1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Is Demarcus Cousins better than Dwight Howard?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hardLINer, Nov 23, 2014.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Wouldn't even be having this discussion if Dwight would embrace the Pick'n'Roll...

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

Howard the only player in NBA who does't get a foul call unless it is flagrant on him
    That's put a lot of stress on his health and took a rhythm of his game..

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Big Men Rankings for me...

1. Anthony Davis
    2. Dwight Howard
    3. Marc Gasol
    4. Demarcus Cousins
    5. Blake Griffin/Kevin Love/Lamarcus Aldridge

Joakim Noah is GROSSLY overrated. If he didn't play in media-darling-Chicago, he wouldn't be thought of nearly as high.

4. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he has that midrange and can work out with Hakeem then he should be more versatile

6. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Top centers:
    1. Davis
    2. Cousins
    3. Howard

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Forgot about Marc Gasol, always goes quietly about his business but is probably #1 since Davis is not really a center.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Davis is supposed to be a PF, not a center. Just saying.

For the record, I don't think there's much difference between a 4 and a 5 in the NBA. They are all bigs. Some play close to the basket, some don't. Most of them are better at defending the paint than defending in the perimeter.

9. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

certainly more skilled...better feet and hands....not as imposing defensively because he lacks the D12's athleticism. He's got fire under his belly and probably works harder too. His ft percentage was under 70% this year he's close to 80%

10. i3artow i3aller

i3oogie is definitely the next great big man.
    The man works on his game like a mad scientist.
    Hard to believe Wa11 and Cousins didn't win the NCAA title.
    [​IMG]

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOLwut? I don't dislike Cousins, I am totally ambivalent to him however I do have an issue with everyone on this thread gushing all over the guy when he hasn't really proved anything yet. Everyone seems to be calling him unstoppable, a monster in the paint etc. but when you bring out his okay-ish efficiency numbers that's supposed to be excused by the fact that he takes jumpshots and rebounds his misses? Well if he was so unstoppable and unarguable why is the ball not going in more than 52% of the time? You talk about his low fg% like it was decades ago but 49% isn't exactly jaw dropping either and the years before that he was shooting at below 45%, worse than guards who play in the perimeter all the time. FYI Dwight was scoring at 60% rate at the time.Yes I'm well aware that Dwight is limited offensively and his high FG% was probably just due to dunks rather than Cousins' snazzy post up moves, but at the same time how can you call someone unstoppable on offense when the rate the ball goes in the hoop is so low compared to "offensively challenged" Dwight?

Speaking of Dwight, how can people even say Cousins is better than him when Dwight in his prime took an even worse supporting cast to the Finals and made them a perennial 50 win team while Cousins led his squad to 28 wins last year and only an okay-ish 8-5 start this year? Obv averaging 25 and 12 is amazing but let's wait till his team starts winning before we anoint him as the best center in the league, I won't argue that the dude is definitely on track to be that and his work ethic has been really good, he has been increasing his production and efficiency almost every year despite having a series of horrible coaches in Sacramento. But I still think it's too soon, he gets a lot of props on offense but the thing is offense on a center is overrated, you can have guards and forwards who can score along with the best big men. However elite defense is only something big men can provide, even the best perimeter defender duo ever in MJ and Pippen needed a big body inside and one of the best defenders ever in Rodman to dominate.

I'm not sure why you bring up my view on Derrick Favors, the guy was rawer coming into the league and had pretty much the same body and athletic mold as Dwight, obviously he would have more potential than Cousins who is not as athletic and came into the combine as the fattest draftee ever. There's a difference between having potential and actually reaching it, lots of guys have potential to be the best players in the league for example Rasheed Wallace had even more potential than Tim Duncan and could've become the GOAT PF if he had TD's maturity and work ethic with his ridiculous skillset of defense, post scoring and 3's, as we can see though he didn't maximize his potential at all.