1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Secret Weapon to Slowing Down Aldridge and Lilliard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 23, 2014.

1. MystikArkitect

This.

LBJ will put himself on Durant, ditto Durant on LBJ. Harden needs to want to guard their best perimeter defender and Howard their best big. Otherwise we're going nowhere. Hopefully Game 1 and that video that's been floating around can finally light a fire under Harden's ass to become a better defender. We will literally go nowhere without him learning some defense. See Anthony, Carmelo.

2. steady

steady Member

it's not that Dwight can't guard LMA, it is that we would lose Dwight's presence in the post getting blocks and rebounds, if we did that.

I would try DMo ... but it's a very tough call. TJones, DMo and Asik all bring something different.

3. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Mchale didnt realize LmA had 46 points. He thought there were two guys that had 23 each...

4. steady

steady Member

I like McHale, and want to see him succeed. But I had a gaah moment when he said in a post-practice interview this week that of course they would switch up their strategy against LMA given that LMA scored 46 on us. I was thinking ... where was that thinking during the game -- when LMA was racking up points, and it was clear he was in a zone. couldn't we have made adjustments to make him uncomfortable then?

5. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

DMo? sigh.

This is the equivalent of POR fans claiming Barton can stop Harden.

Come on, man.

6. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

LMA scored on Garcia twice. You can watch all 17 of his baskets here: http://on.nba.com/1js8uXn

7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I'd like to see D-Mo get some time guarding LMA as well. I also would like to see the unthinkable - D-Mo's number get called a few times on offense for post-ups on LMA to make him work a little on that end. I probably overrate D-Mo a little, but I'd still like to see it and be proven right or wrong.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Asik and Howard are probably our best option in guarding LMA. But we need someone to protect the rim and the defensive board. So you either play the TT or put DMo in.

9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Dmo won't stop him but will bother him more than Tjones will. He should be an option. I do re-call one game where he was put in to guard a PF (I forget who, may have been LMA, Zack Randolph or Al Jefferson) and he actually slowed them down.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd put Harden on LMA. Harden is long and heavy and plays well against PFs in spot minutes.

11. akxninja

akxninja Member

Wish we had Charles Jones just about now...the way he man-handled Shaq, LMA would be "bbq chicken" to CJ27

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Unleash.... the FLYIN RYAN!

13. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

Where's Camby when you need him….lol

14. sfayner

sfayner Member

If DMo tries to guard LMA, it will be a series of and 1's. Keep his butt glued to the bench where it belongs.

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

I'm worried that Howard will get in foul trouble if he guards Aldridge.

16. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

Isn't funny how we had the most success against Portland when we played small ball? All of the sudden we forgot that as soon as we made that run with our small lineup McHale went away from it and Portland once again made their run to tie up the game witch eventually ended up winning in OT

17. Swag

Swag Member

how bout harden on LA. might sound crazy but hardens probably a better post defender than he is a perimeter defender. plus we dont have delfino to play PF for us anymore so why not give it a shot.

18. Aydge

Aydge Member

Use them all, keep them fresh and have them get physical with him and wear him out.
    Asik, DMo, TJones and Harden should all take turns guarding him. If he starts killing it send a double or fake a double.

Harden is much better guarding the post then chasing players on the perimeter, but he will get worn out if he's asked to do it for too long.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Put DMo on Lopez and Howard on LMA. Have DMo take lopez out to the 3 pt line.

20. Diablo

Diablo Member

Harden's best defensive possession of the entire first game was when he shut down LMA