1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Charles Barkley] The Dirty Dark Secret

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Oct 27, 2014.

1. TheresTheDagger

Ran across this radio interview this week with Charles Barkley. Some very interesting and controversial comments. I was curious what Clutchfans thinks of these comments.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/mOIGk-xbvOM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/mOIGk-xbvOM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

He says what he thinks.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Can someone summarize the video? Can't watch.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/27/showb...ey-russell-wilson-not-black-enough/index.html

The truth and not at all controversial, IMO.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Charles Barkley is successful and therefore not black enough to comment on the black community.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

who am I to question what about a black person feels about his cultural identity, I'm not black.

but I can see how in certain school or neighborhoods of poorer black communities where you are not cool if you never cut class and study all day.

but I thought the whole thug thing kinda died down in recent times, even in gangster rap. I thought it's cool to wear tight dress shirts and lensless hipster glasses now.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe the stuff about being successful is true, but I don't think Chucky is qualified to discuss how people respond when you "speak intelligent".

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Chuckster trying to reel in republican votes for his Alabama Governor race as a republican

Rocket River

9. Nook

Nook Member

A single famous black person makes a comment that the black community in general has issues and.......... BAM.... it is a topic with every conservative white male coming out of the wood work to say "See, that negro gets it!"

It is just an odd thing. I hear all the time that the black community has no leaders, that there is no accountability.... but whenever a black person of stature comes forward with a criticism of their own community it becomes an "absolute" to a certain subset of the white population and is then vilified by other black Americans. Look at Bill Cosby. It has been years and his comments are still used by certain groups to justify the idea that black people as a demographic have problem only because of other black people... and then of course you have the call from others that he is an Uncle Tom.

No wonder so many famous black Americans keep their mouths shut and just smile. Discuss "black issues" as a black and you end up with everyone hating you.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

by those standards Barkley is a great black person.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Lol, someone had to try and get this thread fired up.

12. Buck Turgidson

I get what you're saying, especially in the first paragraph, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't white people that came up with "Uncle Tom" and "acting white" as slurs.

First thing I thought too when I read that line. Awesome. And I love Charles.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I didn't mean to say it was white people using the term "Uncle Tom" or "acting white". In my experience there is a strong backlash from BOTH sides... black and white.

As far as "acting white", I don't know..... I have heard a lot of white people using that to describe black friends, co-workers, etc.... the difference is that they mean it usually as a compliment (which is as equally screwed up).

Ultimately, I will just say that I can understand why someone that is black and famous would bite their tongue on the issue of the black community and possible problems......

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I witnessed this phenomenon on Facebook during the Ferguson mess. I think every single one of my conservative friends shared some video of a random black dude blaming black people for white people being racist. It's hilarious.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://verysmartbrothas.com/dear-bl...that-bad-blacks-are-holding-good-blacks-back/

[more at the page]

Rocket River

16. rudan

rudan Member

Not possible, he's a gay loving obama democrat........

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Showing love towards a fellow human. What an insult.

18. TheresTheDagger

I would add that this is the case for people of all races. Everybody (regardless of color) gets support for claiming racism is the reason blacks have had issues. Of course this is true. But where folks start to get angry is when they start to ponder if there are other factors at play beyond that.

I think this is (part of) what Charles is getting at. Even discussing it as a factor gets you called a racist if your white and an Uncle Tom, sellout, or stupid if you're black.

19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Barkley makes pretty good points, but he's not completely on the mark. I think this is a socioeconomical issue, not a "black people" (or any other race) issue or an intelligence issue.

20. rudan

rudan Member

Any race or group of people who adopt 'group think' cannot think for themselves.