1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dish Network announces Sling TV, an online cable alternative that will feature ESPN, ESPN2, Disney C

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scionxa, Jan 5, 2015.

1. body slam

body slam Member

kind of sucks for $15 I'd expect more than just one HBO channel.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

How is that dumb? If you have cable or satellite tv you have to buy/rent receivers for different TVs. You don't play one fee and get unlimited receivers.

Sling probably will open up something where you can pay more and stream on two devices at once. Problem with the streaming model is so many people share accounts. Netflix ended up just accepting that fact and introduced profiles and a system where you can pay for how many concurrent logins you have. Otherwise you will have a lot of people just sharing accounts and Sling will end up going under.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They need to fix that and get their hbo on demand to be be updated.

I wish we can go to hbo go with a sling account

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How are peoples opinion on quality? I am not too impressed with the PQ.

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

I say the quality is passable. On my PC it looks to be 720ish. I have more problems with the audio than anything. Don't know if its my setup or not but when I watch the NBA playoffs I'll get commentary only from one speaker and then background noise in the other and then sometimes its even.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good on phone and tablet, ok on large thx certified plasma

7. Space Ghost

The good news is if you're watching the Rockets game, you're better off with no audio than listen to the commentary.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I tried the 7 day thing and i can say I'm very disappointed in the service. I have a very reliable connection. 30mbps and it still buffers. Forget about the playoff games, those really look awful if it even maintains connection.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I've been able to stream all playoff games so far. Are you hard-wired or using wifi?

Quality can be kinda meh. On par with about ATT Uverse which is not that great but passable at HD.

ESPN streams at the highest bitrate.

10. Space Ghost

This is my concern. My current connection is a bit unreliable, so I am not sure if the PQ is related to my connection or Sling. I should have a better connection in a couple weeks, so I will determine if its worth keeping.

11. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Not really impressed with the 7-day trial. Hopefully later this year they improve the service and add chromecast support and then I'll reconsider.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It has worked pretty well for me on a 18mbps wireless connection using Roku. One of the playoff games was having some buffering issues for a few minutes but cleared up.

13. body slam

body slam Member

Anyone else having problems with the volume? On sling I have to have the volume almost all the way up to hear.

The only other problem I have is watching sling and being on line at the same time. Its either one or the other no multitasking.

14. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I'm happy with it -- especially for a $20 price point.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Sling is a no go with me for now. Only being able to stream from one device at a time, even with all devices connected in the same location, isn't at all practical for a family. Hell, I have a small family of three and it still doesn't work.

I also don't like what I've seen as far as audio being limited to stereo and streams > 1080i.

I'm looking forward to what Apple has in the works with their streaming service. Those guys out in Cupertinno are slowly but surely monopolizing the technology in my home.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The interface lags a lot with Roku

17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Canceled service today. It's got a lot of potential and the value is there, but I found the software and performance to be a little too unreliable. Used it on iPad, iPhone and XB1, and during the times I needed it the most there was too much 'buffering' and 'catching up' and general performance issues.

I'll try again in 6 months or a year and see if there's improvement.

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Works fine on the 3

19. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'm in the midst of a cord cutting experiment. It should be noted I live in a small town with mediocre internet service. Signed up for the 3 months of Sling prepaid in order to get the Roku 3 for $50. I signed up for the basic Sling package plus the sports channel, which is $25/month total. Also nabbed the MLB.tv Father's Day special for $49.99.

I chose this time of the year to try out cord cutting because there's nothing going on besides baseball. My 3 months prepaid will be done around the time of the start of football season. That's when I'll make my decision on whether to sign up for a new Satellite package or not.

For me, the jury is still out on Sling. There are some obvious volume issues that seem like they should be easy to fix, yet they persist. Also, is it just me, or do the ESPN networks have a lot more problems with freezing/buffering/going low quality than all of the other channels?

I will say that, if I weren't a sports fan, it would be an obvious decision for me to cancel cable/satellite and go with Hulu Plus and/or Netflix.

20. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

It absolutely SUCKS on the Roku 2, runs okay on the Roku 3, and works flawlessly on the Nexus Player. I think the complaints about the service are really more about not having a streaming device with enough power.