1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GRE Recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DudeWah, May 24, 2016.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Hey guys. I've taken the GRE once and scored in the 160's for each (combined score 320's). This was fine for the time being.

But I want to go to a better school for the rest of my graduate studies, so does anyone have any GRE prep they can recommend? I'm going to take it again sometime this summer and I want to get a 330 at least. My main focus is at least a 166 on quant.

I know there's a poster here (who I can't remember) that scored in the high 160's for quant and verbal who shared strategies before. I think he worked as a standardized test tutor or something like that for a time as well.

Really hoping for that poster to chime in.

Anyway any recommendations?

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

No one?

Man I really wish I knew what to search for so I could find one of the old threads on this topic that I am looking for.

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I believe I took a Kaplan course when I as preparing for my GRE.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

I probably can't help you out, as I'm in the process of taking the GRE (for the first time), myself.

But if it's any help, I've heard great things about Magoosh.

https://gre.magoosh.com/

For physical books, I'm using Manhattan Prep's 5 lb. practice problems book, and ETS's own study guide. And using Magoosh, as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Practice-Prob...ks&ie=UTF8&qid=1464292894&sr=1-3&keywords=gre

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guid...ks&ie=UTF8&qid=1464292894&sr=1-7&keywords=gre

Congrats on your solid score, btw! What did you use, to study? And what program are you looking to get into? With your focus in math, I'm assuming something in engineering?

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

The GRE test is below us, 99% of the board has mensa membership.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Just get a book . But that can only help you with math . My advice for verbal would be to just read a lot , try to read some books , maybe try to read critically . Then take about a week to learn vocabulary . Make your own flash cards instead of buying . The act of writing it down probably helps .

For the math part I got a GRE prep book with practice problem . Did about 2 weeks of practice maybe like 1 hour a day .

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You're on the right track. When I took it the first time, I basically just reviewed some concepts using the 5lb Manhattan book that you're using. The ETS book is great too as the exam looks very similar to the practice tests in there.

I didn't even use the powerprep CD, but I will this time.

Really, the first time I basically didn't prepare way too much. I definitely need to put in the time this go around.

I think I'm going to use Magoosh, it seems good. A lot of the problems on the GRE are just learned through repetition and Magoosh seems to have a strong question bank.

I want to do a masters in statistics this time around. So getting in the high 160's from the low 160's is very important.

When are you planning on taking it? Let's keep each other updated!

8. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Worst advice ever.

For verbal, get Princeton Review's Word Smart (2 volumes) for GRE.

Thank me later.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

wish I could help, but I took the GMAT without any prep and did average at best. I didn't care to go to a big time school. All I know is, it's just as important to rest for the test and the approach at how you take this exam as it is to know material. Be calm, confident, eliminate wrong answers, read the question more than once to make sure it's not a tricky or wordy question, etc. Best of luck!

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I did Kaplan classes for GMAT and LSAT.

Scored top 10% in both, so I would recommend.

11. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Honestly, get a big book of example questions. That's what worked for me.

Then again, after being in grad school and getting everything ready for my defense, I can't help but wonder why the hell I did it. It's a lot of work, is it really even worth it? I should have been a business major or nursing or something and said FU PhD.

13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member