1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Sports Radio Host in the U.S?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by UtilityPlayer, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yes, it's all about Sports MT!! Major Market Radio Host, from 11-2. :cool: Come on down for your free CRUSH CITY Tee shirts at Pluckers on Thursday!

Sports RV, get off my CF account!!

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Agreed. I don't think any national sports talk is worth listening to. I don't care for the personalities and the topics are too ESPN-themed.

Seth and Mike do an excellent job on 610 covering a little of each sport. Matt Thomas and Charlie are also great for Rockets/Astros talk.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I literally don't like anyone in Houston radio except Mike Meltzer. His partner Seth Payne is annoying because he's constantly interrupting. Meltzer should have his own show. Everyone else bugs me on some level and others like LZ and Lopez I can't stand at all.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Dan Patrick is the top national host, IMO.

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Generally, I'm with those of you who say that national sports radio is hot garbage. It's almost always very surface-level discussions, with the hosts either re-hashing discussions you've heard dozens of times already or hot takes.

With that being said, Dan LeBatard has grown on me. And on top of his radio show, Highly Questionable might be the best original show ESPN has going right now. He and Bomani Jones have great chemistry, and giving Dan someone else to talk to on the show has fixed the original issue I had with the show, which is that there was too much of his dad.

Locally, it's Matt Thomas for me, and mostly because his show has a good mix of Astros, Rockets, and Texans, whereas most other shows in the city lean heavily on just one of the local teams (usually the Texans).

6. jae713

jae713 Member

Charlie Palillo is by far my favorite local guy. 790 morning show is good compared to 610's garbage except when they try and do those freaking impressions.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I haven't listened to Jim Rome in over a decade. I think Dan Patricik might be the best, even though I don't listen to him enough. ESPN radio isn't bad. I like the Freddie Coleman and I like Coach and Bretos on the weekends.

Local radio, I still listen to 790 and their morning show. 610 in the morning is garbage. I like their afternoon show. Still a Charlie guy though. Not sure what's on 1560. I like 97.5 sometimes. I enjoy Matt Thomas midday.

Lance is on vacation this week, so he's bringing in a bunch of guest. I'm cool with some like some of the chron writers, Raheel is great, but Adam decides to bring Theresa from the buzz to talk all things Kansas City sports. I remember when she moved into the market, she was all about the Chiefs and how awesome they were. Then they sucked and put on w Texans shirt. Then kc got all decent and she went front running with them again.

Anyway, she's hosting Friday. If you follow them on Twitter, it seems like they're ****ing. I think he wants a three some with her, and clutch fans favorite, Anna Megan.

But the general already hit that.

8. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I like Charlie Pallillo, but I can only listen to him in small doses. He always comes off as attempting to sound so intellectual. I get a headache if I listen to him too long.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Been thinking the same thing, def something going on between Clanton and Theresa.

Pallillo has the best and most objective takes of any host I know, but I agree. He's good to listen to on a really fresh or highly debated topic, but on an average day he can be dull and repetitive.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its refreshing to have a non-homer give daily takes on the state of the local team.

Adam is a severe houston homer, MT is a severe Rockets/Astros homer (more objective on the Texans due to his recent Minnesota gig where he covered the Vikings well), Lance is just a football homer and pretty useless in other sports, and I could do without the squawking from the producer-wanna-be radio hosts (also all homers) who either need their own show or need to minimize the disruptions.

Pallilo also has them all beat, hands-down, in on-air interview skills... its just too bad that Luhnow prefers talking with MT and Morey prefers to talk with the morning crew. Pallilo does get McHale, which is always a pretty good listen.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Meltzer has grown on me. I'd rank him #1 locally. Seth Payne really pulls him down and his interruptions while Meltzer is talking are incredibly annoying. During football season, Payne adds enough legit insight to be a net positive.

Can't think of a national guy that I like. Colin Cowpatch is entertaining sometimes but he drives me up the wall just as often. It gets very tiresome.

12. conquistador#11

no way is meltzer better than seth. he is like a robot. here we have a guy that doesn't understand why the packers lost to seattle, that like in life ish happens. and that's why we enjoy sports, the best team doesn't always win. I do enjoy their show.

Matt thomas- gets on my nerves when he does the astros post game. Almost as if he is too good to be there, ends up doing a 30 minute show. Astros are winning! be a man and run a 1 hour post game show like every team in the nation. I love his daytime show though and how he involves his producer.

Charlie, the older model A.I. I only started appreciating him when I hit 29 years old. always try to catch some charlie.

Lance is great, but I can't stand the show with the immature sidekick who bases his thoughts around the emotions of his twitter followers, like a lesser matt jackson.

Adam wexler should definitely have his own show, instead we have chumps like chupacraba and nick johnson taking up air time. at least there is no more josh innes.

nationally, I haven't heard Rome since 2007. Rome and the stinkin genius for throwbacks.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Seth is super smart. He is way smarter than pretty much anyone on Houston radio including CP. I think that is why he does all those interruptions. They are sometimes annoying.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Pallilo is the only sports radio guy I listen to, and only once or twice a week for my commute home.

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Can't believe no one else mentioned him. I definitely think it's Dan Patrick too.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Completely agree with everything you wrote. That's exactly how I felt about Le Batard, how I felt about the show pre-Bomani and how I feel about the show now Bomani is in the mix with Dan and PLeBatard.
    I find myself watching HQ way more than ATH and PTI (which I've watched all the time ever since they both came on air but now barely watch).

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Favorite national host is Ben Maller on Fox Sports. To me, based on the hour the show plays, just the right amount of sports and humor mix.

In the past I liked Ferrell. When I first heard him his show was so different it became addicting... like listening to Howard. But like anything, he schtick got old when he took himself too seriously. He is someone best taken in small doses.

Locally, Charlie, without a doubt. I must be one of the few who actually likes Nick and Lopez. Nick does a good job directing the show.I hate the show that follows so much I switch over to 790 the rest of the day. Starting to appreciate Matt Thomas, but for the most part just setting it there as I wait for CP's show.

18. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I have been listening to Rich Eisen a lot lately, the dude does a really great show. He comes on after Dan Patrick here in SA, I'm not sure if he's on anywhere in Houston but definitely worth a listen if he is.

Locally, Matt Thomas for the win, I listen to him on iHeart radio just about every day.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member