1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Notes from Rockets practice (10/6/2010)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch. I had to smile on the Yao part. Sounded eerily like last season with a certain you know who.

4. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Thanks clutch!

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Interesting. Was it a real limp or possibly Yao's sense of humor?

6. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

I know soccer players limp all the time but they are not hurt

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Awesome as always, Clutch.

Thanks for providing us out-of-state fans an inside look.

I appreciate seeing my boys all the way out here in Arizona.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Keep those "random musings" comin', Clutch. Terrific stuff, as usual. You're going to spoil us!

9. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

My biggest worry is not that his foot will be ok but that some other part of his body that has compensated for the foot for so long will end up in injury - knee, hip, etc

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Great inside info. Thanks Clutch.

I love Adelman's openness. I'm betting Morey and Les may not. I also agree with him 100%. There is a flow to basketball. Yao is never going to get a rhythm playing 6 minutes per half. I thought the way he worked Yao's minutes was perfect. Get him 6 minutes and then allow him to rest and catch his breath and then give him the final 6 minutes. It serves 2 purposes, one to allow Yao to get in a better rhythm and 2 to not let him get cold before he enters again.

It seems the much smarter way to go. And Yao actual exerts less energy that way because he puts less wear on his foot not having to spend time to warm up again before he reenters the game. If you wait a second half Yao will be sitting on the bench for a half hour and then he will have to really work hard at half to warm up. The 12 minutes a game is going to make it really hard for Yao to get in game shape. The 6 minutes a half is going to make it almost impossible.

I got the feeling it's more of a management decision than medical. I think our owner is in panic mode and is terrified his golden goose will stop laying gold eggs. He probably almost had a heart attack when Yao tripped and tumbled to the floor. He probably jumped out of his chair and cursed, "Damn you Adelman... why are you playing 'my precious'so many minutes in the first half!"

I could see that but it is ridiculous to coach how Adelman uses those minutes... you can't control that. It undermines the coach and it doesn't even seem in Yao's best interest. The only way to guarantee Yao doesn't get injured on the court is to not allow him to get on the court.

No matter what they do there is always the potential for injury. When yao fell down I worried a bit. But you have to allow him to go through that otherwise he will never be the Yao of old. ANd if Yao's feet are so delicate that the amount of stress in 12 minutes in a half could cause another fracture and Les is going to constantly worry about that to the point he is constantly dictate to Adelman how he is to play Yao this team will go nowhere with Yao.

Adelman is in a dilemna right now. Playing Yao 6 minutes a half actually hurts the team more than helps. Just as you start to get in a rhythm with Yao you have to sit him. If the start of the season comes around and Les starts trying to dictate not just how many minutes Yao plays but when he plays those minutes I expect fireworks. The fact is this team is better than last year Adelman will eventually say go f yourself. I am trying to win basketball games. Whereas it appears Les is trying to protect his golden goose.

I can understand wanting to protect the golden goose but Les needs to be careful not to destroy Yao's career in the process. I do not care what any doctor says no one actually knows for sure what is the breaking point of Yao's feet and to try to say other wise is just bull. Maybe Yao's feet are a ticking bomb that sooner or later will break again irregardless. Or maybe his feet have become stronger because of this and he can handle a lot more than anyone really knows. The fact is if Yao is limited to 24 minutes the rest of his career, the Yao we once knew will never return.

1 person likes this.
  11. ezzie

ezzie Member

lol at RA gettin tired of all the Yao questions, "wait n see, he needs reps, he's gettin better, its gonna take time- duh"

12. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Thanks Clutch! :)

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I 100% agree, the whole 24 minutes thing is made up hocus pocus....let the organization ramp him up, and if he holds up great, if not...his contract is up.

Adelman's job is tough enough with about 12 guys that are NBA rotation quality.....

DD

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Les is a business man first, having Yao on his team results in more money in his pocket, why are not protecting Yao on all efforts? It is not like that the rockets would win a champ with Yao playing 35 min. Les is just a smart man, who knows what he is doing, playing Yao more results in nothing at this point of the year.