1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[uverse] Any hacks for the box?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Apr 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I read the blurb below, but it's from 2006. Googling didn't turn up too much.
    So anyone tried this or figured out any nifty hacks? I'd love to figure out a way to hook up an external HDD to the USB port on my UVerse box.

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Dud of a thread, I guess. I'm kind of surprised that no one has figured out how to do anything cool with it.

Oh well, moving on....

3. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ydr8a3UHUy4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

U-Verse is perfect as it is.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've often wondered about that USB port on the front of the UVerse boxes. I figured that was for diagnostics or something, but it would be awesome to be able to hook up a flash drive and increase the amount of shows you can save. Although I have only filled up my box a couple times in the several years I have been with them.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hacks for pay-tv service boxes are sadly lacking for all providers.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Is it possible to remove recorded shows from the UVerse box and play on your computer yet?

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't understand how you would access the DVR through the guide or menus to record or play them back on another receiver. Nonetheless, compare the back of the main DVR to the other receivers, and you'll see that they're not the same models (at least for my setup, they're not). I was one of the first few "test" setups... so my equipment might be older... I have to check when I get home.
    They use an encoded MPEG wrapper to display the titles, times, etc., for each recording. If the wrapper is removed, the files won't play. They're MPEG and have DRM codes. You can take the hard drive, but that means you're OUT of a receiver... :(

I would not want to void my warranty because I like the service very much not to mess it up. You can always record to DVD the shows that the TV station broadcasting it allows. :eek:

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I thought all the shows were recorded on the Gateway, not the set-top boxes?

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Definitely not. One of my receivers (the one with the DVR) started screwing up last week. They had to come out to replace it and I lost all of my recordings.

As for the OP, the receiver I have with the DVR is bigger than the one that doesn't have it. I've just assumed it's because one has a hard drive and the other one doesn't.

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

That's strange. The two set-top boxes I have are identical, and I can watch the same recorded shows on either of them.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Mine look very similar (I thought they were identical at first) but the one with the DVR is about 12" x 11" and the one without is 10" x 8 1/2".

I can watch recorded shows on either as well but can only pause/FF/RW live TV on the one with the DVR.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Look at the connections on the back. I am afraid the DVR one doesn't have the same connections the others do. Again, I'll check it when home. :eek: