1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Internet Provider] Xfinity vs. UVerse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vstexas09, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Someone else has mentioned it, and I'll say it again. Get your folks an Ooma. You can get one at Fry's for $125 if you don't want to wait and it's literally just about $4 a month after that. Yes, you can port your number over

I have it for my folks, and I have it attached to an APC UPS 750 power back-up, as well as the modem and router so if the power goes out, they can still make a call.

You can get 50mbps for $29.99 right now via Comcast. The website will say 25mbps, but in Houston it is 50mbps because of the recent upgrades.

$29.99 + $4 a month for both of the services you need. Minus the one time cost of the Ooma, and installation. If you're eligible, do the self install for $9.99 instead of the professional install for $39.99.

If you're not tech savvy, just spend the $40 bucks as the techs will also make sure you have adequate signal levels. Do this even if you're tech savvy if you live in a home with old wiring, or have NEVER had Comcast/TWC before in the home.

Plus, if you're with Comcast you can buy your own modem and router and avoid the modem lease fee you're paying right now with AT&T. That will save you another $7 a month.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have uverse DSL. I'm not complaining... But even I'd tell you to go comcast. DSL is typically just not as good. I'm just keeping it because the rep have me a cheap deal and I don't do much downloading and if I'm going to pay $60 or $90 or whatever a month in the future I want to do that with giga-speed. Not sure when that'll get to my neighborhood in Austin but was willing to wait out DSL another 12 months....

3. Poloshirtbandit

Anyone know what channels the Starter XF Double Play w/ Blast and plain Starter has? I click the Channel Lineup link on Comcast site but nothing comes up. Basically just wanna know if it has Bravo and CSN or whatever channel Rockets and Astros end up on.

Both plans are the same price and both say 140 channels, but one advertises 50 Mbps the other 105 Mbps.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Uverse interface sucks.

So laggy.

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

They both suck, but if I'm going to have to deal with ****ty customer service and high prices, my Internet better at least be fast as hell. So, in that regard, I go with Comcast...