'd signed with the 49ers, he might actually get past the first game in the playoffs

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

I'm not one to go begging for some props, but come on man....i put enough into that thread to be acknowledged along with Kronos:grin:. Please read pages 5-17 as well. It gets more entertaining.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That was the same offseason that we let Winston, DeMeco, Dreessen, and Brisiel go due to salary cap constraints.

How the hell were we going to afford Peyton when we couldn't even afford our own guys?

/thread

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Peyton Manning doesn't care about salary caps, so the Texans shouldn't either.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

So many people doubted Peyton, though. Didnt think he could take any more hits or played like he use to. Too old, ect. ect.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Can you blame them? What evidence had there ever been that a 36 year old could come back after SPINAL FUSION surgery, and perform at not only a serviceable level, but at a "Best Quarterback in the Entire World" level? Obviously looking back, the fears were out of place, but at the time, Peyton was an ENORMOUS question mark as far as what you were going to get. Remember, the beginning of last year, he looked weak, tentative, and slow. There were questions as to whether he would ever be able to get back to form....luckily for him and Denver, he got stronger as the year went on, and he rounded back into what he used to be. But, it's not fair to criticize people who had their doubts. Empirical data supported their hesitance.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

To be honest, though I probably never posted about it here, I wasn't too hyped up about him coming here either. I still liked Schaub and I was concerned over Manning's very serious injury. Like Fyreball just said, this type of comeback is unprecedented.

Plus, the money thing.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This. Hindsight is 20/20. As great at Peyton is, it was a huge risk at the time for Denver to give a 36 year old coming off of major surgery $96 Million over 5 years (something we never could have matched). Lucky for them it has worked out thus far. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't a big gamble at the time.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I can't decide which is more exciting, these threads, or ramming my head into the wall...

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

No, sorry, this isn't even CLOSE to a case where "hindsight is 20/20". Re-read the damn thread and the others like it or get lost with that cop-out of a comment, and quit your pathetic slapping in the face of everybody with common sense who knew what time it was. This is a case where people just can't admit there were wrong. Swallowing your pride is a tough thing to do, especially when comments as extreme and embarrassing as the ones in those threads.

Can somebody please link me to the other Manning thread where it was, for the most part me vs. Donny Most, Hey Now!, and about 10 lackeys ganging up on me for 20+ pages? I don't have search privileges but would get a kick out of re-reading that one too. A coveted rep is in store for ye who does.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

Oh, and in before "bbbbbbbut Peyton didn't win the super bowl last year!" comments start comin. :rolleyes:

20. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Jesus just told me he wants you to calm down and focus on more important things.

1 person likes this.