1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you do differently?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stevel, Nov 30, 2004.

1. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I am getting tired of all the pissing and moaning about JVG and his "system" I want to hear the specific changes that some of the B-ball geniuses on this board would make that would improve this group of players.

I am on record as saying our problem is due more to the players than the coach. I think we need to make some player moves to improve rebounding, shooting, and ball hanlding (although Sura may help with this quite abit).

If you disagree and think it is coaching, how would you fix this team?

2. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I don't think its the coaching per se. In fact, JVG got a lot out of that team last year and I was impressed with his style then and am now.

I think JVG has answered his own delima in the media. He is the one who said the players on this team are too accusomed to losing. Well... Tmac went to the playoffs 2 years ago, Lue won a ring with the Lakers. Yao and Mo T went to the playoffs last season and had a winning record the year before.

Ward played in the Finals

Jim Jackson played in the Conference Finals

Padgett played on a well coached, Utah teams

I guess that leaves one person (this one's for your TINMAN)

[​IMG]

I think that Mr. Howard needs to go and we need a banger inside - so, in answer to your question, Mr. JVG needs to coach those big men to

1) rebound better
    2) get to that spot on the high post so they can feed Yao down low when he is fronted and the guards can't make the entry pass (Cato used to do that a lot last year)
    3) rebound
    4) help out with D on the penetration so Yao won't have to slide over and get into foul trouble (and thus be taked out of the game mentally) Cato used to get all those fouls last year so Yao wouldn't

5) and they need to rebound more

JVG also needs to let Sura bring the ball up OR if Tmac is bringing the ball up, he needs to sit his Point Garbages (Lue and Ward) and go with JJ, Tac and Boki in the backcourt.

oh yeah.,.. and he needs to play the PFs that will get REBOUNDS

3. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

If we keep the same players and don't make a trade... this is what I would do (fundamentals... fundamentals):

<b>On Using Yao</b>
    1. No more using Yao in the high pick and roll. Pointless play that takes him too far away from basket. He is not quick enough to be effective in that play... and if he gets the ball off of the cut after the pick... his handle on the ball is... well... terrible.

2. I would use Yao often at the elbow in a high post position. This keeps defenders from fronting him and denying him the ball.

3. The player who feeds Yao the ball in the high or low post needs to cut to the basket always... this keeps him from being doubled from the ballside defense. If they do double from the ballside... he should (repeat... should) be able to hit the cutter for an easy layup.

If the double team comes from the weakside... Yao must learn to immediately rotate the ball to the weakside and then crash down to the (new) ballside block. If the ball is shot... he is in rebounding position... or it can be pounded down to him in the low post.

4. Also... I would hook a shock collar on Yao and shock the hell out of him each and everytime he puts the ball on the floor.

5. The focus of the offense should be to put Yao in a position to utilize his strengths... midrange jumper and 1 - 3 feet from the basket. He should never been in the position where he has to create his own shot... ever... ever... ever. Pivot and shoot. Cut and flash. Ball never hits the floor.

<b>On Using TMac</b>
    1. Put him in a position where he can attack the rim. That means you have to clear Yao and the PF out of the lane (hence putting Yao on the highpost).

2. Set up screens where TMac and feast on the midrange jumper... that is how is lead the league in scoring the last two years.

3. Keep Tmac moving... cutting... flashing. When he stands without moving he is an overpaid Matt Bullard without the shot from beyond the arc.

4. stevel

This is what I was looking for, intelligent basketball conversation. Both you guys make excellent points.

5. stevel

I find it funny that everyone wants us to run more when we are a terrible rebounding team. Tough to make an outlet pass when you don't have the ball. T-mac has said earlier that Sura will help his game tremendously because Sura can penetrate (as we saw in the first game) and draw attention then kick it out to T-mac. I think T-mac played very well in the playmaker roll, but others did not knock down the open shots. I would rather have a PG kicking the ball out to T-mac.

We have to find a 4 that can rebound and knock down open shots. Cato's problem last year was he was such a poor shooter that his guy would double down on Yao. We need help rebounding though.

Dconover -excellent post. I love the line about the shock collar. I would also use the collar every time he leaves his feet when stepping in front of a guy driving to the basket. Either step over, stay on your feet and draw a charge, or get up and block a shot with out letting the offensive player get into your body.

#5 stevel, Nov 30, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

btw - stevel - I appriciate that you started a thread that promoted intellegent basketball conversation.

dc, I like your points, but I wanted to make a couple of comments

<b>On Using Yao</b>
    1. No more using Yao in the high pick and roll. Pointless play that takes him too far away from basket. He is not quick enough to be effective in that play... and if he gets the ball off of the cut after the pick... his handle on the ball is... well... terrible.

- Yao (unfortunately) is the best screener we have - and he can hit a 15 foot jump shot (a la Karl Malone). Why to Spoon, Mo T and Howard get to shoot jump shots... let Yao draw his man out by draining some 15 footers on the pick-n-roll (the way Camby drew him out of the lane). Make those PFs go rebound. This would also free open the lane for Tmac or Sura to drive (for the layup or dish-out)

If the double team comes from the weakside... Yao must learn to immediately rotate the ball to the weakside and then crash down to the (new) ballside block. If the ball is shot... he is in rebounding position... or it can be pounded down to him in the low post.

I think that the weakside shooter needs to be rotated a little more toward the top of the key (otherwise Yao is passing it behind himself when he is in the post)

4. Also... I would hook a shock collar on Yao and shock the hell out of him each and everytime he puts the ball on the floor.

OUCH !

<b>On Using TMac</b>
    1. Put him in a position where he can attack the rim. That means you have to clear Yao and the PF out of the lane (hence putting Yao on the highpost).

AMEN !!!

2. Set up screens where TMac and feast on the midrange jumper... that is how is lead the league in scoring the last two years.

that goes to Yao setting screens and taking the 15 footer

3. Keep Tmac moving... cutting... flashing. When he stands without moving he is an overpaid Matt Bullard without the shot from beyond the arc.

Hopfully Sura handling the ball will help (Tmac should NOT be bringing the ball up)

7. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Yao needs some training from the Texans running back coach on how to hold and protect the ball. He also really, really needs to use his elbows to protect the ball and hammer a few pesky guards about in the middle of the forehead and then all of the others will think twice before coming after the ball when Yao rebounds. (this would happen as part of his natural "swing" for a 7'6" guy being attacked by someone a foot shorter). But Yao has to overcome his natural inclination to be non-violent and his resistance to joining the WWF.

Maybe Karl Malone could be hired on a consulting basis to teach Yao the finer points.

And Karl and Boki could catch up over lunch. :D

8. rocket3forlife2

I agree with both if these,we need more cutting from all of our players,I saw a play when sura pass the ball to jim jackson and then cut to the basket ,jj didnt even look at him.we need to fine a way to get some easy points.I think every time someone has a block or a steal maybe they should be rewarded by the coach(worked for the mavs).

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amen Willis! We need better ball handlers! Let Tmac do what he does best, score points.
    [​IMG]

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What would you do differently?

Two chicks at the same time.

DD

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Q: What would you do differently?

A: Not hire JVG in the first place.

12. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

There goes the intellegent basketball conversation. Only took nine post.

Willis25... I agree with you but I was making reference that they use Yao at or outside the arc to run the high pick and roll instead of at the elbow. If they ran it at the elbow or free throw line extended... I would say run that play all day.

13. New Jack

New Jack Member

I would do pretty much the opposite of everything they're doing now.

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

just pay for it Dak, just tell the Mrs it's research for a new game where troopers get suckered into a Menage รก trois and then killed or have their kidneys removed and left in a bath of ice with a message in lipstick on a mirrow

15. porsche911

porsche911 Member

I would trade everyone except Yao and Tmac... and fire JVG!

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Based on tonight game? I'll definitely have more than 65 shots, that's 16 fewer than Pistons' 81. I guess 19 TOs (vs 8 by Pistons) did just that.

17. DaDakota

I would surround Yao and Tmac with players that compliment their games, right now JJ is the only starter who does.

Maybe Sura if he starts, but the most glaring need is we DESPERATLY need a PF that can rebound and back up Yao.

We need Troy Murphy...STAT !!

DD

18. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

CD must be the teflon GM.

Rudy was responsible for not making the playoffs.
    Rudy and the scouts were responsible for the bad drafts.
    Rudy was responsible for the bad contracts and salary cap nightmare.
    JVG is responsible for the offensive struggles.
    JVG is responsible for terrible rebounding.
    JVG is responsible for the erractic guard play.

"The Trade" is responsible for lack of depth and suppporting role players.

CD is just a nice man who is not responsible for anything.

If CD worked at Enron, he would be tried for malfeasence - or at the very least, gross negligence.

19. DaDakota

Hey, aren't you a college professor? Only took nine postS

Come on man...no wonder our youth's edumacation is slipping.

DD

20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

1) Put Yao in the high post so he can pass.
    2) Demand early offense and fast break offense.
    3) Start Sura, and put in Barrett with no restrictions whatsoever.
    4) Demand that the PG's push every possession into the paint before considering stopping their dribble. Stop stopping the dribble in general.
    5) Stop wasting time by posting up on one side of the basket and then posting up on the other side of the basket on every play. Just set up where you want it.
    6) No one walks up court. Push it every time, and then back off into a half-court set if nothing is there.
    7) Put in anyone at PF that can rebound. Trade for Murphy sounds good. Just platoon them, I don't care about consistency. Play Weatherspoon, Padgett, Howard, anyone. Sign Braggs. Sign anyone who can breathe. Start whoever looks like they would be the best matchup on any given night.
    8) Give McGrady the green light. He is awesome, there isn't a reason in the world that he shouldn't be tearing defenders up.
    9) Revamp the half-court sets until the turnovers go down.