1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In the Shark Tank!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, Aug 8, 2002.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i've been to this aquarium!!! that must have been extremely scary!!

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louis...A--AquariumAccident&&news&newsflash-louisiana

Platform at aquarium falls, dumps people into shark tank

The Associated Press
    8/7/02 11:37 PM

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- A platform at the Aquarium of the Americas collapsed Wednesday evening, dumping 10 people straight into a tank teeming with sharks.

There were no serious injuries reported, but two people were taken to Tulane University Hospital for minor cuts and bruises they sustained after hitting artificial barnacles as they fell, aquarium spokeswoman Melissa Lee said.

The accident happened while members of the aquarium were on an after-hours behind-the-scenes tour. The platform they were standing on is used by keepers to feed the sharks and is not usually open to the general public, Lee said.

The steel footbridge in the Gulf of Mexico exhibit allows visitors to peer down into a 400,000 gallon tank home to everything from a few dozen nurse and sand tiger sharks to turtles, schools of redfish and stingrays.

Erin Rooney, 14, was on the catwalk with her family when it collapsed.

"It just cracked. We held onto the bars and swam to the sides," she told WVUE-TV.

Her father, Dan Rooney, was frantically searching for his 2-year-old grandchild, when he saw someone hand the toddler to another person on the stable part of the catwalk.

"I was just praying none of the sharks got agitated from all of the splashing and everything. I mean, they got sharks in there bigger than me," he said.

Though at 10-feet long and 400 pounds the sharks may seem intimidating, they had already been fed and are generally docile, Lee said.

The sharks are used to seeing divers in their tank on a regular basis, but seeing so many people tumble in at once was probably startled them, Lee said.

"I've been told they took off and went to the other side of the exhibit," she said.

Staffers at the aquarium are trained to deal with emergencies like this one, Lee said, and reacted quickly to the chaotic scene, pulling people from the waters using nearby flotation devices.

"They knew exactly what to do and they did it," she said

2. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Lets just say that its a good thing Great Whites cant live in captivity or this could have been REAL interesting.

3. MadMax

they can't live in captivity?? what happens to them??

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I've seen that exhibit and it's quite impressive.

5. MadMax

even more so when the tourists are made part of it! :) talk about an interactive exhibit! wow!!!

6. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Heh, I bet they came close to losing bowel control. We went to that aquarium at New Years and they told us, as they mentioned in the article, that the sharks are docile as long as they are full.

Otherwise the other fish in the tank wouldn't live for long =). They did tell us that you could get seriously hurt by the swordfish's bill.

Oh, and there wouldn't exactly be room for a great white in that tank.

7. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

MadMax

Great whites cant survive in captivity because of their size and need of space but
    even in huge tanks, great whites would probably run into electrical problems. The Monterey Bay Aquarium proposes that electromagnetic fields in steel and concrete tanks may confuse the sharks' delicate navigational systems. Great whites can pick up electrical charges as small as 0.005 microvolts, or the electrical energy generated by a beating heart or a gill action.

I saw a Discovery special where they tried to keep a baby white and it just kept
    declining and finally died. They said despite every effort any time they try to keep one it dies.

#7 Mr.Scary, Aug 8, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2002
  8. MadMax

wow...that's really interesting! thanks for posting it!

9. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

You mean you haven't seen Jaws MadMax? :)

10. MadMax

i saw jawas once..but that was a different movie, i think. :)

(yes..i've seen jaws...didn't remember the zoological tidbits so much though! i was pretty young and all i remember is that it didn't scare me as much as it scared others...i love the beach too much to stop going!)

11. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I'm a bit of a shark fanatic. I am saving up to go to South Africa one day go on the tour and actually see a White Pointer.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Where can you scuba dive with Great Whites and how much is it?

13. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

14. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Diving?...Sharks?...Jaws?...

Before I came to the states I was fearless underwater. I would swim through schools of barracuda...shoot at sharks (yep, lost one very expensive CO2 cartridge spear gun pulling that stunt). Okay, maybe I was more ignorant than fearless.

I get here and watch a shark movie.

Now, Ive back peddle off a 1.5ft barracuda on Palancar Reef in Cozumel.

That sickened me....or am I smarter.

RR