1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 80s, 90s, 00s NON MVPs Draft

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by LCAhmed, Jul 7, 2016.

1. VBG

VBG Member

Will do rest later

FTW vs Donatas

Ah, the Pau + Dwight combo that was supposed to dominate the NBA. I do like the potential of a Dwight + Stockton PnR with Pau on the other elbow and Glen Rice/Peja spotting up. Donatas' team on the other hand is a bruising team. A very slow it down, grind it out type team. I could see them struggling to score a little. I think FTW's shooting and spacing take the cake. Dwight is one of the only centers who can handle Prime Patrick Ewing who's available in this draft.

Horry vs kevC

I like Melo on these type of super teams. He seems to thrive as a pure scorer. I do think Melo + Gervin starting is very redundant and going to hurt defensively. Furthermore, Kidd's value isn't great as an off ball guard (in his prime). I like Kevc's flow a little better. Even ISO Joe Johnson can be a valuable spot up shooter. Also the passing on the team with the big men is great. However, I do see Horry's team absolutely dominating the glass which tips it in his favor.

Fallen vs Jamers
    Weak benches on both sides so going to focus on starters. I don't love Rik Smits or any of the backup bigs because this team should be a fast up and down team. But going Jamers. I think I would probably start Odom. That would be interesting. I think the interior is a little too fast for Fallen. Apart from Sampson, it's not very mobile either.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Horry vs kevC

Winner: Horry

I like Horry's mixture of scoring, playmaking and defense. He has an ideal PG to feed the likes of Melo and Gervin and he has some bruisers at PF with Rodman / Martin for rebounding and put backs.

kevC has a better team offensively without a doubt but I just do not see much defense in that team. I just think Horry's edges this on the strength of his D.

Fallen vs Jamers

Winner: Jamers

Jamers takes this. IMO Jamers wins every starter match up besides the C where Ralph has Smits beaten and his back court and wing combo of KJ, Mullin and Pippen is a good mesh that will be too much for Fallen to handle. Benches are a wash but even here I feel Jamers has a very slight edge.

JMC vs don grahamleone

Winner: JMC

I think JMC has one of the better 1-2-3 wing punches in this draft. Don g has the better starter big men but ultimately JMC's backcourt and bench strength will be too much for the don to handle.

Von Rafer vs RedN

Winner: RedN

This will be a blow out 4-0 in a best of 7 series. Tougher tasks lie ahead for RedN. Team shouldn't get complacent.

======================================

Will vote on others soon.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That's my picks and I'm sticking to it. Congrats to the winning brehs and my condolences to the fallen brehs, no phoenix puns intended. (fallenphoenix and ftw, your teams were easily the toughest decisions)

#1123 don grahamleone, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  4. thething

thething Contributing Member

First matchup: Donatas--I think it is proven that Dwight and Pau don't mix well. But other than that Donatas has a tough physical team and the presence of Dantley off the bench makes the difference for me.

5. VBG

VBG Member

Hey, just curious but since when are Penny and T-Mac not elite passers? Also, both Penny and T-Mac did play with big men who did kind of well with them. And who the hell is stopping T-Mac in his prime on that team?

The dynamic ability to get points? WTF?

6. thething

I think T-Mac and King will just have a deal before the game saying I won't guard you if you don't guard me. Two 30+ scorers. Both would probably score all day against each other--Tmac has better playmaking I guess though. I wouldn't call either him or Penny an elite passer, though, when we have guys like John Stockton in this draft to compare to. Both good, though.

Truth be told nobody is stopping Dwyane Wade either, not even Moncrief. He was unstoppable in the 06 finals. That's why it's hard to judge these superteams.

7. thething

Horry vs kevC

Horry

PG: Jason Kidd/Stephon Marbury
    SG: George Gervin/Bruce Bowen
    SF: Carmelo Anthony/Robert Horry
    PF: Dennis Rodman/Kenyon Martin
    C: Jack Sikma/Derrick Coleman

vs

kevC

Tony Parker/Sam Cassell
    Vince Carter/Hersey Hawkins/Brent Barry
    Joe Johnson/Toni Kukoc/Brent Barry
    Chris Bosh/Horace Grant/Toni Kukoc
    Arvydas Sabonis/Horace Grant/Chris Bosh

This one is a tossup to me. I really don't like Horry's bench. Coleman is his best bench player. But kevC's team seems a little soft and Horry has Gervin and Melo as two megascorers compared to kevC who only really has Carter. Though all of the starters can score except Rodman.

So I'm going with Horry.

8. VBG

VBG Member

Yeah, but Moncrief is basically the best defensive guard in this draft. T-Mac is a much better defender than King and is much better offensively. T-Mac's 2002-03 season is better than anything Kobe has ever done. I thought my teams weakness was big burly frontcourts. That's why I'm surprised.

Hmm... Fair about Penny not being an elite passer for a PG. Just surprised about the way my team was being characterized.

9. don grahamleone

It certainly wasn't meant to be offensive. Penny and TMac are great at iso ball. They probe around the outside, get to the middle and either score or make the pass (usually a spectacular lob pass that makes everyone go nuts), but that's not dynamic to me. I meant, can you play triangle, motion, post, flex (which they both ran quite well), PnR?

In other words, if flex isn't working, what do you go to? I feel like they both went to more flex in their primes because they were superior athletes. Maybe I didn't do your team enough justice, but I did try to be fair about what I thought. I hope it wasn't taken as a slight because the players you picked were great, I was thinking about how these guys would come together as a team.

10. VBG

VBG Member

Both Penny and T-Mac operate a lot out of the mid post because of their height advantage over defenders. T-Mac was a great pick and roll player. He would kill it in this era with his court vision, height combo. If you watch T-Mac in Orlando, it was a lot of coming of screens and getting the ball in the midpost. Here with Kiki and Bernard King guarding him, I thought he would have a huge advantage.

I always thought Dwight + T-Mac would have been better than Yao + T-Mac for that reason.

Like Wade is the exact same type of player IMO. Wade is definitely a better off ball cutter though. Maybe the best off ball guard cutter I've seen.

I guess maybe I simplified it too much. I thought T-Mac has pretty much no one who has much hope guarding him on the other team while I have maybe the best person to guard Wade.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm going to wait for everyone to vote, and just vote for the people that voted for me.

12. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Wade would guard tmac I'd assume

13. VBG

VBG Member

5 inches height difference is pretty huge. Plus, extremely draining for Wade. Then you have Kiki on Moncrief which isn't great either. I guess you put Wade at the 3 and Hornacek or King in. Ehhh, whatever. Obviously, I'm gonna rep my team.

Need to stop getting distracted from this report. Ugh.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Well played, Jamers. Good luck going forward.

15. Spooner

Spooner Member

No!! Where is the vindictive name calling? This has all gone to **** without me. :mad:

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

What's the score count so far?

I really like the MerGady-Penny combo. 2 Iso players that can also play the passing lanes and dish. They'll both probably take over the game on the offense end, while MerGady is not slouch on D.

17. don grahamleone

TMac played good D when it counted for sure. Also, his versatility on defense works for any type of switching. However, double iso players reminds me of the Cat/Franchise days.

18. Jamers

Jamers Member

thanks bruh. they keep telling us we have a weak bench but when i look at their bench, smh..

they didnt skip me in round one doe

will vote later tonight

19. VBG

VBG Member

JMC vs don grahamleone
    Don's team majorly lacks defense outside of Mutombo. JMC at least has two perimeter defenders who can make life difficult.

Von Rafer vs RedN

oelman vs Jontro
    Oelman's team is probably going to zip up and down the court. I see Larry Johnson playing a lot because I don't think Z-Bo can really handle Prime Amare. I see Jontro's team trying to wear down Oelman and his superior depth just eeks out a win. Russell Westbrook is a disasterous PG in this IMO.

LCA vs Tizzle

Two of the strongest teams out there. Hardest pick IMO. Both teams have fantastic spacing on offense and very solid defense. I do see Pierce going off as there isn't really a perimeter stopper to challenge him. You're asking a lot of Manu to be the main defensive stopper. Hmmm not sure yet

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Sorry! :) Too much chucking on that bench. LaMarcus would be great but he's young here.

I think I would've drafted Cooper at some point.

fallen's bench has more players that I like, but they seem a bit random. They don't seem to fix holes in the starting unit, if you know what i mean. I'd want more shooters there, more perimeter players, someone who can defend SFs, more defense from big men.