1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SinaRumor] Yao wants a 6-yr contract but Morey only gives 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mms, May 18, 2010.

1. mms

mms Member

The origin link is from sina. A CCTV anchorman leaked out that Yao plans to opt-out at 2010 and resigns with the Rox for a 6-yr deal but the management only wants to give him a 4-yr contract after 2010.

Any thought?

1 person likes this.
  2. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I personally doubt they're even negotiating yet. Yao is the type of player to be more worried about getting back on the floor than how long his next contract is.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I hope that's just a false rumor.

I'd be nervous to give Yao more than 2 years.

4. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

5. maarrrtiin

maarrrtiin Member

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm surprised that the Chinese comments on that article isn't incredible pro-Yao. Then again it's Sina, which generally garners more crap than espn boards.

What's surprising to me, if it's true, is that Morey is willing to give Yao 4 years. That's a pretty eye-popping number to me, and one that doesn't seem natural given Morey's general aversion to risk. So there has to be some business components to the plan. Because purely on a basketball level, it seems like an Elton Brand type of signing.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Unbelievable. :rolleyes: You people need to understand Chinese sources written by Chinese people are not to be trusted. Next thing they are gonna be telling us ex-Rocket Jellybean Bryant has been banging Kobe's mom. :rolleyes:

8. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

True or not, the offer make a lot of sense.

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I don't see any reason for Morey to want to lock up Yao right now. There's too much uncertainty in Yao's return and effectiveness. Morey is much to risk-conscious to give Yao a long term deal right now.

The only way I'd see this going down is if Yao's deal is highly incentivized with performance bonuses for games played, stats etc., and latter years will be non or partially guaranteed unless he hits benchmarks for games and minutes played.

10. ty185

ty185 Member

I think the keywords here is that the plan is "opts out then sigh a contract" rather than a "contract extension".

This most likely signifies Yao's willingness to sign a contract LOWER than max salary otherwise a straight contract extension would be much more safer to work out.

Although no cap room would be gained by Yao signing a smaller contract, this would surely help with rox's luxury tax situation and could potentially enable them to add more pieces with the increased resources, be it a big contract absorbtion or several more million dollars to buy second round picks every year.

If the above speculation is more or less correct, then I think Yao's demand for 6 years is definitely justified and should be honored. whatever he loses on his annual salary, he makes it up with some more security. Classical win-win situation for both parties here.

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

From a financial standpoint, keeping Yao would be the ideal option. The Yao effect is a lot more powerful than what most people think. His connections will draw stars over to houston.

12. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Lock it!

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well honestly I'm more concerned with the dollar amounts than the years. If Yao signs for 6M a year 6 years is fine with me. If he signs in the 8-10 mill range than 4 years is reasonable. If he's demanding for a max contract for 6 years I say DM show him the door.

14. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Can they work a front load contract with Yao? It's almost inevitable that he will decline as he gets older, and I wouldn't mind seeing Yao sign a 6 year, steadily decreasing contract.

15. Chamillionaire

i don't know a single player who isn't concerned about their money. as a matter of fact, everyone is concerned about how much they are getting. why should yao be any different?

i would be a little hesitant though on giving him a 6 year contract given his health issues.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

can you tell that's just speculation?

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

No way Yao plays 6 more seasons in the NBA with his health issues. The only way I can see him in season number 5-6 from now is if he's at 10-15 minutes per game.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao might opt out? How much extra money could that create us Bima?

Let us assume that Yao signs a relatively cheap deal compared to the one he is on now...

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

for the moment, IM gonna leave this open as a thread to speculate how many years we all think Yao deserves on his next contract. I will close it if too many people start taking this as gospel truth....or Clutch may decide he doesn't want it here period, Ill leave that call up to him.

that said, I would not, if I were Morey, give a man turning 30ish with a history of lower body problems a 6 yr contract. In the NBA that is a awful long time.

20. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

I hope Yao does opt out and sign a lower/cheaper contract, for the sake of the team......