1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone who wants Morey to get fired is a *insert a more appropriate word*

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Nov 27, 2015.

1. RocketStream

RocketStream Member

It would be a mistake to let go of Morey in my opinion. He has done a good job of bringing talent together which is the main job of a GM.

However, I do think that "Moreyball" needs to be updated/improved.

In regard to their jump shot selections....When the Rockets are struggling to hit the 3-ball it would be wise to attempt a higher percentage 2-point shot just to get on the board again. I think it would benefit the Rockets to take a few more 2-point jump shots (assuming it is a good look at the basket) just to increase their chances of putting points on the board.

So how about an occasional pick and pop for the 2-point shot?

2. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

Lol, this thread with all the Morey shills. Ok, here's my fill in:

Anyone who wants Morey fired is a reasonable fan. Get er done les. In les we trust!

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Morey needs to answer for why the team he assembled has been so bad this year. Dude loves boasting about his team but where is the criticism? The fans deserve an answer.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think you might be overstating your importance as a fan. The only thing you deserve is the right to not buy a ticket or watch the games. And no , Morey doesn't need to answer for anything. He has built up more credibility than he will ever need.

If someone needs to be held accountable, it's the players.

5. Drogba

Drogba Member

Yep. He was EVERYWHERE last season when we finished 2nd. "Alllll up in the videos" as Suge Knight would say but suddenly nowhere to be seen now the team he built are embarrassing themselves out there on a nightly basis.

Hands down the most overrated GM in NBA history. Crowned before achieving anything worth a damn. He made out like a bandit in the Harden trade & did well acquiring Dwight but the team he assembled around them is laughably bad.

The likes of Bob Myers (Jerry West), Sam Presti, R.C. Budford etc must be laughing at the amount of publicity and fanfare he gets.

1 person likes this.
  6. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

So if fans stop buying tickets, that's not important? Les would not be concerned? Morey needs to answer to les, the guy that is signing his paycheck, it is due time for Morey to be let go. Get er done Les!

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's a moot point, because Rockets have the most season-ticketholders in their history right now. Most games are already sold out, whether people show up or not. To date, their tickets sold average 98% capacity this year.

8. hakeemthagreat

I'm not sure our definitions of "open" are the same. The looks I'm seeing are NOT open. They are mostly contested off balance 3's taken by low percentage shooters

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'm assuming that you haven't read most of the posts in the thread.

The problem with your suggestion is that midrange shots aren't more efficient. This season, Golden State is the best mid range shooting team in the league and their efficiency is identical to our 3 point efficiency this year. As bad as we have been with the threes, not a single team has been any more efficient from mid range. You can shoot a slightly higher percentage but not enough to overcome the fact that shots from behind the arc count one and a half times what a shot from midrange does.

If we are being inefficient from the 3 point line it would mske no sense to switch to an even more inefficient shot.

10. aelliott

The NBA tracks everything so the numbers can't really be disputed. The leagues statistical definition is the closest defender at least 4 feet away from the shooter.

edit:

The NBA tracks the closest defender on every shot and they classify them into 4 groups. Here's the Rockets numbers so far his season:

Closest defender 0-2 ft away : 0.3 Att/game 0.1 makes/game

Closest defender 2-4 Ft away: 7.8 ATT game 2.1 makes/game

Those two are the two contested groupings.

closest defender 4-6 Ft: 13.4 ATT/game. 4.0 makes/game

Closest defender more than 6 feet away: 10.3 ATT/game 3.6 makes/game

Those two categories are the open groupings.

It may seem to you like most of the 3s are contested but as you can see that isn't close o true. Further, 3.2 of those contested 3pt shots are Harden's and he is good at them. In fact Harden is shooting a higher percentage on contested 3s than he is on uncontested ones. If you remove his contested 3s, we only shoot 4.9 contested 3s per game.

#150 aelliott, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  11. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

So based on what u r saying, as long as all tickets r sold
    ,but fewer and fewer fans show up it's ok. Gotcha. Les! Get er done! Send Morey a pink slip.

12. puppytigers

puppytigers Member

Is the team's eFG% on contested 3's higher than the respective eFG% on open long 2's?

13. aelliott

Heypartner and I discussed that question earlier in the thread. I don't know of anywhere to get those stats.

The fact is that other than Harden, we only shoot 4.9 contested 3 pointers per game. That's not a whole lot considering end of shot clock and end of quarter situations that arise every game. Every team takes some of those. There's no guarentee that if you didn't take a contested 3 in those situations that you would have instead gotten an uncontested 2. If the shooter was taking the shot because of the clock then there likely wasn't an alternative.

Bottom line is that other than Harden, we just aren't shooting that many contested 3s. In the case of Harden, he's good at shooting them (lots of stepback 3s) and so far this season he's actually shooting better on those contested 3's than on uncontested.

Hp and I were discussing potential ft attempts on midrange vs on 3s. My opinion was that your not any more likely to be fouled while shooting a jumpshot regardless of where you are with respect to the arc. If you further limit it to uncontested midrange as in your question, then I'd believe that your chances to get fouled go way down just because nobody is close enough to foul the shooter.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Agree. And I further speculated that even if there is more fouls on mid-range 2s than contested 3s, that would likely be offset by more turnovers attempting to operate inside the arc than outside the arc, especially for this team. :(

15. omgTHEpotential

Probably not a popular opinon, but I still think Morey doesn't deserve to get fired. He's just too good. Rockets very likely won't find a better GM than him.

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i think he should be on the hotseat and given till next midseason. its not hard to make a 2nd round team with harden as your best player. replace dwight's contract with a starting center and a 3rd option and rockets are a 6th seed at worst.

like mchale, morey should be given a chance to get out of this mess. he's been too good to just fire.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In Morey we trust.

18. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

I still think there isn't a better GM period other than Morey. Truth is, no one except those inside the organization really know how much influence Morey has in regards to the coaching aspect of the team vs Les. So many point to the San Antonio Spurs or GSW, but they either got to tank for a Duncan, or got high enough draft picks to pick out Steph Curry, Harrison Barnes, Klay Thompson.

Les gave the directive to rebuild without tanking. Before Morey, we had the infamous Kelvin Cato contract, the Mo Taylor contract, the Matt Maloney contract... Some people are so quick to forget.

Just watch Philadelphia unravel with Bryan Colangelo (Hey he's a "basketball guy") finding the next Andrea Bargnani and paying him $59 million dollars, or trading for the next Rudy Gay. Let's not even get started on the Jose Calderon extension.

The only other team that is arguably better run in the same rebuild without tanking method is the Boston Celtics, who got Brad Mfing Stevens, who I would absolutely kill for as a coach.

Look at the past champions of the last decade. We've had GS, SA, Miami, LA, DAL... all of these teams built around a franchise high draft pick. Curry, Duncan, Wade/Lebron, Kobe, Nowitzki.

No GM is perfect. Morey made some obvious mistakes. Kawhi Leonard is the biggest one for sure. But he's also made up for his mistakes by pulling enough rabbits out of the hat. Harden, Howard, Ariza over Parsons, Beverley out of Russia, Beasley from China, Dmo, Early TJones, the ingenious Lowry Trade, the Asik Backload, the Luis Scola trade for VSpan, the Mcgrady offload, finding Chandler Parsons, Aaron Brooks, Kyle Lowry for Alston...

Morey is a master. We are all understandably at wits end with this season. But trust me, it could be worse, a LOT worse than having an actual franchise level piece in Harden, get rid of the GM who got us here, and we can turn into the Knicks or Nets in a heartbeat. No Assets, no star players, bloated contracts, and no hope.

I don't know how many years we suffered through where we would all be waiting for the offseason (or worse the end of next season) when we might finally have the chance to offload that god-awful contract to actually do something.

It's always greener on the other side.

1 person likes this.
  19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

The team will stick with Morey. If they can find someone better, great. But that's not likely at all.

I'm pretty sick and tired of FTW misrepresenting cherry picked quotes and attacking the strawmen he's built ad nauseum by regurgitating bull**** in every thread.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You mean when he brought back or tried to bring back all the core players from last season when we made it to the WCF in the name of... *gasp* CHEMISTRY? :eek: :rolleyes: