1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2014] What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Just finished reading this gem. I liken it to The Book Thief and Sarah's Key (in both plot and deeply moving accounts) as far as young children being forced to grow up during World War II. Good book.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i picked this while in paris at the bookstore next to notre dame. i couldnt decide after looking forever and decided on this since ya know.

overall though not typically something i would read but pretty great though.

3. davo

davo Contributing Member

I was thinking of reading Game of Thrones. I like any well written book and there is obviously a lot of hype about GOT, but I'm not really a big fantasy fan. Should I read it?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed the books and I'm not a fan of "fantasy" books. I'd say give it a shot, if you're not sold by midway through book 2, then you can quit and still say you tried.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I'm reading that right now. :) I am really enjoying it.

6. malakas

malakas Member

As a general book it is not well written. It has good character development but that is.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Skip book one altogether. It is the exact same as season 1. In fact watching season 1 then reading the book helped me more than reading it first. There are just so many characters thrown at you that visually seeing them helped me identify them.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Short Drop by Matthew FitzSimmons.

Political thriller. Amazing first novel. Highly recommend.

It is a Kindle First pick for November 2015.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. what

what Member

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

i blazed through Ready Player One in two days. Great fun read.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Just finished Red Rising by Pierce Brown.

I think I would rate It 3 out of 5.

Some have compared it to Enders Game, and the Hunger games. I liked the beginning of the book, and the setting for the story. But, I never felt anything for any of the characters. Lots of characters, but very little character development.

This is the first book in a series. Not sure if I'll read the next one. Teenagers will probably love this book. Lots of violence.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Awesome book, might be my favorite read of 1015.

I've become a fan of Military Sci-Fi/Fantasy over the past few years. I realized that I enjoy action in my books and this genre has it in spades.

I just started the Gaunt's Ghosts series of Military Sci-Fi books. It's based in the Warhammer 40k universe, a tactical wargame environment that people play with miniature figures. I normally wouldn't touch books based in games but the GG books are highly lauded, by some as the best Military Sci-Fi out there. I'm on book one and so far it has fantastic writing with fair action.

[​IMG]

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lulz, Hugh Howey just liked one of my tweets, and less than a month after I finished Wool. It was a nothing, joke tweet about the Rockets ... with just 3 other likes.

I'm like, "wow, that's the author of Wool." What's he doing in our little, geeky corner of cfnet/Rockets tweets. :cool:

[edit] looks like Hugh is a Rockets fan, from who he's following. Houston Rockets, Craig Ackerman, Vernon, and even a cfnet guy who posts Rockets stats, to name a few.

#393 heypartner, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Xerobull likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Holy crap, that's awesome! Still one of my favorite books.