1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bud Adams wants Vince to come in and save the world!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tigereye, Oct 27, 2009.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091027/SPORTS01/910270354/Titans+owner+wants+Vince+Young+to+start

Titans owner Bud Adams wants Vince Young starting at quarterback beginning with Sunday's game against the Jaguars.

Following the 59-0 loss to the Patriots on Oct. 18 that dropped the Titans to 0-6, Adams told The Tennessean he'd made Coach Jeff Fisher aware of his desire to see Young play.

In the past week the 86-year-old owner has been more direct, according to sources familiar with the situation. Adams wants the change now.

Adams and Fisher could not be reached for comment on Monday night.

At his weekly press conference earlier in the day, Fisher was non-committal when asked if Kerry Collins or Young would start this week, citing competitive reasons. It was the first time this season Fisher did not immediately say Collins would remain the starter.

"We've had a week to do some different things and considering the circumstances we're in right now with the record, there's things that you need to do differently," Fisher said. "Let's just say I am not going to be as specific and open-ended from a competitive standpoint."

Fisher made it clear, however, that he remained confident in Collins, who has completed 54.8 percent of his passes while throwing five touchdowns and eight interceptions. Young saw mop-up duty the past two games, going 0-for-5 with an interception.

Neither Collins nor Young have been informed about their status. They aren't scheduled to be back from the bye weekend until today, when the Titans begin preparing for the Jaguars. There are indications the quarterback situation could continue to evolve over the next few days.

Last week Collins said he expected to remain the starter. Both quarterbacks worked with the first team offense, but that was no different than previous bye weeks.

While Fisher reiterated on Monday that some lineup changes could be in store, he again classified them as "minor.''

"Both quarterbacks had a good week,'' Fisher said. "But (Collins) had an especially good week last week. … I am not going to go into details about lineup changes. Those are competitive issues.''

When the Titans started 0-3 in 2006, Young replaced Collins, guided the team to an 8-8 finish and was named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.

The third overall pick of the 2006 draft, Young went 18-11 in 29 starts over his first three seasons, but he's been the backup since suffering a knee injury in the second half of the Sept. 9, 2008 game against the Jaguars.

Adams told The Tennessean last week he feels the Titans now need to see what they have in Young, who's scheduled to count $14.2 million against the salary cap next season.

The Titans signed Collins to a two-year, $14 million contract in the offseason.

"I have been wanting (Fisher) to play Vince Young more because Collins has been having his problems out there,'' Adams said. "I just think we need to find out how well (Young) can do.

"If you don't play the guy and lose all your games, it is hard for you to see what he can do for you. Vince has won a lot of games for us.''

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't know what Vince did to Fisher, but it is obvious that Collins can play QB on a team with a strong defense and a decent running game, but nothing more.

It is time for them to find out if Vince has an NFL career.....

Vince....it's go time.

DD

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Owners should not meddle.

That said, having Vince Young start would be more entertaining for sure.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You think?

signed - disgruntled raider fan.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

When a 14 million dollar option is coming up, if I was the owner I would want to know what we have there.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, i rarely agree with anything bud adams does or says....but if i'm paying that check, i'd sure like to know what i have. particularly when i'm without a win heading in to week 8.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

That dude is 86.

Who wants to buy the titans and move them to Houston. Have them build a yard in downtown where Oscar de la hoya field is suppose to be at?

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Start him.

9. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

After he ripped out my heart in the mid-90s, 5 words I thought I would never say: 'I agree with Bud Adams."

10. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Wasn't it Bud's pick to begin with? I don't think the coaching staff ever wanted him.

Much like was said earlier, owners should not meddle.

Moe, how do you feel about Crabtree already having a better season than Heyward-Bey?

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

actually, it's looking more and more like we can't afford the stadiums we've already built!

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Jeff Fisher knows, or at least has a very strong opinion. I guess there's a chance some sort of light can go on in Vince though.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They also have to decide if they want to pick up his contract, which is pretty big, for next season. This season is already over, as an owner, I would like to see if this guy was worth investing in.

14. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

They need a reason that he's a still a good value in a trade, nothing more.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Fire Fisher and build the team around Vince.

16. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't know why people keeping asking for my take on this.

I already went ape**** when we blew the pick on the kid.

Crabtree, Eugene Monroe, BJ Raji, Brian Cushing, Brian Orakpo all on the board.

Nothing left to say but Just Die, Baby!

18. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I thought it was relevant to the "owners should not meddle" theme. :D

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You are right, but this is the move that should be made. I was going to say I don't mind it in this instance, but considering Fisher makes the personnel decisions as well, the decision to retain Vince Young or cut him next year should belong to him unless Adams fires him.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Sink or swim time.