1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about the Gasol trade being officially dead?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Dec 11, 2011.

?

Are you happy or sad that this deal fell through?

1. Happy

78 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. Sad

109 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Meh

72 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

The Lakers instead send Lamar Kardashian to Dallas for trade exemption.

I am glad that we didn't give up the whole team plus a pick for Pau Gasol, what about you guys out there in CF Land?

Btw: I am happy that we are pursuing a quality big man, but let's not just take the first 7' guy out there, especially a soft, ageing Spanish guy if it will cost us 4 very good players & a pick.

1 person likes this.
  2. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Agreed. I'm really glad the trade didn't go through. It just didn't make sense. I would much rather trade for picks and rebuild the team with this 2012 draft coming up. Keep Kyle Lowry, Patrick Patterson and Courtney Lee for sure. Trade Luis Scola and Kevin Martin for 3 top ten picks and i would be happy. With that roster, we will be lottery. We would have 4 of the 10 picks for 2012 and the rebuilding will begin. I guarantee we will catch a superstar and lots of solid rookies with that.

3. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I voted happy, but the correct word to describe how i feel is relief.

I was all for the initial deal, but as time progressed, it got worse and worse. Although I'm a believer that Morey won't likely pull the trigger on a heavily unfair deal, there was always a small chance that for a brief moment of insanity, he could take the bait. As a fan it was extremely nerve-wrecking.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

We have an 8000+ post thread on the topic. Why don't you check there?

Indeed. Let's wait and trade for a true quality big man. Who do you have in mind who's better than Gasol and has more than 0% chance of coming to Houston?

1 person likes this.
  5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Rep'd for 'lop skidded'

6. matty101

matty101 Member

I voted Meh. Not a Gasol fan and would have been sad to see a few core guys leave, but the success/failure of the trade would have completely depended on Morey's next move. Obviously wont be able to see that now though. If, as reports suggested, Nene signs with after we get Pau, then i like the trade. Put Lowry and Lee and a combination of Bud/Williams/Morris at the 3 and I think that lineup would scare a lot of teams.

All in all, Meh - would have to see Morey's next move to determine.

7. IzakDavid13

Damn you apple auto-correct!!!!

Lol!

Thanks for the Rep

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Le$ say no to tank.

Morey say "Ok, I make you top 3 seed with Twin Towers and only lose The Ice Cream Man and Lee's father".

Plans no go through, back to limbo and 14th pick just like Milwaukee Bucks.

9. IzakDavid13

I would happily take Pau, but not for that asking price.

DeAndre, whilst not 'better' would fit our run & gun style, Dwight Howard has a 1% chance of coming to H-Town, which is better than 0%...
    I also like Cousins, McGee, Marc & Tyson ( but he is gone )

Who knows, Thabeet could become a decent player......echo, echo, echo.:)

10. acjeitherocket

i still dont understand why we were giving up so much for just Gasol...

11. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

I'm in the middle. I'd be OK with either way.

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Extremely happy, we have Scola who wants to be here. We want players who are committed by signing here, or feels happy to be here. I saw none of that from Gasol, or Nene. They didn't mention Houston as a place that like to continue. A lot of teams are are going to be in decline like playoff teams last year of Nuggets (with half of the team in China), Blazers (with PG retiring) and New Orleans (Paul distraction). Dec 26!!!!!!!!!

13. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

One of the misconceptions about this trade is that Pau is aging.

HE IS NOT YET THAT OLD. In fact, SCOLA IS OLDER. Pau is just entering his prime and has played his best season last year (despite a bad playoff run)

I dont understand how you guys are so content with what we have right now. I love Martin and Scola but you just have to realize that they werent gonna take us anywhere. Like that other poster said, we'd be like the Bucks. ****.

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I was skeptical about the trade from the beginning but totally against the trade the moment they added a pick. Then it just kept getting worse. So overall, I'm glad.

That said there is the fallout from this debacle. While I think Scola continues playing, Martin is damaged by this and Goran was pissed when the Suns traded him a few months ago. I can't imagine he's going to be good as gold right now. Though it is a contract year for him. He might play to showcase himself. So in the end all 3 still need to be traded. Martin because this is just going to become the 800lb gorilla in the room as time goes on. The problem now is that teams know we need to move him so we won't be getting full price. Goran because even if he plays well, I don't see him resigning with us. And Scola, while I love his play and attitude, he is on the wrong side of 30 for a rebuilding team. But I won't be too upset if Scola stays.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

We're not content with what we have at all but adding Pau wasn't going to give us what we want. And to make matters worse, we were creating a super team for the Lakers. Just add Howard and sit back for 10 more glorious (sickening) purple and gold years.

Think of it this way. Our car is a daily driver but won't win any races. We need everything but 1 thing we badly need is a new engine (true superstar) and people don't trade engines unless something is wrong with it or it has 200k miles on it. You have to get those from the factory (draft). We were paying all our saved money on some new rims and tires (Pau). Sure it looks nicer (more sales for Les) and might even help you go a little faster (a few more wins), but the real question is will it help you win the race (title)? Throwing new tires on a daily driver is not what we need. 2012 is the year for engines and we desperately need a good one which means that we have to buckle down through the pain and hopefully we'll have enough saved up (losses) to get a shiny new engine. We can add tires later.

16. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SzlpTRNIAvc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wow, you people at dreamshake aren't exactly very knowledgeable about basketball.

1. Rick Adelman and his run and gun style is now in Minnesota.
    2. Jordan and Marc Gasol are restricted free agents. You can google the term if you don't understand what a restricted free agent is, and then understand why I say it.
    3. Why don't you go to the Kings board to ask if they'll trade us Cousins?
    4. You think Gasol is not the answer but McGee is?
    5. You talk about a made up 1% chance of landing Dwight Howard like it's not the saddest thing in the world as a Rockets fan?
    6. I refuse to comment about Thabeet for it will lower my IQ.

1 person likes this.
  18. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

We didn't just lose out on Pau + Nene (or whoever else), but also
    Chuck Hayes, our best defensive player.

To rephrase, we're stuck with the same ASSETS minus our best defensive player.

What's there to be happy about?

19. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

We were not just getting Pau. We were getting Nene too. theres a reason why he hasnt signed his NJ deal and its been widely reported that he's been waiting for the Pau trade. Pau + Nene is arguably one of the bets frontcourt tandems in the league and that'll get us somewhere.

Dwight to LA isnt even set in stone yet because overall, its up to Orlando who to trade him to and he's expressed interest in NJ. However, assuming LA gets Dwight, so what? Heat got owned by the Mavs. So its not like its impossible to beat a super team. At least if we get Pau, we have a chance to be the one that beats that super team.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It sucks. If I didn't think there was a free agent signing based on the freed up cap space, I wouldn't be as upset. With a short training camp as it is, this sucks.