1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arctic Monkeys Sell Thousands on First Day

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oomp, Jan 25, 2006.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060125/D8FBOKAOD.html

Arctic Monkeys Sell Thousands on First Day

Jan 25, 9:24 AM (ET)

LONDON (AP) - The Arctic Monkeys sold almost 120,000 copies of their debut album in a single day, and it may become one of the year's top-sellers, retailers said.

The British band shot from obscurity to fame in a matter of months, thanks partly to savvy use of the Internet to market their music to fans.

A stream of adulatory media articles followed, and the group's debut singles, "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" and "When the Sun Goes Down," both topped the British singles chart.

The band's album, "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not," sold 118,501 copies within 24 hours of its release Monday, more than the rest of the top 20 album chart combined. If sales hold up, it will become Britain's fastest-selling debut, surpassing the 306,631 copies sold by Hear'Say's "Popstars" in 2001.

Phil Penman, head of music for retailer HMV, said Tuesday the Monkeys were "well on their way to having the first million-selling album of 2006."

Formed in 2003, the quartet from Sheffield in northern England signed last year to Domino, the independent record label that is home to Scots rockers Franz Ferdinand.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

2. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

My bf wants this! Coming to the States on 2/21. Listen to xfm radio and they are playing it all the time.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i've been listening to them for a while now, very catchy stuff. everything i've heard has a charming do-it-yourself demo feel. hope they don't get over-produced on the album.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

From the Flava Flav files: Don't believe the hype.