1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons on Colbert Report

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Freik, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I'm sure it was a rerun cause it was the 10:30 show last night. But they had ESPN writer Bill Simmons on there. Steve asked something about the USA games and he brought up the fact that USAs teams usually play down the olymipics and WC's and they really dont want to be there whereas everyone else is going there to prove something.

He also mentioned the fact that teams like Greece have probably been playing together for 20 years and all grew up together. And the USA team gets thrown together 2 weeks b4 the games start.

He then went into how no one, specifically from the greek team would ever make it in the NBA ever. Im assuming he meant make it as being a star, but he didnt even mention the fact that V-Span was being or has been signed by the Rockets.

I would assume that the show ran after the WC's so it was very common knowledge that V-Span was coming to the rockets. Does he have something against V-Span?

I dont know how well he will do in the NBA, im hoping he does well, I really like his style of play and its what we need. Only time will tell, but im going to be optimistic after last season. But to say that no one from a specific coutry will never make it in the NBA is a little harsh.

Did anyone else catch the show?

#1 Freik, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Didn't see the show but any generalization like that is silly. He's entitled to his opinion and he's entitled to be wrong. If he said success in international ball doesn't necessarily mean success in the NBA then he's right. Look at Carlos Arroyo.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it is the colbert report...not really the forum for serious discussions and in depth well thought out arguments

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well speak of the devil. I just happened to be watching that episode on youtube, and that segment is included in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMNA9Lguknc

As for Bill Simmons not knowing anything about V-Span, it's not news to anyone outside of rocket fans. Nobody is going to know these foreign 2nd rounders that spend a few years in Europe, until they actually start playing in the NBA.

Besides, in Bill Simmons' own words, he's "an idiot". Considering how the NBA rules totally play to the strengths of V-span, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he has a lot of success in the league. I mean this isn't a case of a Carlos Arroyo, whose ability to pull-up from behind a shorter 3 pt line is a major factor for how well he plays in international competition.

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Kill Bill was a 2nd rounder a couple years ago and isn't even a starter on the Greek team. It isn't exactly a high-profile transaction. I'm not mad at Simmons for missing that.

That said, you like to think that professional sports writers make some effort to learn their subject matter. But if you did think that, you'd be wrong.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Is it really common knowledge that Vspan is coming? We should ask KellyDwyer how many guys at SI who aren't covering specifically basketball have even heard of him.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

and bill simmons isn't a serious sports analyst. he is guy who writes funny columns centered around sports.

8. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Well, with all the hatred Simmons has for Houston, you'd think he would have said something more abrasive, like VSpan is teh sUx0rz!

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

bill simmons is funny but his evaluation of talent is probably lower than half of this board, which says a lot. his opinion on v-span or any of the greeks doesn't mean a thing.

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

What happens when my favorite sports writer and favorite TV Pundit get together and stop being polite and start getting real?

First of all, don't worry about the slight; think about the audience he's addressing. I'm willing to bet that most people who don't follow basketball, which is most of the country, by the way, hasn't ever heard of the #1 pick this year, Andrea Bargnani, much less the #50 pick from the 2004 draft.

Besides, even if Bill believes that Vassilis will be a star, it sure sounds more dramatic if the mighty USA lost to a bunch of nobodies (he was also probably trying to set up Colbert for a pro-USA joke there, an assist that Colbert fumbled worse than Adonal Foyle trying to catch a post feed).

Bill also said what the crowd expected when he said that the Red Sox losing is part of their identity; if you've ever read his book (which I got signed and erected a permanent place for it on my shelf), he makes it very clear that Red Sox fans hate being called cursed; he fathoms himself and every Red Sox fan eternally hopeful.

Simmons was playing the crowd the whole way, so there's no need to bring out the vitriolic insults about his writing talent or bias against the Rockets, or whatever. Just appreciate what I thought was a pretty good interview.

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I'm as big a fan of Simmons as anybody (Except when it comes to the Patriots. His disgustingly authoritative tone, and whiny excuse-making attitude has turned me off an entire NFL franchise. Congrats Bill.), and there's no doubt in my mind that he was being genuine.

He's made it plainly clear that the city's fans DO play up a miserable, "everything sucks" attitude, evidenced most strongly by their sports radio and local sports writing. And while he's dismissed that there is in fact a curse, I don't think he's ever come off the stance that the city is built for misery, and that it's the default setting of the fan following, especially those following the BoSox.

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Bill Simmons has been on the Adam Carolla show a couple times. That might best describe him, what Adam Carolla used to be on the Lovelines show next to the expert Dr. Drew is what Bill Simmons is to sportswriting.

Not a big deal overlooking Spanoulis really. Thats good, let him sneak in the productivity without them paying attention.

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I saw this last night as well. Simmons seemed like a pretty cool guy during the interview, but I admit I did get a bit of fire in my belly when he made the comment about none of the Greek players being able to play in the NBA.

Kinda makes you wonder if he even watched the game, because the commentators said numerous times that VSpan was a Houston Rocket. As a sportswriter who wants to comment on the USA's success/failure, I expect him to at least watch the game on re-run or something.

However, it's nice that he's not being hyped. Foreign players get held to such high standards these days that if people knew he was coming he'd never fulfill expectations.

#13 ClutchCityReturns, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

THe Clippers have the rights to that baby shaq guy on the greek team.

15. munco

munco Member

it'd be a lot stranger if he said V-Span will be a star than what he said.
    i mean Arroyo and Jasikevicius have had success against the US, but have not been stars in the NBA. I'm reserving judgement til V-Span suits up for us until then I hope he does well but I'm not expecting the guy to be a star. I'll wait and then assess.