1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meet Chris Finch: 13th coach in Rockets History?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, May 23, 2011.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Chris Finch: The Man Next To The Man

After listening to the interviews below It's easy to see why Daryl Morey only wants a 2 year placeholder/mentor coach now. Finch speaks Morey's language. Finch also subscribes to Morey's use of advanced statistical analytics in the team’s day-to-day operations.

13. Chris Finch (2014-??)

12. ??? (2012-2014)

11. Rick Adelman (2007-11)

10. Jeff Van Gundy (2003-07)

9. Rudy Tomjanovich (1992-2003)

8. Don Chaney (1988-92)

7. Bill Fitch (1983-88)

6. Del Harris (1979-83)

5. Tom Nissalke (1976-79)

4. Johnny Egan (1973-76)

3. Tex Winter (1971-73)

2. Alex Hannum (1969-71)

1. Jack McMahon (1967-69)

DraftExpress Interview with Chris Finch
    by: Jonathan Givony

Chris Finch is the head coach of the Rio Grande Valley Vipers and the British National Team, which will compete in the 2012 Olympics in London. He was formerly the head coach of Dexia Mons, one of the top teams in Belgium, and played in Britian and collegiately in the US.

Part One
    Chris Finch discusses his decision to leave Belgium for the sake of coaching in the D-League, the differences between European basketball and the NBADL, the relationship he enjoys with the Houston Rockets, and their cooperation with Rio Grande Valley.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6H_p7lsnmO8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6H_p7lsnmO8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Part Two
    Finch discusses his role as the head coach of Luol Deng and the British National Team.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qf0vstHwLBw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qf0vstHwLBw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Chris Finch is the smoke screen and not Kevin McHale.

3. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Smoke screen for who?/what?

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

misleading title

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Read his Wiki page. He's won a ton of championships in various leagues.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

For Kevin McHale.

7. jwayne

jwayne Member

I dont think so, it mentions the possibility he becomes the 13th coach in Rockets, not the 12th which we are looking to hire now.

1 person likes this.
  8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Let's just get it over with and hire him now.

9. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I think McHale would be the smoke screen for Finch, not the other way around. Mchale will only be offered a 2 year contract and Finch will be on his staff.

1 person likes this.
  10. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I agree. Hire Finch now and trade Scola in a package for a top 5 draft pick.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Exactly. All signs support your view, which shows that it's what they want you to think.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Wow if McHale is what we end up with in the long run as a replacement for RA, DM and Les are indeed pathetic and without honour

13. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I don't understand why they don't name Finch the head coach if they like him so much. Its not like they are going anywhere soon. Mind as well let the team suck with him as coach and grow as a team and coach. And plus he runs the same offense as Rick.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

What's the story on this guy? I keep hearing his name brought up about being our assistant and eventual head coach. Never heard of him.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Okay, enough already.

Guys, no one--and I mean NO ONE, including Daryl Morey himself--is disputing the fact that the Rockets' next head coach will not be as high a quality of NBA head coach as Rick Adelman. (Well, technically, Morey just acknowledged that Adelman was an excellent coach and that him not being brought back had zero to do with his performance; but I think, in an honest moment, he'd readily admit the statement above.)

People need to stop comparing the next head coach--be it McHale, Casey, Frank, Fitch, or whoever--to Rick Adelman. It is an unfair comparison and one that only makes other readers mad. I mean, you can't HELP but get mad at the side-by-side comparison against a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

But, given where the Houston Rockets are right now as a team and a franchise, they are looking for something totally different from what Rick Adelman has been giving them. This is a team in rebuild mode. Hall of Fame coaches usually don't like to knowingly take on teams like that, at least in the inception of the "admitted rebuild" like the Rockets now are.

Get over it already. Adelman's gone. The next guy won't be as good. Period.

But maybe the Rockets will be better off IN THE LONG RUN with the next guy than they would have been had Adelman come back. Not that this team would knowingly "tank," but there's a much better chance that this team bottoms out under a new coach than it will under Adelman.

All those clamoring for Morey's head because the Rockets have the #14 pick again instead of a high lottery pick cannot then talk out of the other side of their mouths and complain about Adelman not being brought back and about how the next head coach is going to suck. Pick a position and stick with it!

Look, I'll admit it. I'm pissed that Adelman is not coming back. I'm not the world's biggest fan of Kevin McHale as a head coaching candidate. But I'm going to give Morey the benefit of the doubt, since I think he's earned it. I'll continue to root for my team and see how this all plays out.

But please, for the love of all things holy, STOP TALKING ABOUT ADELMAN.

It's a fruitless conversation and completely moot. We are where we are.

2 people like this.
  16. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don't think McHale, or whoever we hire, would be as much of a lame duck as people make him out to be. With that said, that interview was very impressive.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You didn't read my post. I was replying to Carl's quote of saying Finch being a smoke screen for McHale, which was more of a joke anyways.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think Less may be enamored with the whole "place holder' thing. Look at how he brought in Morey to work under CD. For some reason, he thinks that if it "worked" then, why not with a coach? Hire some chump with a "name" to sell to the fans and the league with the caveat that Finch be a top assistant on his staff, get the guy comfortable with coaching at this level and see how he operates dealing with Morey and Less on a day to day basis, and then ease out Lurch by offering him a consulting job with a nice contract (which he may very well decline, unless he believes he has a shot at taking Morey's job, the poor b*stard), and Finch takes over. Nice side benefit? Less saves millions by paying Lurch less than a top flight coach, like Adelman, would have cost, and Finch will jump at the head coaching gig for a couple of million a year (chump change for an NBA head coach), with the promise of a big payday after he's "proven" himself at this level.

Simple. Simple, and it sucks, in my humble opinion. It sucks that McHale will be used in this fashion, it sucks that they have to dance through this charade with Finch, and it sucks to the max that Adelman was treated in this fashion and essentially asked to dump his loyal assistants and play the Lurch role. Less ends up looking like the slimy cat he's proven himself to be, and Morey, in order to stay safe in his job position, plays the role of the loyal tool.

Just a theory, one some others have speculated about, as well, but one that rings true at the moment, assuming Casey isn't really the hire. Casey makes too much sense, if Adelman (in Less's eyes) had to go. The longer this plays out, the more bizarre it seems to get.

2 people like this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

It makes too much sense if you put it like that. What's not to like??

Why does it suck if what you are speculating is true? How is it dancing through a "charade" when you already outlined all the well-thought out reasons: ease into coaching at the next level, gets comfortable dealing with Morey/Les, much like how it worked out fine with CD/Morey. And how exactly was Adelman treated? It is a crime that they wanted to go a different direction? The fact that they would agree to bring him back with some compromises was a.. compromise. It sucks that they wanted to work something out?

I get the feeling from your posts that the only thing that would have made you happy would be if ONLY Adelman got his way. When was it that Adelman became the sigil of all things Rockets where he is viewed as some kind of martyr now. While "Less" is some kind of anti-Rocket bad guy. There was disagreements on BOTH sides, and the OWNER of the team got his way. As he should have. Since he OWNS the team. Since Adelman wanted HIS way so bad, that is why he is no longer a Rocket. It sucks that Adelman's ego was more important to him than being a Rocket. Better luck in LA where maybe Kobe can keep it in check.
    :grin:

#19 CXbby, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  20. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Its weird. The only guys who have zero experience as an NBA assistant yet have a shot at an NBA head coaching job are college head coaches (and they, pretty much never, work out). Don't think I have ever seen a D-League or International head coach get an NBA head coaching job having never been an assistant (yet I think that we have seen several college coaches).

I personally agree with Morey on this one. Give Finch a shot as an assistant coach, let him gain experience, grow and then take the reigns when he is ready. Keep in mind that Chris Finch, while experienced, is only 41 years old. I could imagine that it would be pretty difficult for a young guy with zero experience as an assistant coach and zero NBA playing experience to earn the trust/attention of multi-million dollar athletes.