1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rookie Watch: Which veterans should the rookie class study?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt78777, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=RookieStudy-Durant

Here are David Thorpe's words on who Scola and Landry should study:

On Scola

On Landry

I would post pictures but I'm at work so I can't. Lock if this is already in another thread.

#1 Matt78777, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. GAY4WHO???

GAY4WHO??? Member

3. Matt78777

I thought the Murphy Scola thing was kinda weird, and at this point I'd settle for Scola making consistent midrange jumpers like he was earlier. Thorpe has a good point on Landry though. He seems to have all the tools to be a big time player, but can he be a go to guy? It's nice when he hustles and gets those put backs and takes a T-Mac pass and dunks the hell out of it, but could he be good enough that Adelman could give him the ball and say, "Here you go, I need you to score right now"? That to me would be the difference between Landry's ceiling being a borderline starter for a good team or a star on a good team. A little bit of offseason time on the practice court might be the difference.

Any idea on who Aaron Brooks should study?

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

i would've thought Landry should study someone like Antonio McDyess (pre-knee injury) to see a player to style himself on.

Similar build/ athleticism, be good for him to see how he could really become a 'presence'!

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

why doesn't Landry study Scola's craftiness and Scola study how Landry gained 4.5 inches vertical . Then we'd have two crafty dunkers.

6. Matt78777

I should have included Thorpe's intro and explanation behind the picks. I just added it. He didn't necessarily pick the veteran most like the particular rookie, but rather a veteran who, if the rookie can emulate in a certain way, will elevate his game to the next level. For example, he wants Durant to get Allen Iverson's "I'm going to win this game by myself" fire, but not necessarily his style of play. I think he also only matched rookies with current veterans who are at their peak this year (so Mcdyess pre knee injury doesn't count).

7. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

ehhh..HOW about FREETHROW shooting first.... :D

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Scola = should study little of Tom Chambers and little of Wes Unseld and even a little Rony Seikaly.

Landry = should study Amare Stoudimire & Shawn Kemp (offense): Anthony Mason (defense)

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Me thinks Senior T-Mac should put that on his to do list.

10. Matt78777

How about this one:

Aaron Brooks should study Chris Paul. Aaron can match him on speed, and he does well going to the basket with a pick. If he could consistently hit mid range jumpers off picks like Paul or throw that nifty little bounce pass to the screener for a screen and roll, he'd be lethal, like Paul.

11. ibm

ibm Member

i don't quite get it. being able to shooting 3's? isn't it good for any power forward or even guards?

imho, you can't teach athleticism. to expect scola increse his hops just isn't realistic. landry's gain of vertical to me is more like he gets back what he used to have. i'd like see him perfect that mid-range jumper.

for landry, it's the handle and creating his own shots. a tall order for anyone who hasn't yet been able to do that.

12. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

While he's at it, how about:

Yao: (yes I know he's not exactly a rookie)
    Imitate your game after Hakeem. Easy enough.

Tracy:
    Just copy Magic Johnson. Easy enough, also.

Landry:
    All he's missing are some handles and more consistent shooting. He should be like Carmelo Anthony. Easy enough too.

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Wow. That was horrible. Paul Peirce? LOL. That's about as asinine as a recommendation for Yao Ming to study Chris Paul.

newsflash: carl landry is a power forward with no post game. here's a thought - how about work on a jump hook or something before we start patterning our game after one of the most dynamic perimeter players in the league.

14. lalala902102001

I think that Scola is already better than Troy Murphy.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Scola will never be able to shoot from 3.

16. Bassem

Bassem Member

I think if Luis and Carl can get those mid-range jumpers consistently, then they'll be more dangerous than ever, cause they got their inside game down pretty well.

Of course there's always room for improvement, and through experience and time, hopefully they can improve their defense and outside game.

17. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

I think asking our power forwards to learn the three point shot would be a little too much.

Remember what happened to Chris Webber? He could have been a very good low post player if he just stayed consistent and played within his position. Instead he wanted to do everything else including the three point shot. I think it really took away from his game.

I agree with everyone else that having a very consistent mid-range jumper would help spread the floor for our cutters, and draw defensive pressure from our other players.

As for Aaron Brooks, I think he has the potential of being a better shooter than Chris Paul. It'd be great if he studied how to play better defense though. His smaller size hurts a lot when we play bigger point guards.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Why does everyone want 3 point shooting PFs? Sure, it is a great skill to have a but a guy's offseason could be spent learning/practicing more important things.

I don't remember McHale, Barkley, Malone, Duncan etc being marksman from behind the line. I do remember them being deadly in the post and from 15 feet in.

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I....feel.....sorry....for those that have to pay to get this kind of information. I really do.

Here's some similar insider stuff for the veteran players for FREE (I am not going to charge you guys for this. I want to be able to sleep at night).... I will even add a few FREE pics for those who cant read.

What do Shane Battier and Rodman have in common? They are/were both quality role players. Therefore, I see no good reason as to why Battier cant average about 15-20 rebounds per game once he gets a few of Rodman's tricks down.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Loren Woods has a lot going for him. He is tall, very long, has great height, superb vertical size, has long limbs, wears size 20 shoes, and can jump when he puts his mind to it. He just needs to learn how to harness all that potential. Enter Keith Van Horn.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Steve Francis and John Elway should have hooked up long time ago. One likes to show up for the Superbowl, while the other never does. Talk about a bizzare role reversal.

Sometimes too much of something can be detrimental. Arron Brooks is too fast for his own good. Some quality time with the likes of Shawn Bradley and Geroge Muhresan will slow down his footwork and get him to speed with the game. Added bonus: 4 blocks a season average not to be overlooked.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Tracy McGrady has the whole package. Sometimes though, its the simple things though that tend to be overlooked. Take for example free throws. McGrady has been miserable all season long from the free throw line. It is time he got in touch with Nick Anderson.

While we are on free throws (if you can call it free for this team)....when you bring up Rockets and free throws, the first thing that comes to basketball fans around the world in this day of globalization, is, Chuck Hayes. Hayes has tried every variation of the free throw to induce lane violations..

a) Tip toe at the FT line, swing, hitch, fade
    b) Tip toe at the FT line, hitch, hitch, one handed throw
    c) Back heels, leaning back, hitch, shoot
    d) swing, hitch, swing, lean sideways, heave.
    e) many more to come.....

Of all the people on this list, Chuck probably has the most degree of freedom when it comes to who he can go to for help. Since being on a professional NBA team and going thru multiple coaches has not helped him in this regard (imagine being a financial analyst on Wall st., surrounded by financial smarties everyday, and not being able to write a check), it is time Chuck Hayes got hold of a 10 year old in his neighborhood.

[​IMG]

Mike Harris went to Rice university. Ricky Pierce went to Rice university. That's all that needs to be said.

Luther Head likes to show up for regular season but disappears in the playoffs. Robert Horry likes to show up for the playoffs but disappears in the regular season. Luther needs to set a date with Horry to set his priorities straight.

[​IMG]

It is hard to imagine than someone like Bobby Jackson, at his age, could think that he has room for improvement. Your perspective on age, life, and cryogenics change though, when you get traded to Rockets, and you see a walking, somewhat talking fossil, in Mutombo in your locker room.

[​IMG]

Novak has the outside shooting pat. He would be slightly better if he developed a power game. His ideal mentor would be Shaq. Couple of charge in with shoulder dunks in the first quarter with will open things up for him substantially.

Mutombo with ball handling skills would be tempting the league into making some rule changes . Imagine Deke getting a block and then instead of making an outlet pass, initiating the fast break by himself, ala Magic Johnson.

Rafer Alston. It is time that Rockets and most importantly Rafer himself learned that.... he is all they need at PG.

[​IMG]

Yao Ming - the next super center on Rockets. Hakeem Olajuwon the previous super center on the Rockets. This is right out of a fairy tale. If you are a Rockets fan this is like Christian Bale picking up the role of Batman where Michael Keaton left it at. If Rockets repulse you, its like Heath Ledger picking up the role of the Joker where Jack Nicholson left it at. What would it take for them to meet up for an hour or so over the summer and Yao picking up his athletic ability in just one session? Perhaps if we are lucky, we could even witness a video of such a meeting on yourtube someday....One can only Dream....

#19 Zboy, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  20. Precision340

Precision340 Member

who is this david thorpe guy? we don't need 3 pt shooting PF... they shouldn't even roam anywhere near the 3 pt line

david thorpe needs to study bill simmons