1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets plan to pick up options on Jones and Motiejunas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Sep 30, 2014.

1. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Geez people, last season was essentially Jones' rookie season. Remember we let him play a season in the DLeague rather than rot the bench getting 15 minutes a game. I get that Aldridge killed us in the playoffs. If you haven't noticed by now, Aldridge is MVP material. Maybe we should have moved Howard to Aldridge during Game 1.

In any case, can someone please bring up an advanced statistic chart that shows Jones is as terrible on defense as people are saying?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I expect him to improve, a lot of the reason why he was so poor on defense was because he never seemed to know where to be on the court or how to properly rotate. He'll always struggle against big PF's because of his lack of size, but if he could learn the mental side of defense, he'd be a lot better.

DRAPM -1.45

For comparison's sake Howard was 4.69, Asik was 4.24, DMo was 1.28, Harden was -2.65

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There is no good stat that gives you a reliable picture on individual defense. Maybe Morey or some analytic guru have something. But there's nothing available to the public. All defensive stats are flawed when it comes to measuring defensive impact a player has. We are pretty much left with the eye test.

4. elainas

elainas Member

I'm still think this year DMO will play more at 5, and more training agains Dwigth: I allways remember good example M.Gortat - he was Dwigth backup (~4ppg,~5rpg)- And look what he become. DMO has much better offence- so my expectations will remain high.

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Don't forget whoever was checking Damien Lillard was completely destroyed for the series as well LOL. Who was defending Lillard?

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Very astute point. With Howard, Jones and Ariza the rockets probably have the top shot blocking front line in the league and I think Dunn will somehow use that to their advantage.

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Would love to see us trade Jones plus cap fodder for Ryan Anderson after it becomes clear he is back from his injury.