1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

15th Anniversary of the Aggie Bonfire Collapse

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Bob Barker 007, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Bob Barker 007

On November 18th, 1999, the annual Aggie Bonfire collapsed. Being the 15th anniversary, I feel it is important for us to remember the day and week in which Texas A&M and Texas came together to honor the victims.

Here is a video of the UT Band playing Amazing Grace at halftime.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4rLj3vw5fwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also would like to reflect on the rivalry and hope y'all can share some stories as well. Although I am currently at UT, I have many relatives who went to Texas A&M. On the Friday after Thanksgiving, my cousins (Aggie fans/alums) would come over, and my family (UT fans/alums) and their family would watch the game together. After the game, we would play a game of football ourselves, Aggies vs. Longhorns. While the rivalry might be over now, I personally hope UT and A&M can make amends and play each other again.​

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I remember the horror when I got the word. I can believe it has been that long ago. Seems like yesterday.

3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

While UT and A&M may have the fiercest of rivalries on the field, we still have utmost respect for the contributions of the rival school. It is moments like this, putting aside the rivalry and coming together after such a terrible tragedy, that convince me that UT and A&M should still play each other.

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sad day... RIP to all the victims and God bless their families.

Did A&M continue this tradition after '99?

6. TheresTheDagger

Officially, the last school sponsored Bonfire was in 1998. Unofficially, there has been smaller off campus Bonfire's since.

But its just not the same.

I love and miss the rivalry. Aggies and Longhorns are neighbors and Texans first. Rivals 2nd. The way it should be.

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The University should bring Bonfire back...with supervision and blueprints from the College of Engineering. It can be done safely.