1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Rockets.com] - Chandler Parsons reminding us of Shane Battier...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by azoghbi, Feb 21, 2012.

1. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Nice piece from Jason at Rockets.com. Parsons is continuing to show why he is the steal of the draft, and it's good to see that his approach to the game mirrors Battier's. If he can develop his offensive game further (which is a reasonable expectation), I really think he might be the answer for us at the three given just how good he is defensively...

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/recap_rockets_vs_grizzlies__2012_02_20.html

1 person likes this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He was crucial to our success yesterday... the defense on Rudy Gay was good just like the defense Tony Allen put on Kevin Martin.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hmmmmmm.

I was wondering last night if Parson's value had increased to the point that the Lakers would do a Dragic, Parsons, Scola, Dally deal for Gasol.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm not sure that'd be worth it for us if they did. I think it would hurt our chances of winning it all this year, because we don't really have anyone else on the roster who can give us what Dragic, Parsons, and Dalembert bring night in and night out. Gasol is a big upgrade over Scola, but is he big enough to lose two starters and one of your most important bench players?

5. jopatmc

Oh, it would hurt our chances of winning it all this year. We'd go from a 0.01% chance of winning it all to a 0.005% chance of winning it all.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Why get Gasol if you don't want to win this year and next year? Who even knows how good he'll be the last two years of his contract (age 33 and 34 seasons).

7. jopatmc

1. He is a premier player that will attract other premier players.

2. He immediately makes this team better with his ability in the high post.

3. He is a more attractive trade piece for Orlando if they decide to move Dwight. We can then pitch him, Martin, Lowry, expirings for Dwight and trash. Orlando couldn't do better than that in a deal.

8. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Would want more than Gasol for that honestly. Dragic is one of the best back up pgs in the league. Parsons has a pretty high ceiling, and we would lose a lot of our defensive identity that we are working towards. Gasol is NOT known for his defense. Combine that with the fact that we would be completely lost at the three for the time being, I wouldn't understand the long term goal of that move. I know you are not a fan of Dally and you are being more than vindicated by his recent string of erratic play. That being said, he can help us win games with the good stretches of defense that he plays and he certainly has had a positive impact on games, at times even being one of the main reasons we win. When he plays like s***, which has been happening a lot, McHale has the presence of mind to sit him and keep him relegated to the bench where he should be. That being said, losing him would not be the biggest of my concerns. It would be the loss of depth, defense, and a quality backup pg and solid 3 man.

Going for Gasol seems like a "win now" move, and I honestly think that we essentially have no chance at beating the Heat with Gasol as our "star" player. Gasol needs some depth around him to be successful at a championship level (i.e. a super talent like kobe + quality depth), and we would be losing a good deal of our depth with that move.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm not convinced other stars are saying "I want to play with Pau Gasol!" I view a move for Gasol as something where we want to build our team around him and Lowry for this year and next year and if we're really lucky one more year after that. I think a Lowry + Gasol combo could make some serious noise in the playoffs, if they were surrounded by a deep, balanced team. (The last part is key though.)

Not if you sacrifice most of your starting lineup to get him! If you just swap him in for Scola without losing any other core rotation pieces, obviously that makes the team better. I don't think it's so clear if you're giving up too many good players.

Why would Dwight sign an extension to play with a Rockets team which doesn't have any other all-star level players? I wouldn't give up all that just to rent him for a half a season and make a first-round exit in the playoffs.

10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I normally like your posts, but please get off this Gasol nonsense. He won't help us in any way. We're better standing pat and making a move next year or even falling back on amnesty if the case merits.

Back to Parsons: yeah, he is like Battier...can't shoot.

I kid.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Don't get me wrong I would like to add Gasol but it has to be for the right price. That suggested trade is too much to give up.

12. jopatmc

The reason why the T-Wolves are trying to acquire Pau is because Rubio wants to play with him. That should tell you something about Pau and his game. He's got plenty of game left. He'll be playing very effectively 5 years from now.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where would he play then? I like what Pekovic brings to the table. He is the Serbian Bulldozer or Bulldog. He brings grit and toughness.

14. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Even though this thread got derailed by Gasol talk (yet again), I have to say that I am more and more happy with Chandler as the iris of my eye focuses on him game after game.

1. The kid plays smart basketball. He made 4 hard cuts last night with the shot clock winding down that resulted in 2 lay ups for him, one for a teammate (off a pass), and one for CLee for a corner 3.

2. You will never see him standing on top of someone else. His floor spacing is always superb and it will only get better when he gets more confident in his shot. And let's be honest, his shot doesn't look bad or have anywhere to go but up.

3. Last night he was helping to direct the offense by sending guys through when we had a bit of a small line up in the game. At one point, I believe CLee thought he was playing the 2 in our corner series and he sent him through to the opposite wing. Presence of mind is impressive out of a young guy like that...

4. His defense, as we all know, is very good.

Don't get me wrong, I do not believe Chandler will end his career as an all-star, but to dump him for an aged veteran at this point makes very little sense to me and hopefully to DM as well.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

LOL @ trading Parsons/Dragic/Scola/Bert decreasing our chances of winning it all this year, as if we had any.

It's interesting that Parsons has already gotten to the point that we hesitate to include him in a trade for a player as good as Gasol. Wing stoppers with decent offensive game are hard to find.

16. tofu--

tofu-- Member

It's weird how much people seem to overvalue Gasol.

17. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

So 2 guys who have played together on the national team for ages want to play with each other in the NBA, and that is an indicator that Pau has 5+ years left of 17 and 8 (or so) basketball? Ummm, I don't think that you'd be saying the same thing just predicated upon Manu saying he'd want to play with Luis. Then again, you just may... and I'm not entirely sure why.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If only we still had him, then maybe he could mold chanandler into his image. I'm still stunned Shane turned heel. I can't believe it.

19. jopatmc

I did not say Rubio wanting to play with Pau means he has 5+ years left. I said Rubio wanting to play with Pau is evidence that he currently still has major game...right now. Wherever he is traded to, expect an uptick in points, assists, rebounds, and overall effectiveness on both ends of the court. Pau's game is supressed playing with Kobe. As most everyone's game is supressed when playing with Kobe.

My comment that he has 5+ effective years left is based on his age, his size, his skillset, and the way he plays the game. He is in his early 30's . He's a 7-footer. He is very skilled. And he doesn't play a highwire act game. He plays a cerebral game based on moving, passing the ball, etc. Pau plays a very cerebral game. He's got 5+ very effective years left. Hope this clears up my statements.

20. jopatmc

Not worth answering.