1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quessenberry diagnosed with lymphoma

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Xercules, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Xercules

Xercules Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Texans OT David Quessenberry will be placed on the NFL’s Non-Football Illness List after being diagnosed with lymphoma.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/476382611606994944">June 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sorry for him.

Probably a dumb question but, does this mean he'll never play?

3. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Thats a shame. I lost my dad to lymphoma when I was 17. Best of luck to him.

Sajan and Rashmon like this.
  4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Lymphoma is what killed the first Spartacus actor. Great show lasted three seasons.... hope it is not fatal.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously it depends on a lot of factors but if they caught it early and he doesn't have an aggressive kind, it is very treatable.

6. Fantasma Negro

Wow such a shame, he has so much talent and bust his ass working hard. I hope he survives this and gets to go back to doing what he loves. Get well David #*****Cancer

7. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Hope he is able to beat it. That is so crazy

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Prayers.

Hope he comes back soon

9. Raven

Raven Member

#### cancer!

10. mario_v

mario_v Member

This may sound dumb but does this mean he's out for the season.

11. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

HOUSTON -- Texans offensive tackle David Quessenberry has been diagnosed with lymphoma and was placed on the team's non-football injury list Tuesday.

[+] EnlargeDavid Quessenberry
    AP Photo/Pat Sullivan
    David Quessenberry, 23, has been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin T Lymphoblastic Lymphoma, a relatively rare form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
    "The goal of David's treatment is to cure the disease, so he can return to the life that he has worked so hard to earn," a statement from Quessenberry's agents at Rep1 Sports read. "David is extremely positive and determined to win this fight against cancer."

Quessenberry experienced shortness of breath during a practice on June 3, according to his agents' statement. That and a persistent cough led him to believe he had a chest cold.

Quessenberry was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin T Lymphoblastic Lymphoma and began treatment later that day. The 23-year-old Quessenberry also took to Twitter on June 3:

On Tuesday, Quessenberry told CSN Houston: "I'm gonna kick the crap outta this thing and come back even stronger! I will win this fight."

He is being treated at MD Anderson hospital in Houston. T-cell lymphomas are fairly rare and account for about 15 percent of all non-Hodgkin lymphoma diagnoses.

"Our medical community here in Houston is the best in the world," Texans general manager Rick Smith said. "We are extremely confident in the care and treatment David will receive. He is a fighter and a courageous young man, and we look forward to his full and complete recovery. We will continue to support him and his family and look forward to his return to the team."

Quessenberry was a sixth-round draft pick in 2013 out of San Jose State. After a promising offseason, he suffered a severe enough broken foot that it landed him on injured reserve for his rookie season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...iagnosed-non-hodgkin-t-lymphoblastic-lymphoma

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he couldn't be in a better place to fight it, of course this pretty much means his career is over, but hopefully not his life.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

One hell of a bummer on many different levels.

He's going to be one hell of a comeback story though.

The Texans will take care of him throughout his fight, I have no doubt.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. Granville

Granville Member

Wow, what a sad development. Prayers and best wishes go out to Quessenberry and his family.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Wow...wishing Quess and his family the best. And really hope that his treatment is effective against this rare T Cell NH Lymphoma.

To answer the questions of a few on this board, I would expect not to see him on the field in football shape this season. He will most likely have to be treated with Chemotherapy. These drugs are often very toxic and the body will take time to recover from using such drug combinations. Regardless, I really hope for the best.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Season over, definitely. Life over, hopefully not for many many many years. Career over, way too early to make that call.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he beats it and gets back to playing, especially if he comes back and becomes a good player, they need to make a 30 for 30 about him.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Hopefully they are catching it early enough so he can fight through this. But I'm definitely not expecting him to play this season and his career may be in jeopardy. Good thing he is with an organization that will take care of him.

This could be a blow to the offensive line as well if the Texans were depending on him to be on the field.

19. chrispaul3

chrispaul3 Member

Good thing he is in Houston, MD Anderson Cancer Center is probably the one of the best, if not the best in the world

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

damn this is some real ****! I hope Q can come out on top and I hope the team can be that support system that he needs.