1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Y'all ready for sub $1.50 gas prices and a recession? Iran is back in the Oil Game!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Nov 9, 2015.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Are you guys on Linkedin? In the past three years, I have never not been actively recruited by headhunters. If you don't have a profile, I would HIGHLY suggest you get one. Also, are you CPAs? If you have the time/resources, I would definitely pursue it. It opened so many doors for me.

Here is one I got today. This guy was trying to sell me on a couple of these. Maybe some of these are a good fit for you guys:

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Thanks, larvs. I'm a Business Administration major so I have to take a few accounting classes before I can sit for the CPA. You're right, it does open a lot of doors so it may be worth it. I'm trying to gauge what's out there but that seems like a good idea even if I land something good quickly.

3. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Anything for Spotfire Analysts?

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

So the U.S. just produced 4 million extra barrels of oil by drilling into rocks with intrinsic permeability less than concrete. How long until the rebound?

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Question for larsv8 and/or anyone who is informed on the matter:

I would like to go for a CPA, maybe. I meet all the requirements except for the number of hours needed in accounting classes. I have a BBA in economics & international business. However, I took as few accounting courses as possible in pursuit of that degree. Basically Intro 1, Intro 2, and a class called management accounting. So I think that means I only have 3 hours of "upper level" accounting courses, meaning I need 27 more.

At first I was thinking I could just take a bunch of accounting courses at Lone Star College since a campus is just a few minutes from my house. But, damn, 27 hours is a lot. So then I got to thinking, should I just go for an online MBA?

Now, this MBA would be online, and would be from a not-great university (SHSU). I have always been told that MBAs that aren't from elite schools are basically worthless. But, maybe an online MBA from a not-great university would look better if I also have a CPA?

So I think there are two options:

1) Take 9 accounting courses (2 courses per semester, let's say) from LSC-CyFair then sit for CPA in early 2019.

2) Take 5 accounting courses from LSC-CyFair. Take SHSU online MBA, doing 2 courses per semester. This will include 4 accounting courses if I choose all accounting for my electives. Sit for CPA in late 2020.​

Cost isn't really an issue as my employer will cover it.

So basically I guess I'm asking if it'd be worth the extra year+ to go for the MBA, given that it's not an impressive MBA is some people's eyes?

I have several coworkers who are salary graded above me with MBAs and I honestly don't know where they got them; I personally don't think it's something that's a huge deal*. But, again, I have always heard otherwise (especially here on CF).

Anyway, anyone's thoughts are appreciated, though I would especially appreciate the thoughts of people who are themselves educated/experienced on MBAs, CPAs, accounting-ish careers, etc.

*As long as it's not from a U of Phoenix type place, obv.

6. larsv8

I have an MBA from UH and and CPA, and I regret getting the MBA. CPA just brings so much more value.

My advice to you is to take the Lonestar classes to get the credits (I used online HCC) and then pursue the CPA.

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'm finishing my last MBA class in December. I figured it would be a nice fall back degree in case I never get my CPA. I've taken audit twice, last time in June and was short 2 points! Definitely hard to study while working in public but it can be done.

8. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I was in the same boat two years ago. I wanted to get my CPA and I had an undergraduate degree in finance. I only had 3 "upper level" accounting hours and I knew that I eventually wanted to get a masters. I decided to get my MSA (Masters of Science in Accounting and I'm currently in my last semester. I plan on sitting for my first CPA exam in the summer.

9. larsv8

My path was a BBA in Economics.

Then straight into an MBA.

Halfway through the MBA, I started looking for internships and post school employment and found there just isn't much demand for what I had. I pulled a U-turn and focused all of my MBA electives into accounting classes.

After graduation, I starting working in public accounting, which was probably the best career move I ever made. You learn so much valuable knowledge in public accounting (audit, not tax), that is applicable in soo many different types of businesses. My only regret was not giving big four a chance because experience in big 4 is HIGHLY SOUGHT after, even though, in my opinion, you learn more in the smaller firms where you have more access to different things. I would recommend to anyone a cup of coffee in public accounting. Its not a good career, because the hours are brutal, but 2-3 years and you are golden.

While working in public accounting, I took classes at HCC to fill up the upper level of accounting classes I needed. I buddied up with the hot chick in the office and we would just stay an hour or two after work and study study study. CPA, btw, was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Seriously, it is no joke as a far as licenses go. Took a long time, but got through it.

After four years of Public Accounting, I took what I consider a coush job in industry in internal controls. Huge multinational corporation, good hours, high pay. I basically just wander around and fix problems and periodically check in with the higher ups. I act as a liason to auditors and other random things. I am rarely doing the same thing twice, which makes things interesting. I honestly thought the spot I am in now is where I would top out in my career when I was younger, but the sky is seemingly the limit at this point. I see tons of opportunity to move up and as I noted in the thread above, headhunters seek me out constantly on Linked.

Long story short, I would recommend CPA / public accounting experience to anyone, but the MBA less so.

The best approach, IMO, figure out where you wanna be first, then figure out how to get there.

10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Larsv8 - I'm on linkedin, but the head hunters are a little slower these days. I'm just looking for a switch.

I'm employed, I just hate who I work for. I'm manager of Corporate Accounting and Financial Reporting. The work is fine, but I have an overbearing boss and the company isn't doing well (it was not doing well before the O&G downturn either, so it's not like something that will pass with time).

I have MBA (SHSU) and CPA. Only problem for me right now is finding something that I fit into. There haven't been a lot of manager and up positions that fit my zone (oilfield services/manufacturing), especially in the right salary range. It's just a lot slower with the low prices.

I'm also being pretty picky when I look, because I don't want to end up hating it like I do here.

I would encourage CPA if you're wanting to do the accounting route. You don't really need it in the private sector, but it helps you get the interview.

11. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'm in tax. Trying to get into forensics or auditing at my firm but not sure if I want the pay cut. :'(

12. larsv8

Tax people seem miserable to me. Half my floor is reporting/accounting which is vibrant and loud. They other half is tax and they just sit in silence for the most part.

If you love tax, I'd encourage you to make it a career. My advise is mostly for the younger folks who haven't settled in anywhere.

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Can't say that I LOVE it. Its ok. Its what was available at the time I was starting out two years ago. I think I'm still young enough (26) that a career change this early shouldn't set me back too much.