1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN's super slow-mo replay camera. Good or Bad

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JBIIRockets, Oct 30, 2002.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I was watching the Lakers and Blazers on ESPN, and I noticed that when Bryant stole the ball in the 3rd (in live action) and as he went in for an uncontested layup, the camera started going in slow motion even though the play was live.

I don't like it because the other team could do a quick inbounds pass down the down and the TV viewer would miss it.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

so that was intentional??? i thought i was seeing things or that i just missed the fact that it was a replay. that was weird having never seen it before. it actually looked kinda cool buy yeah like you said you could miss a quick inbounds.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I thought at first it was a slow motion of a previous play earlier in the game,I have near seen anything like it before either.They showed it when Woods scored his first basket in the 4th quarter.I would rather prefer to see a basket being scored in fast motion first and then to see a slow motion replay later.

4. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

It's annoying when it's done so often.
    Just save it for important or spectacular plays......someone hitting a last second shot or someone getting dunked on.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was odd, but I kind of liked it. The one layup Horry put up when he was fouled was really cool to see in slow motion right away. Granted, had he missed the crazy no look layup, it wouldn't have seemed so cool, so I don't know how they can guess which plays to put in slow motion...but it seemed to work well tonight.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

so is there a little delay in tv (like on radio) so they can see the play like 3 seconds before it's broadcast and then decide whether to do the slow-mo thing or not. i can't imagine they just do the slow-mo thing and hope it works out, there has to be a method to the madness. but still, i would rather see nasty dunks and stuff like that in fast motion first. seeing it in slow-mo could look cool i guess but you want that initial reaction factor and fast motion is the only thing that gives you that. actually i'd like to see the slow-mo on random/meaningless plays every once in a while just cuz it looks kinda cool but i don't want it messing up great plays. and now i'm rambling.

7. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

It's a little annoying if they overdo, but I like it. It's something new and different but Im sure it'll grow old fast.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think it's a 7 second delay for TV

I'd rather see the spectacular play at normal speed to get the full amazement, then see the slo-mo to try and figure out what just happened.

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

How about the floor cam?

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Yea what did yall think of the floor cam ? I saw them installing it and it looked like you might get some cool footage...also might get something.. err.. unintentional :(

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think they should speed it up and play it at double-time. You'd get the feeling that the players are really working hard. Plus, we'll be done in only an hour.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I liked the camera but what I didnt like was that the announcers of the game would say if the basket went in or not before you actually saw it. If they are going to slow-mo something they need to be consistent with the play calling and not say if he made the shot before the audience can see it. The floor cam is a decent idea. And was it just me or did ESPN's overall camera make it look like the camera work in NBA2k3? The weird overhead, iso and wire angles they used made me realize that this looks like it was a video game.

What was up with that Damon interview at halftime of game 2? They had the camera below his face you can tell he looked awkward having to look down at the camera and answering questions. I didnt like the camera work for that it was just bad.