1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video Breakdown of Coaching Disaster in 4th and OT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SeeingRocketRed, Apr 22, 2014.

1. SeeingRocketRed

See why we lost here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_s1S1CEBTY (Yes, it's 15 minutes, but it will make you a more educated Rockets fan, and no, it's not my video).

So after being present for the debacle that was game 1...initially I was mostly angry at the referees' awful job, which seemed to cost us the game.

I was mildly frustrated with the play calling throughout the game and our defensive breakdowns. But after watching this video (and thinking back through the game), it's apparent that our struggles on both the offensive and defensive ends are largely COACHING related.

I want to like McHale because the players like McHale, but this sort of job in the playoffs is inexcusable. Taking quick shots when you are up 10 points with 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter is just beyond the bounds of error - it's stupid.

We have maybe the best roster in the league, and we're losing to an inferior opponent. Look at the success that players who have left our roster are having - Morey is doing his job; McHale is not.

This video analyzed nearly every play down the stretch, and was really useful to me.

Ending quote:
    "It's subtle, it's not always apparent if a play was good or not....championship teams learn this stuff and play it correctly 95% of the time....in this game I don't even think it was 60% of the time. Stotts clearly outcoached McHale, and if they don't turn it around, the Rockets will lose this series."

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

3. SeeingRocketRed

Sorry about lateness. was so pissed I couldn't get on here for a while after...

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

For my own sake I'm not watching this video.

5. calcium

calcium Member

I watched it.

It's quite interesting.

Basically, he's saying we should have run the clock down instead of
    shooting when there are like 20 seconds left on the clock.

This happened 3-4 times in the last 4 minutes?
    Or something like that.

Also, the same ref's name comes up whenever a bad reffing decision is made.

6. makio9

makio9 Member

This is just that guy that spams this forum because he's trying to make money from his website.

Meh...not really caring about his opinion. If he wants a successful website he should try news unless he is a basketball player.

Coaches and players have to make decisions every game. If you lose it is generally from decisions and things that should have been done differently. That's what a loss is half the time.

7. makio9

makio9 Member

"When you're up by 3 with 4 minutes to go you want less possessions"

That just isn't true at all. Nearly everybody wise coach and player will tell you to keep attacking. Don't back off and become complacent thinking about the clock. This is no time to start chewing time just for the sake of it.

8. makio9

makio9 Member

As i always say, it is easy to nitpick when things don't turn out. However, when you have a winning record how can you argue things aren't turning out. Wait until the series is over before we start bashing the coach.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's generally true and that's always been how we play so I don't have a particular issue with that. And since McHale went for offense more than defense, you have to go for the best shot, even if it's early in the clock. My problem is he opt for offense over defense when we needed defense a bit more.

Still, when he did that, I wish players and coaches are a bit more aware of the situation... sure, you don't want to run down the clock all the way and have a bad possession, but at least move it around and run down the clock a bit toward the 2min mark so we can have more possessions on both end with Howard.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Where is JTR when you need him?

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Lack of defense and coaching lost game 1.