1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwane Casey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, May 6, 2011.

1. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Does the Mavericks defensive success against the Lakers make Dwane Casey a stronger candidate for us and other NBA teams?

The Mavs D is allowing an average of 88.4 ppg and has not allowed 100 points this postseason.

If DM knows he can get a Center to protect the rim like Tyson Chandler is for Dallas, Dwane Casey should be a leading candidate.

Thoughts?

2. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

also give credit to Lakers' defensive woes..

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I'm not sure.

All Rick Carlilse teams have been great defensively no matter who is on his assistant staff.

4. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

but the mavs aren't scoring many points either. They are winning on Defensive!

5. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Maybe Casey is also learning alot from Carlisle to. You have no choice but to learn from coaches like that. I think Lawrence frank is also learning from Doc Rivers

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm fine with them hiring Dwane Casey. I don't understand why he's still an assistant coach.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Casey gets a lot of credit for the zone defense the Mavs use very succesfully at times and is very highly regarded in Dallas.

8. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

9. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

wow wrong thread lol

10. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the Casey threads had a link to an opinion on him. Apologies to the OP I can't find that thread or link. But it contained this quote...

Needless to say his firing wasn’t all what it seemed. Not to mention he was completely undermined by the front office who dictated who his lead assistant was by forcing Casey choice out for Randy Wittman, his successor. Word is when that decision came down it was just a matter of time before Casey got the axe. It was clear ownership had started the wheels in another direction before Casey was even out the door.

WOW! Talk about the perfect qualifications for this team.

11. BleedRocketsRed

Dayamn. Lol if he reads ClutchFans, then he will probably reject this job haha.

Yeah I really thought his firing was unfair as well. He inherited a team which had KG but a second best player of Ricky Davis. By some miracle, he had that team at 500 and competing for a playoff spot and surprisingly got the axe.

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

He's a wildcat, so..... ;)

13. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

Someone posted this link in another thread, and after reading it and seeing how much of an impact he is having defensively against the lakers, I think Dwayne Casey would make a great choice.

http://www.reclinergm.com/who-is-dw...d-time-for-the-sixers-head-coaching-position/

The Good
    Defensive focused coach who was moderately successful as a head coach improving this area
    Loves the game of basketball and is student of the game always looking to learn and improve his coaching ability.

Has a diverse coaching background from high level college basketball, NBA and overseas.

Said to be a disciplinarian one who won’t let players run over him but not an authoritarian who over coaches and doesn’t accept thoughtful input from key players, assistant coaches or advanced scouts and statisticians.

Good at developing players and is fantastic with his game preparation and maximizing practice time.

Overachiever

According to Dean Oliver who was with the Supersonics while Casey was an assistant, Dwane does use advanced statistical analysis as part of his coaching toolbox.

The Bad
    Inexperienced as a head coach with only a year and half under his belt with a bad team.* But for an assistant it’s actually more than most.

Said to have weird/questionable rotations and substitution patterns and well as still learning/lacking with his in-game management and adjustments such as when to call timeouts and what is executed out of timeouts.

Perceived to be laid back (but some also say he is intense enough to compliment that)
    Would seriously need to paired with a strong offensive lead assistant.

Summing It Up
    Good up and coming coach who unjustly got a bad reputation in Minnesota coaching one star surrounded by a bunch of misfits.* Just needs an opportunity with a club that has a decent roster and managment that has a clue.* Has his flaws but isn’t egotisical so he realizes and acknowledges them in order to get better.* Jury is still out whether he is best suited as an assistant coach because of his strong prepatory and player development skills or can legitimately a good head coach (can excel in game with rotations and tactical adjustments).* But the belief by some people is that he can take mediocre roster and overachieve.

14. BleedRocketsRed

Whoa I just found that on Google, was reading it and was about to post it.

Yeah I too am sold on Casey after reading that. The fact that he is a moneyball coach is gravy.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Dwane Casey is the guy I'd favor, of all the names we've heard so far.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It also helps that they have 2 quality bigs to throw at Gasol and Bynum. And enough offensive speed and shooting accuracy to keep Kobe/Fisher/S. Brown/Blake off balance and actually thinking about defending players instead of the next spot up 3 they'll be attempting on the other end.

I won't give all the credit to the players but the ability to throw size and speed at the Lakers really slows down their offensive attack.

The coaches on the defensive have done their part so I guess it could be 50/50 between the two.

17. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

A coaching staff of Dwane Casey as the head coach and John Lucas, Mario Elie, and Chris Finch as the three assistants wouldn't be bad.

18. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

I think Casey should be the head coach. His energy and defensive focus is exactly what this offensive focused roster needs. But like the article says, he will need a strong offensive assistant coach, and I'm not sure John Lucas fits that bill. I see Lucas more as a player development coach/mentor which would be great for our young team. Cassel and Elle are also great assistant coaches to have.

I think the lead assistant should be SAMPSON

A bench of Casey, Sampson, Lucas, and Elle would be IDEAL for our young team under development.

19. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Bucks won't let Sampson leave for another assistant coaching job and that is assuming Sampson would want to come here as an assistant. Lucas lives here in Houston so I would think he would interest if he wanted to come back to coaching. The Kings will probably fire Paul Westphal sometime soon and Elle might be in the market for a job and he also lives here in Houston in the offseason. Morey loves Finch and probably wants him to gain NBA experience and potentially groom him as a future head coach.