1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what is it with alcohol?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr. Brightside, Nov 6, 2005.

Tags:
?

Why do you drink?

1. I drink to get drunk!

86 vote(s)
    71.7%
  2. I drink because I like the taste of alcohol!

34 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Ok, so having witnessed another night of people drinking and getting drunk, I had this conversation with a group of friends later.

Basically one said that people drink to get "messed up" or drunk basically.

Another said people drink because "they like the taste"

So what is it you alcohol drinkers? Do you drink to get drunk or because you like the taste of the alcohol?

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I don't drink, partly because I don't think I would enjoy it and partly because every single drop of alcholol, no matter how watered down or diluted with fruit juice or cola or whatever, has tasted absolutely terrible. So from my vantage point, I don't see how anyone could drink just for the taste.

3. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

If I drink, its to get a buzz, get drunk, become more social and have more fun. And to me thats really dumb if I think about it.

But I do not like the taste at all. And I don't like feeling bloated after drinking beer. I really don't drink anymore, nothing good usually happens when I do.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

I stop drinking hard liquor several years ago.

I started drinking beer for the effects, but later on, found out I like the taste. I think beer is definitely an acquired taste. Nowadays, Ill have a beer just to have a beer. I haven't actually been drunk of even tips really in about 3 or 4 years.

5. Christopher

Christopher Member

I would have classed myself as a non drinker untill about two years ago.

I think its different from person to person.

Some people drink because they want to relax.

Others drink because they feel more socially acceptable if they do. Kind of like peer pressure I guess.

Others do it as a p*ssing contest.....let see who can get the most drunk.

I guess others still drink because they like the taste.

I hardly ever drink and have no problem being a non drinker in a room of drinkers.

Someone though....I could kill a beer. :D

When I want to relax a bit....whiskey. :cool:

6. mishii

mishii Contributing Member

Maybe it is just me (or the early hour in the US for those drinkers out there), but I actually really like the taste of some alcoholic drinks. My favorites are a good beer (stronger the better), red wine, Japanese sake, and any good whiskey (usually like single malts). I actually prefer all of those above cocktails and mixed drinks (i.e., drink whiskey neat/straight-up usually with no chaser). However, I can see how it is an acquired taste for all alcoholic drinks. While I do get buzzed (sometimes quite quickly), I actually do drink these drinks just for the taste, or I should say as much if not more so for the taste than for the social/want to get relaxed (not necessarily buzzed) factor. I really don't like the taste of vodka, so I wouldn't order a vodka drink on my own.

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

You should have had a 3rd choice: I don't drink ever.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I usually drink to relax a little and unwind. I do like the taste of the things I drink (usually gin, vodka, or beer), but thats not my primary reason for having a drink.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't drink to get wasted anymore. I did in college (man, that's an understatement) but getting wasted and making a fool of myself isn't real high on my priority list anymore. Now days, if I feel myself starting to lose an ounce of control, I just stop.

I like the taste of certain beers. I have some frosty mugs I keep in my freezer. Nothing like a good Heineken in a frosty mug with a meal.

I drink to feel relaxed. I can be pretty shy in some social situations and a few drinks tend to losen me up and help me be more outgoing. I also like to have a few drinks if I'm playing. Helps me to relax and therefore play better.

10. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I dont drink alot anymore, but I will have a cold one every now and then.

11. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

I don't anymore. Had a scare with it last year.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Alchohol is a social lubricant; it reduces inhibitions and allows one to expand ones behavior beyond their everyday personna. You are more confident (or more of an *******), things are funnier (or sadder), you are more carefree (or suicidal). If you don't have alchoholic tendencies or depression it can be a life enhancing experience when used responsibly.

No driving though!

14. Fatty FatBastard

What, exactly, would you like to know?

I've been known to down a couple or twenty from time to time.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i like beer!

i can't stand a crying drunk though. nothing kills the party faster.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Thanks for realizing that... :)

I had a couple of wine coolers at a Renaissance Festival when I was 18. I've never drank alcohol since then. Even with those 2 wine coolers, it was on a bet that they wouldn't card me (which of course they didn't).

I don't know how people drink beer - that is some vile, nasty stuff. I don't mind people drinking alcohol, but I actually hate being around people that are drunk.

17. codell

codell Contributing Member

Like I said earlier, beer is definitely an acquired taste. I'd be shocked if the majority of beer drinkers out there liked the taste the first time they had it.

I have no problem having 1 single beer with a nice steak. They just go together.

18. Isabel

Isabel Member

Add me to the list of non-drinkers. I don't need it. I don't miss it. I can be myself and act crazy just fine without it. :)

19. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

-TASTE-

I'll have a beer/wine with dinner some times, but not to drink just for fun or to get drunk.. to me there is NOTHING fun about being drunk.. Well they do make for good BBS posts..

20. Isabel

Isabel Member

I do admit to looking forward, on boring Friday or Saturday nights, to when all the posters come home from the parties and bars and post strange alcohol-fueled things at 2 in the morning. That's kind of fun. :D