1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com Video] Terrence Williams Awaiting His Moment

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Jan 8, 2011.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

"So to the people who don’t know you it’s like, who is that No. 1? Is that Tracy McGrady? No. Is that Trevor Ariza? No. Well what can he do?"

3. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I don't care if its programed or scripted, I like this guy. Even if he only understands half of what he says he's certainly on the right path to be something special.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is too wild right now, forces the action, needs to let the game come to him.

He does put it up though...11 shots yesterday in limited minutes.

DD

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That was a nice article. Lots of good quotes in there.

[rquoter]

“I feel like, when out there, you need to take your time and play basketball,” he says. “But at the same time, in your head you’re like, ‘I have to do something,’ because you’re not Shane Battier – everybody knows what he can do. Everybody knows Chase can shoot the ball and Kevin (Martin) can score. So to the people who don’t know you it’s like, who is that No. 1? Is that Tracy McGrady? No. Is that Trevor Ariza? No. Well what can he do?

“You’re trying to do something to show your skills, so maybe you try to jump higher on a rebound so that they’ll say, oh, he’s athletic; you make a good pass – oh, he can pass the ball. But at the same time you don’t want to force it where you go out there and instead of getting three assists you get three turnovers. So you have to be mature about it and just take what’s open.”

What Williams is referring to is the comfort level that comes with a clearly defined role and consistent playing time – both of which are to be earned, not given. But with the treasure trove of gifts he possesses both physically and from a skill standpoint, it’s a safe bet to assume his opportunity will come sooner rather than later because, quite frankly, Williams has the potential – there’s that word again – to give the Rockets something nobody else on the roster currently can.

“He’s a unique character for this team because he’s one of the few guys who can create off the dribble,” Respert says. “A lot of guys can create using one or two dribbles, but he has the ability to continue with three or four dribbles to get deeper penetration into the lane and really get at the rim, not just into the paint. You can tell with Terrence he has the vision of a great passer. He finds those passes and he gets them to shooters before the defense can react and that’s the mark of a guy who I think is really going to be helpful.

“I think the biggest thing with him is he has the ability to defend. He has all the tools that are needed to be a great defender in this league. Now can he somehow obtain the IQ of learning how to defend against some of the best scorers in this league? Can he use his physical tools to overpower some of the things that a lot of great scorers are going to use against him because he is so aggressive? Can he be a little bit more disciplined and stay within the realm of our defensive scheme?” [/rquoter]

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It's hard to judge what this guy can do after seeing him play a few minutes in a few games. He does look athletic, but that's all I can tell at this point. I wish I could have seen him play in those D-league games where he averaged a triple double over three games. I suspect that if the Rockets fall out of the playoff picture, we will see Williams play some extended minutes. He still seems best suited to play shooting guard. It seems as if since we have Brooks, Lee, and Williams who can all play shooting guard, then that might make Martin expendable. Interesting.....

7. MikeMania

MikeMania Member

Is it just the angle or does Respert have huge nostrils.

8. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

LMAO. Both. :grin:

9. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

not sure if this was already posted in another tread but here is another aritcle about him, beware it is from hoopsworld.

As Terrence Williams pulled his Houston Rockets jersey over his head, a smile became visible. These days, he's smiling a lot and understandably so. A little over a month ago, Williams was wearing a very different red and white jersey and he wasn't happy about it.

During his final weeks with the New Jersey Nets, the guard was suiting up for the Springfield Armor of the NBA Development League. During his stint in the D-League, finding Williams with a smile across his face was quite the challenge. Looking back on the experience, Williams still can't believe what happened.

"It didn't really start to sink in until I was driving to Springfield which was three hours away from house in New Jersey. But it didn't completely sink in until I was talking with my mom and she just started crying. That's when it really sunk in that I was going to the D-League. It was really crazy to me. I was coming back from being injured and coming back from being suspended for two games then I get told I'm going to the D-League. It was like I couldn't do anything to win," Williams told HOOPSWORLD.

After drafting Williams with the eleventh pick in the 2009 NBA Draft, the Nets were fed up with his tardiness to practices and shootarounds. While Williams admits that was unprofessional, he still doesn't agree with how the Nets handled the situation.

"The situation was tough," Williams said. "The people that weren't in the situation, the ones on the outside looking in, took the situation for something that it wasn't. You can't send a player to the D-League for discipline. I'm a man, I owned up to my mistakes for being late, and I get sent to the D-League for discipline? It wasn't for developing or learning to play basketball. I know how to play basketball and that's evident based on what I did down there."

In three games with the Armor, Williams was the best player on the floor and averaged a jaw-dropping 28.0 points, 11.3 rebounds, and 10.7 assists. The twenty-three year old still possessed the talent that made him a lottery pick and the potential to be a great player in this league.

Enter the Houston Rockets. The team has always liked Williams' game and expressed interest in him during the 2009 Pre-Draft Combine. Houston was unable to trade up for Williams on draft night and ultimately selected Jermaine Taylor with the thirty-second overall pick.

Eighteen months later, the Rockets were able to acquire Williams in a three-team deal that sent a lottery-protected 2012 first-round pick to New Jersey and ended up moving Taylor to Sacramento in order to create a roster spot. The timing of the change couldn't have been better for Williams.

"I think the Rockets came through at a perfect time in my life and my career. I guess you could say that they saved me basketball wise. It was just a good situation for me. I always liked the Rockets organization. When I came out for the draft, I had meetings with them in Chicago. It's just been good," Williams said.

The change of scenery excited Williams, but he was also looking forward to reuniting with two of his closest friends in the league. Williams grew up with Aaron Brooks in Seattle and the two have been friends since childhood. He also has a great relationship with Courtney Lee, who was acquired by the Rockets over the summer, after spending one season with him in New Jersey.

"I've known Aaron since I was, like, five years old," Williams said with laugh. "Aaron's dad coached me when I played football. Aaron was older so he was on the older team, but his dad coached me when I was younger on the football field. It's good to have him here because I've known him since I was little and we played for the same team once. I can ask anything of him and ask for advice. It's definitely great, also having Courtney here too. I played last year with Courtney in New Jersey so it's definitely good having them here."

This support system, coupled with his experiences in New Jersey, has helped him learn from his mistakes and adjust in Houston.

"The transition has been easy," Williams said. "It's a whole new team and a whole new situation, but it's definitely good for me."

So good for him, in fact, that Williams can see himself remaining with the Rockets for the rest of his career. After this seasonhe'll become a restricted free agent. But Williams has been so impressed with the organization that he can envision himself retiring in Houston.

"I hope so, I definitely hope so. My condo still isn't done from moving in. I have like twenty boxes of shoes left that I have to unpack and someone is helping me with all of that, but I don't want to go through all of that again," Williams said with a laugh. "I think the organization is just great as a whole and I definitely would love to be here ten, eleven, twelve years, or whatever the case may be."

Terrence Williams couldn't be happier in Houston, and he intends to keep smiling for years to come.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18438#ixzz1AkjcpAV1

10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Like how he mentions Courtney as like a side note.

"I love brooks man, damn I love brooks. Me and him are tight... Oh ****, also uhh Courtney is cool too."

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

I could be wrong, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think I found Osama bin Laden.