1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do we currently have now and Who do you think will get cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leangle25, Oct 1, 2014.

1. leangle25

leangle25 Member

Just wondering.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ish and Covington. I would be very surprised if Adrein doesn't make the team.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Current Roster is at 20. End of camp roster needs to be trimmed to 15.

-Current-

PG: Beverley, Canaan, Smith
    SG: Harden, Terry, Garcia, Daniels, Johnson
    SF: Ariza, Papanikolaou, Covington
    PF: Jones, Motiejunas, Adrien, Capela, Powell, Mitchell
    C: Howard, Dorsey, Black

-Guaranteed to be on final roster-(unless there is a trade) - 11

PG: Beverley, Canaan
    SG: Harden, Terry, Johnson
    SF: Ariza, Papanikolaou
    PF: Jones, Motiejunas, Capela
    C: Howard

Which leaves 9 guys fighting for 4 spots.

-Guys who are almost surely guaranteed to be cut-

Black, Mitchell

Which leaves 7 guys realistically fighting for 4 spots.

Smith, Garcia, Daniels, Covington, Adrien, Powell, Dorsey

This is where the battle will get interesting in training camp. I think due to the duplication & fact Terry & Johnson can play the point if needed, Ish Smith gets cut. Powell I think is next due to duplication at PF. Lastly I think Covington is let go. Teams like the Sixers will jump at the chance at getting him on the contract he's on and I think you might even see him get traded for rights to a Euro prospect or something.

Garcia, Daniels, Adrien, and Dorsey seem to make the most sense for the final 4 players on the roster to make it.

However keep in mind that the final 7 will have to EARN their rotation spot in camp. This is COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE opinion. Someone like Powell might have an amazing camp and end up pushing Adrien out of the final 4. Who knows. We just have to wait and see, but this is one of the more compelling things to watch during preseason in those meaningless games when the starters sit, and we watch most of these guys on the floor for the final half of what seems like a pointless game.

1 person likes this.
  4. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I think Daniels is pretty much guaranteed to make the roster..

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

6. basketballholic

We signed Ish Smith because of a possible gutting of the point guard spot in trade. He may get cut if a trade doesn't happen b4 the season starts.

Josh Powell has a shot of making the final roster if he is not traded because he has the ability to spread the floor with his shooting. If Powell is not traded along with another player or two in some sort of roster consolidation trade and Terence and DMo go through training camp slopping up 30% from distance, the odds increase substantially that he will be on the final roster.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Guaranteed to make it: 12

Beverley / Nick Johnson
    Harden / Daniels / Terry
    Ariza / Papanikolaou
    TJones / DMo / Capela
    Howard / Dorsey

No one with a multi-year guarantee will get cut.

The last 3 spots can be divided into 3 groups: Guards, Wings, and Bigs

Guards

I don't think Canaan is as sure of a thing as everyone else does. I do think he will make the roster, but if Ish clearly outplays him, I could see us going a difference direction. Both have guaranteed salaries this season. Canaan is non-guaranteed next year. Ish is a UFA.

So one of:

Canaan
    Ish

Wings

Morey has said repeatedly that the rockets are high on Covington. I think the contract to Garcia was related to a promise we made him in order to open up cap room for a free agent. When that fell through, we gave Garcia the contract as promised, but did not guarantee a roster spot. One other words, the spot is wide open.

Mitchell is almost certainly headed to the D-league.

Garcia
    Covington
    Mitchell

Bigs

This is more clear cut (IMO) than the others. Powell is completely non-guaranteed, and I don't know if he ever played a minute for us last year. Black is headed to D-league. Adrien is guaranteed, and fits the mold of what we are looking for in the interior.

Powell
    Adrien
    Blank

Final Roster

Beverley / Canaan / Johnson
    Harden / Daniels / Terry
    Ariza / Papanikolaou / Covington
    TJones / DMo / Adrien / Capela
    Howard / Dorsey

8. Dwight_Hard

Dwight_Hard Member

whoever thinks Garcia isn't making the team is crazy the dudes in the new rockets video

#pursuit .. capella and nick Johnson both going to d league 1st year.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup daniels is a lock

10. midgetballa624

Beverley/Canaan
    Harden/Terry/Daniels/Johnson
    Ariza/Papanikolaou/Garcia
    Jones/Motiejunas/Adrien
    Howard/Dorsey/Capela

This is what I think will happen if no trades or anything go down before the start of the season. I know the Rockets are high on Covington so I'm curious to see what they do there. You can bet if he gets cut someone (Philly) is gonna scoop him up.

11. Pete the Cheat

I would be shocked if it wasn't the 15 above. Covington is most likely cut then relegated to the D-League again.

My adjustment would be in the distribution though:

Beverley/Terry/Canaan
    Harden/Daniels/Johnson (D-League)
    Ariza/Papanikolaou/Garcia
    Jones/Motiejunas/Adrien
    Howard/Dorsey/Capela (D-League)

12. dobro1229

Pretty much a guarantee yes. Same with Garcia and Dorsey. However I still put him in that group just because I didn't want to leave any stone un-turned.

Less likely, more likely doesn't really matter right now. If someone has a great camp and they have a terrible one, I've seen crazier things happen.

The fact is there is a group of 7 and only 4 of those 7 are getting on the final roster unless there is a trade.... which doesn't look likely at this point.

Those 4 guys MUST prove themselves in camp & the preseason to EARN that spot.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

great writeup, repped

14. dobro1229

Go ask Clutch how many variations of the Rockets intro video he's seen in one season due to trades, cuts, etc.

The Rockets media folks are pretty much experts at working around that by now.

Garcia has a good shot at making the final cut, but just because he has guaranteed $ doesn't really mean anything if he gets outperformed in camp & the preseason.

Must I remind you guys that Daryl Morey is the same GM just a couple years ago waived over 7 million in GUARANTEED contracts during training camp? If you think any of these 7 players have any guarantees other than their contract amounts, you are wrong.

15. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

I dont wanna lose Covington...I just feel there's something special with that kid and personally want the Rockets to keep him. Also, would love Ish to make the team...SPEED KILLS.

But, unless there is a trade the final cuts are probably: Mitchell, Black, Powell, Ish and Covington.

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

ish &.cannon ...we went from twin T experiment, to tiny dual experiment..

17. dobro1229

Agree about Covington but its all up to him. He's going to have to separate himself in camp and the preseason. He needs to have worked on his ball handling and perimeter defense in order to show he can play the 3 more effective than Garcia who is his primary competition.

If he kills it in training camp & shows well in the preseason games, I think he gives the Rockets a tough decision if its not already going to be tough.

18. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

You gotta remind me on this one:confused:...sometimes this revolving door of assets/players confuses me about past transactions.

Yes I agree 100% was hoping for him to just completely ball out while I watched him in the Vegas SL, that just did not happen.

I was severely disappointed but, the more and more I thought about it, it made me believe he NEEDS to be on the floor with better players (Harden, Howard, Bevs, T.Jones) to be effective. Also, his post defense is concerning but love his length. This is all just my opinion though :eek:

19. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

This!

20. dobro1229

2012 -13 Rockets training camp roster cuts-

Gary Forbes - 1.5
    Lazar Hayward - 1.174
    J. Johnson - 1.12
    Brockman - 1
    Livingston - 1
    Honeycutt- .8

Sorry it was 6.6 Million. Not quite 7 million but you get the idea I hope.

The fact is Livingston and Forbes were probably going to be bigger contributors to that 2012/13 Rockets team than Garcia will end up being for the 2014/15 Rockets so I wouldn't go ahead and pencil him in for anything yet.

FYI I love Cisco. That guy is worth it for the entertainment value of him vs. Durant alone. It would be sad to see him go, but if its because a youngster came in and took the spot from the vets, than its for the betterment of the team.

He looks the part, but his game thus far has resembled more of a traditional stretch 4 than an a long athletic 3 who can also shoot.

I dunno. We will see starting next week. The preseason games are always very interesting to me for these reasons most casual fans don't care about.